Home – New Forums Money matters What Percentage of Businesses Make it Through the First 3 Years?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    ::
    Paul Peace, post: 223489, member: 54653 wrote:
    Yes, that’s what I’m looking for, many pointers to the facts. We’ve already had some great contributions. I feel sure there other organisations that will have conducted research. Thanks Bert.

Paul I think you have missed the mark on my comment. You are asking us to give a commentary on the FACTS presented by the ABS, ATO, and ABR. We pay these people Mega dollars to come up with these numbers. So why would we then say that those figures are wrong. They are the facts.

GuestMember
    • Total posts: 318
    Up

Amongst other things, anyone contributing can comment on the facts provided by ABS etc, their veracity, limitations, etc, or they can add further authoritative sources if they can think of any. If none exist, that’s fine too.

alliedib
    • Total posts: 453
    Up

have you read further into the document? http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/mf/8165.0 gives a fair amount of statistics, including:
    – Half of the businesses that started operating in 2010-11 were still operating in June 2014.
    – Health Care and Social Assistance businesses were the most likely to survive from June 2010 to June 2014.
    – Public Administration and Safety businesses were the least likely to survive from June 2010 to June 2014.

Jason Ramage
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,168
    Up
    alliedib, post: 223501, member: 37857 wrote:
    have you read further into the document? http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/mf/8165.0 gives a fair amount of statistics, including:
    – Half of the businesses that started operating in 2010-11 were still operating in June 2014.
    – Health Care and Social Assistance businesses were the most likely to survive from June 2010 to June 2014.
    – Public Administration and Safety businesses were the least likely to survive from June 2010 to June 2014.

Nice break down mate, from someone that i am sure works with figures a lot…

BTW, how you been Mark?

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: hello@lucasarthur.net.au   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    GuestMember
    Up

Yes Allied, it was also mentioned by Balashankar and again by Bert. Thanks.

Anon/Harry – you can start a private conversation with Mark to catch up if you like so we can stay on topic. I believe it’s: Inbox > Conversations > alliedib to do this.

Jason Ramage
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,168
    Up
    Paul Peace, post: 223505, member: 54653 wrote:
    Anon/Harry – you can start a private conversation with Mark to catch up if you like so we can stay on topic. I believe it’s: Inbox > Conversations > alliedib to do this.

You are probably right mate, although it is a ‘friendly’ forum and the odd ‘howdy’ in reply to an on topic post is potentially ok i thought.. Maybe my oversight, apologies if i have interfered with the nature of the forum or your expectations. Although good tip on the inbox thingy, all these new bells and whistles elude me and others sometimes.. Bit similar to google and finding things on that for some people.

btw, not sure i like being slapped in an open forum – just saying

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: hello@lucasarthur.net.au   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    GuestMember
    Up

I agree with it being friendly. No worries.

alliedib
    Up

I think the main takeaway here is that, whilst the ‘statistics’ tell one thing, they are more guideposts than anything else. But as has been mentioned previously, perhaps the audience won’t be interested in the micro level of the conversation – moreso the macro only.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    Paul Peace, post: 223500, member: 54653 wrote:
    Amongst other things, anyone contributing can comment on the facts provided by ABS etc, their veracity, limitations, etc, or they can add further authoritative sources if they can think of any. If none exist, that’s fine too.

Paul I am still totally confused by what else you want us to contribute, we have given you the 3 most relevant sources within Australia. You say you have read the explanatory notes, it is not up to us to comment on the veracity of what our bean counters have published.
    I note in an earlier post you ask us to comment on your summary of the 3 sources, again without all of us reading the explanatory notes, which most people don’t have time to do, I am not sure what you are after.

Unless you would like us to write your words for your radio interview. Also I must say it would be nicer to all the forum peoples if you would have being upfront with us as to why you wanted this information, rather then later in the piece, IMHO

GuestMember
    Up

I’ve stated it many times above and feel I must now refer you back there Bert. You’ve already made a great contribution here, for which I’m grateful.

The feedback on sharing motives for asking questions sounds good. That would help in many discussions and would definitely help here.

However, it isn’t ‘nasty’ as implied not to share motives, and you might speak for yourself rather than for ‘all forum people’s’ – you’re once again presuming to speak for the community rather than yourself which isn’t your role here. I mentioned this before. We’re peer-to-peer with our own and varied views.

Another example is your being ‘confused by what else you want us to contribute, we have given you…’

rather than ‘confused by what else you want me to contribute, I have’.

and
    ‘it is not up to us to comment on the veracity of what our bean counters have published.’ – this is a personal opinion. Some people may have interest in this. Just state your own thoughts and preferably, if you don’t want to comment on something why say anything at all?

You’re not a spokesperson for the whole community. It’s an odd position and tone you’re taking.

I’m finding all this talk (mine included) about ‘process’ rather than ‘content’ is spoiling a great thread.

I’d love to see more forward motion on threads. I tried one previously on methods of pricing and we stopped off like this Bert. There are hundreds of threads to enjoy. Perhaps just add value where you can and take it easy where you’re confused or don’t want to comment on something?

alliedib
    Up

Just a thought Paul – do you have some type of demographer on your panel of experts that you could use for an opinion? I am sure that their input would be as relevant (if not moreso) than ours – hopefully you can get them for mates rates and not the general public rate ;)

GuestMember
    Up

Unfortunately, not! I’ve been very happy with many of the contributions. No need to sell the contributions here short. We got some great resources together.

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.