Home – New Forums Starting your journey What is your #1 practical and inspirational tip for business newbies?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    ::

As the title suggests, I want FS members who have already started their business to give their number 1 tip that could help everyone who have just started, or are planning to start a new business.

My practical one is: Adjust your business model to suit what the market is saying to you.

My inspirational one is: Don’t give up because you have had a bad day and are feeling pessimistic. Make that decision based on facts, not emotion.

Please share yours!

BlackCoffeeComms
    • Total posts: 472
    Up

However many billable hours you THINK you have – halve it, then work out your hourly rate.

Working on the business (especially generating leads and converting them) takes much longer than expected.

Cheers

Nicole

And Matthew – your tip is exactly what I am doing right now!

BlackCoffeeComms
    • Total posts: 472
    Up

However many billable hours you THINK you have – halve it, then work out your hourly rate.

Working on the business (especially generating leads and converting them) takes much longer than expected.

Cheers

Nicole

And Matthew – your tip is exactly what I am doing right now!

xceed
    • Total posts: 15
    Up

I have said it before but will say it again. In a selling sense ” Never accept a ‘NO’ from someone not in a position to say ‘YES’. ” Too often people are deflected and give up at the first hurdle by receptionists and the like without even getting to the decision maker.

Practical advice – Don’t use a mobile phone number as your main source of contact – doesn’t look professional to me. If you really have no other choice use your home land line and have it diverted to your mobile ( * 21 mobile number # )

xceed
    Up

I have said it before but will say it again. In a selling sense ” Never accept a ‘NO’ from someone not in a position to say ‘YES’. ” Too often people are deflected and give up at the first hurdle by receptionists and the like without even getting to the decision maker.

Practical advice – Don’t use a mobile phone number as your main source of contact – doesn’t look professional to me. If you really have no other choice use your home land line and have it diverted to your mobile ( * 21 mobile number # )

Geronimo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 237
    Up

If you’re working more than 8 hours a day after 12 months of operation, something’s not right.

Geronimo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 237
    Up

If you’re working more than 8 hours a day after 12 months of operation, something’s not right.

xceed
    Up
    Elsee, post: 114694 wrote:

Cant agree with that Elsee. I have always worked from 7am to at least 5pm – often later and business is doing very well and been going for over 6 years. Cant imagine anyone working for themselves doing a 9 to 5.

xceed
    Up
    Elsee, post: 114694 wrote:

Cant agree with that Elsee. I have always worked from 7am to at least 5pm – often later and business is doing very well and been going for over 6 years. Cant imagine anyone working for themselves doing a 9 to 5.

Adam Stanecki
    • Total posts: 131
    Up

Great thread idea!

Practical – invest in a virtual assistant (no, I’m not selling my service). This is honestly the most rewarding thing I’ve done in my businesses. I get more done in the same amount of time and can leverage the exchange rate.

Inspirational – NEVER GIVE UP. You may need to change your goals or change direction, that’s ok. Adapt but never give up. Not everyone succeeds in their first business (in fact, few do), just keep going forward.

Adam Stanecki
    • Total posts: 131
    Up

Great thread idea!

Practical – invest in a virtual assistant (no, I’m not selling my service). This is honestly the most rewarding thing I’ve done in my businesses. I get more done in the same amount of time and can leverage the exchange rate.

Inspirational – NEVER GIVE UP. You may need to change your goals or change direction, that’s ok. Adapt but never give up. Not everyone succeeds in their first business (in fact, few do), just keep going forward.

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

Unless your business is unique, don’t expect to have all that touted extra time as a soloist.

This can be changed through employing staff (moving from ‘in’ to ‘on’ the business) or selecting a business model that provides you with the flexibility you want.

Fortunately I have the latter.

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

Unless your business is unique, don’t expect to have all that touted extra time as a soloist.

This can be changed through employing staff (moving from ‘in’ to ‘on’ the business) or selecting a business model that provides you with the flexibility you want.

Fortunately I have the latter.

bluepenguin
    • Total posts: 1,026
    Up

Outsource things that:

You can’t do
    Don’t want to do
    Hold you back from doing the things you can bill people for

bluepenguin
    • Total posts: 1,026
    Up

Outsource things that:

You can’t do
    Don’t want to do
    Hold you back from doing the things you can bill people for

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.