Home Forums Marketing mastery What is your brand??

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Johny
    • Total posts: 840

Last week my wife asked me if I could deliver a package for her at 4.00pm, as a convenience to her customer. I told her I had a meeting at 3.30 so couldn’t do that, but could deliver at 3.00pm, prior to my meeting. She contacted the recipient and arranged for me to deliver at 3.00

I arrive at 2.55 for delivery and no one is there to collect. By 3.15 I am contacting my wife asking what’s going on. Finally we make contact with the recipient at 3.35 who says they are still about 20 minutes away.

She had no intention of being there at 3.00pm as arranged, and I ended up leaving the package worth a good amount of money at the front door.

The flow on from this is that I had to then delay my meeting, essentially impacting how my client views me.

I can barely remember the last time I had a meeting that wasn’t delayed, cancelled, rescheduled for whatever reason.

I also keep reading about the importance of websites, logos, the “new” digital world, how many hash tags to add to your message, etc, etc. etc.

Those are tools.

If you are a small business owner – you are the brand.

There ain’t nothing new about that!!

P,S. No matter how good this person may be, and I appreciate in this case they are the customer, I would probably not use their service simply because they couldn’t be arsed to do what they said they would. And I won’t be making any more deliveries.

Rowan@quaotic
    Participant
    • Total posts: 712

I have no patience for people who are not on time, customers or not, and don’t let me know. They are generally not worth the effort of a continuing relationship if they don’t appreciate that other people have time constraints.

heylouise
    Participant
    • Total posts: 86

I had a client ask me if I could take a friend-of-a-friend home just because I had a car. Nu-uh! Gotta set some boundaries.

Johny

I placed an order for 3 items over a week ago on a Tuesday. I was told I could either have 2 of them by Thursday, or wait a week and all 3 could be delivered as they were out of stock of the third item.

I decided to wait the week so I could receive all 3 items together.

Order was received yesterday with only 2 items. Am told the third item is out of stock again. Never received any sort of notification, or even an idea of when/where/how I can get the third item.

This company spends a lot advertising their products/services, both online and off. But when it comes to the crunch, how does this affect their brand?

Wheras before I was happy with them, now I am looking for a new supplier. Sadly, not because I think someone else will be better, is just so that I have options.

With more and more selling the benefits of digital, have we lost the art of actually “doing”?

Johny

I have no patience for people who are not on time, customers or not, and don’t let me know. They are generally not worth the effort of a continuing relationship if they don’t appreciate that other people have time constraints.

I agree.

When it comes to promoting my products/services I often accept that if I can’t get my foot in the door, it is probably my fault as much as anything for not selling myself well enough.

But once you make a commitment as a buyer/seller, its up to you to do everything you can to deliver, I think.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,472
    Johny, post: 267578, member: 34822 wrote:
    With more and more selling the benefits of digital, have we lost the art of actually “doing”?

You look at any marketers or business advisers offerings, and as you say it’s all about digital, websites, LinkedIn, etc, etc, etc, etc. Not one of them mentions that old fashioned thing called ”CUSTOMER SERVICE”

Customer service needs to be number one, two and three on the list of important things in your business, then you need to find ways to get the business, no point spending mega dollars marketing your business and loosing the client after the first interaction.

Joli
    • Total posts: 37

I feel your frustration Johny

There are a few too many people who lack integrity and don’t do what they say they’ll do by when they said they’d do it.

I’ve even had other business people display that lack of integrity.
    For e.g. in a Facebook biz group a fellow business woman organised a B2B catch up to which I drove 30mins to get there, paid for onsite parking. 15mins after our scheduled meeting time she is no where to be seen. I text her to ask where she is. She replies, the weather is crappy, can we take a rain check!

I was already there and it seems she had no intention of arriving or letting me know she wasn’t coming. Not a qualm in the world for having taken an hour + out of my day.

In your case, this being a customer of your wife’s, how does one respond to her actions?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.