Home – New Forums Marketing mastery What kind of promo gear should we invest in?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Kokoronkwo
    • Total posts: 27
    Up
    ::

We have a new service to offer, and I’m wondering what the most successful ‘freebee’ ‘giveaways’ you hand out to potential customers?

Do stubbie holders & squishy stress balls still work?
    Just looking for some new, cost effective ideas :)

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

Hi Katrina,
    I suggest we need to delve deeper into the marketing process.

The marketing objectives of free “giveaways” like stubbie holders and stressballs are usually aimed at brand name awareness issues.

So, where are you in your marketing process?

• Are you in a brand new service market where awareness is low?
    • Are you in an established market with lots of competitors?
    • Are you in a market where there is a regular repurchase frequency?
    • Are you in a market where there are only small product advantages?

To put it another way, what message would you display on a stubbie holder? (I’m not seeing much marketing value here…)

You seem to be targeting a brand new Internet communications service (“augmanted reality”). Your primary problem is likely to be that potential clients do not perceive any benefit from your service.

Your service will be dead if you can’t hold customer’s attention long enough to show them the benefis of what you offer.

If this is so, you need to sort out this marketing communications issue before you worry about any promotional items.
    Regs,
    JohnW

Kokoronkwo
    Up

Hi John,

Brilliant advice, much appreciated. You are exactly right, our particular product (AR, as well as other 3D services) requires significant education rather than just branding some promo gear.

We are not at the stage to just build brand awareness, moreso a targeted effort to pursuade clients of the technology itself. So it’s a no for the stress balls ;)

Thanks for your insight.

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up
    Kokoronkwo, post: 241822, member: 88281 wrote:
    So it’s a no for the stress balls ;)

If you change your mind, I’ve heard good results have been had with promotional socks.
    They’re a bit different, people actually wear them, and they can be a talking point at trade shows.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    JohnTranter, post: 241843, member: 20554 wrote:
    If you change your mind, I’ve heard good results have been had with promotional socks.
    They’re a bit different, people actually wear them, and they can be a talking point at trade shows.

But the important question is, are they a promo for your business or the sock manufacturer, sure they have your logo, but people are talking about the socks not your logo.

Question – How much of this promotional stuff actually doesn’t end up in file 13 or the back of a drawer forgotten 2 seconds after it is handed to you.

Kokoronkwo
    Up

Ha! Socks is a new one for me – thanks for the new idea.
    But yes, I do agree now that promo gear could be a money pit that doesn’t give the return we are after… although the person at the time might enjoy the novelty.

Sus2k
    • Total posts: 24
    Up

Depending on your product and services, but I found Pens and Promo cards seems to work well for me :) old school.

IMAG1958.jpg

thekindconsultant
    • Total posts: 105
    Up

The thing I dislike about a lot of merch is quality. Do you really want your brand associated with a piece of junk? If you’re going to do it, make sure you spend the money and buy quality.

thekindconsultant
    • Total posts: 105
    Up

Sorry if this seems blunt, Sus2k, but it relates to my other comment. Your brand is apparently in the business of promoting fine detailing and quality cufflinks. Why would you associate your brand with what look to be cheap merchy pens? Isn’t that a bit confused?

Kokoronkwo
    Up

Thanks for your comments everyone. I always think pens are a good option – they are a useful item that isn’t tossed in a drawer never to be used again.

In the short term I’m now thinking give-aways are not a good option for us, but for a long term marketing plan we could probably invest in some quality items & make them ‘AR enabled’ (ie; customer points their phone at it to activate a 3D experience).

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    thekindconsultant, post: 241867, member: 65902 wrote:
    The thing I dislike about a lot of merch is quality. Do you really want your brand associated with a piece of junk? If you’re going to do it, make sure you spend the money and buy quality.
    Excellent point, every free pen I have received has either fallen apart or stopped working, not really a good or ongoing advert for a business
    Mischelle
    • Total posts: 805
    Up

Hi,

Bottom line is cheap promo products are out….. Keep the higher end items for good solid leads at events and presentations.

This has always been a bit of an issue when I do trade shows, Yes in the past pens and stress balls where the big thing, now they are going over the top, but you need to make sure you have a few things.

I always have a tiered approach to giving out promo products. You can get the gist of true interest in a person by talking to them, and this helps sort out the tire kickers.

My tiered approach is (mostly for trade shows):

Tier 1 – Have pens ready for the tire kickers (this is solely brand awareness). These are people that are walking around with bags of feebies and are vaguely interested to try and get promo products. (They are out there trust me)

Tier 2 – Have brochures or in your case digital brochures ready and if someone stays around for a demo, give them the next tier promo item (Notepads, ear buds etc.)

Tier 3 – They go through the demo and show interest and give you their business card, these guys are good leads so they get the full gamut of promo gear (water bottles, eco note pads etc OR more tech stuff relating to your product) Remember these are only for the higher end who you are sure will pick up the premium side.

Personal presentations:

I leave branded eco friendly notepads and pens with all attendee at a presentation obviously with my business card as well. If they sign up they get more when I visit them for planning and implementation, and I leave them with my branded USB drive (which includes all my brochures etc etc.)

NOTE: I am a B2B company so my presentations are limited so we can afford to do a few give-aways, but the ones everyone loves are the travel mugs or Cord Organisers or phone stands. EXAMPLE: http://promotionalproductsgodelta.com/ProductDetails/?productId=7275625&tab=Tile&referrerPage=ProductResults&refPgId=509455522&referrerModule=PRDREB

OVERVIEW:

Don’t spend a lot on promo gear for the bulk consumer market, but your products are B2B anyway so focus your gear on the higher end for the BIG presentations to trade show and event organisers as I previously suggested.

Exciting times for you and it’s a different world in the B2B market place.

Cheers
    Schelle

Johny
    • Total posts: 840
    Up

As someone who sources promo products, I always think people look at these products the wrong way. It’s not about the most suitable product, it is about the message that you want to deliver.

And there is only one message:-

I want to give it to potential customers to attract them…to buy
    I want to give it to existing customers to retain them…to buy again
    I want to give it to staff to make them happy…so they will sell more
    I want to use it for a promotion…so people will buy more

One of the most popular items for promo products are pens. They are used regularly?

Have a look in your drawer. How many promo pens in there that you have never used, or as said above, threw out because of poor quality.

Some of my thoughts on promo products:-

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/promotional-products-return-investment-roi-brian-mallyon

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/20140812040105-169973897-what-is-the-value-of-a-promotional-product

Mischelle
    • Total posts: 805
    Up
    Johny, post: 242131, member: 34822 wrote:
    And there is only one message:-
    I want to give it to potential customers to attract them…to buy
    I want to give it to existing customers to retain them…to buy again
    I want to give it to staff to make them happy…so they will sell more
    I want to use it for a promotion…so people will buy more

Good point Johny, I think it’s a combo of all of them, when I am doing a face to face presentation they get the nice notepads with decent pens (not cheap horrid pens) and when they become clients when I visit I take travel mugs or give them USB drives etc.

This year I am also going to include Branded Power Packs as they are the new “it” item. I love mine and never leave home without it.

:)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.