Home Forums Selling online What kind of gift will push the sale over the line ?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Bunyip
    • Total posts: 39

Hi,
    I’ve got an online camping shop and want to offer a kick arse deal for Christmas.
    I want to add something to one of my main products ( a thermal cooking pot) to make the offer irresistible but also prevent me from loosing money on it. I’m thinking of adding an additional cooking bag/thermal bag to go with the pot but I want to do more then that.
    What would push you over the edge and make you super excited to buy online ?

Dave – FS Concierge
    • Total posts: 2,541

Express delivery. Especially close to Xmas. And gift-wrapping.

ScarlettR
    • Total posts: 396

Free express shipping for Xmas. It’s why I buy at bookdepository over other online stores. They’re in the UK and get me my delivery super fast, super free.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485

Often the gifts given are items that get thrown in the back of a cupboard and never used. I would rather have you take the cost of the gift off the Thermal Pot, so I am getting what I really want at the cheapest possible price.

Bunyip

Thanks, I hadn’t thought of express delivery. That might be a little costly when I ship Aust wide and it’s not a small product. But I could do something along those lines for sure.

Bunyip

How about lower price from $210 to $190 once signed up ?

bb1
    Participant
    Bunyip, post: 220265, member: 64717 wrote:
    How about lower price from $210 to $190 once signed up ?
    Not sure what you mean by this
    Bunyip
    bb1, post: 220266, member: 53375 wrote:
    Not sure what you mean by this
    just that once you sign up for the mailing list you get $20 off the pot.
    bb1
    Participant

That sounds better for someone who is interested in price, but that’s as long as you haven’t just inflated the price to cover the deal. But definitely the way for price conscious people. Do remember that some will sign up to get the deal and than unsubscribe afterwards, but you really want the sale so that’s not the big worry.

In regards to Dave and Scarlett’s request for express postage, good idea, but remember that will up your price (or cut your profit), and someone who is organized and buys things well before xmas, will be thinking I am paying higher postage costs because Dave and Scarlett (sorry just an example), didn’t order their presents in time. Personally, I would have the lowest possible sale price, and give express post for an extra $10.00 (or whatever the real cost is).

I recently bought a new mower, both had a head office offer of an accessories kit with $50 for free. I suggested to bot that they don’t give me the kit and take the $50.00 off, one refused. The other took $30 off (as that was the real cost to them), you can guess who got the sale.

Bunyip

yes I think you’re right as long as the quality is good it’s all about the price. Honestly I’d be happy to wait longer for deliver then pay for express postage and cost & trust are always deciding factors for me when buying online or instore.

ScarlettR
    Bunyip, post: 220264, member: 64717 wrote:
    Thanks, I hadn’t thought of express delivery. That might be a little costly when I ship Aust wide and it’s not a small product. But I could do something along those lines for sure.

Why not include it into the price of the product and say shipping is free? Then the shipping is technically free but you’re not out of pocket?

Happy2Invoice
    • Total posts: 54

Hi Bunyip,

In this day and age regardless of who the client is, everybody is looking for Value For Money, impress on this if your product truly has the USP in that respect.

Inflate the price by 20%, then have a #Buy Now and save 20% “offer ends on: XYZ date”. Preferably offer ends February 2016.

Hope this helps?

Johny
    • Total posts: 840

“Inflate the price by 20%, then have a #Buy Now and save 20% “offer ends on: XYZ date”. Preferably offer ends February 2016.

If there isn’t some provision in the trade practices act to prevent that, there should be.

ScarlettR
    Johny, post: 220345, member: 34822 wrote:
    “Inflate the price by 20%, then have a #Buy Now and save 20% “offer ends on: XYZ date”. Preferably offer ends February 2016.

If there isn’t some provision in the trade practices act to prevent that, there should be.

How do you think Harris Scarf get away with constantly slashing prices by 50-75%? By inflating prices that much and making it look ‘discounted’.

Johny
    • Total posts: 840

If I have a product with a retail price of say $100 and at a certain time have a sale (for whatever reason) and reduce the price by however many %, then at least the price is based on the standard starting point that the product was being sold at in the normal course of business. I know what the original price was and I have a choice as to whether I accept it or not, or whether I go and buy my products elsewhere. I imagine that’s why people wait for sales. They know the normal price and are waiting for the discount.

If Harris Scarf are manipulating their sales and discounts so that they are not real sales or discounts then they shouldn’t get away with it in my opinion, and to answer your question.

If I have a product with a retail price of say $100, inflate that price by 20% to $120, then say I am having a sale stating 20% discount, then that discount isn’t real and isn’t based on what was a standard initial retail price.

If you think that is OK that’s fine, I think it is deceptive.

If Harris Scarf is constantly doing as you say it may not be the same thing, but does offer a reason why many Australians prefer to buy goods from overseas. But that may change a bit come 2017 (I think) when some new taxes for goods bought overseas come into play, from what I have read.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.