Home – New Forums Starting your journey What Shopping Cart do you use?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Anon
    • Total posts: 96
    Up
    ::

Just curious on what shopping carts everyone here uses for their online stores? Currently I’m using Gate13 (hosted) for my main website but they just do not have the features I need for the site to grow. Been considering Open Cart which has everything and has a very easy admin interface which I want important. What’s everyone else doing?

kathiemt
    • Total posts: 1,167
    Up

I was using 1shoppingcart.com but had some challenges after a couple of years relating to their costs. I ended up finding an Aussie service and I’ve been very happy with them. Heather Maloney from contactpoint.com.au really knows her stuff and bends over backwards to get it right for you. Her team provide a really good service at a good price.

I should add I’m not paying a monthly fee for the shopping cart, once it was created and set up, there were no further payments for the use of it. I only pay if there is any work to be done on it.

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

Ive used OSC since 2006 still works fine.

Steve

Ondetto
    • Total posts: 110
    Up

Your choice of shopping cart depends on the features you need, the support you require and of course the cost.

There are lots of hosted shopping carts that are very feature rich and offer good support, such as Ashop, Big Commerce and Magento Go, however the monthly fees can add up, depending on the number of products you sell.

OpenCart is quite a clean shopping cart, not too bloated and fairly easy to use. It is free, but with that comes a lack of support (and unfortunately OpenCart are notorious for this). If you are not comfortable implementing it yourself you could pay a web developer to do this for you. That way you have someone you can turn to for support when you need it, without being locked in to monthly fees.

simonw
    • Total posts: 60
    Up

I use bigcommerce. I did a few free trials for some of the different options, and it was the easiest to use with the best support, plus really good reviews online (once you get past all the affiliate reviewers)

As I started without capital, my plan was to learn to build a site myself to get enough money to have a proper site built for me. Bigcommerce was the easiest option for building and editing a site based on templates. Both the sites in my signature are Bigcommerce sites. I am not saying they are perfect, but they have been good enough to get me off the ground, and are definitely paying for themselves at only $25 a month.

It also has excellent SEO, i ahve been able to rank on page 1 for all of my keywords without any real SEO knowledge

Steve – Adoria Photo
    • Total posts: 47
    Up

My wife’s photography website uses Woocommerce (available from woothemes.com) which is a free WordPress plugin that can be combined with a wide varierty of purchased style themes. I customized it to have a password protected photo proofing gallery that clients can use to select photos for purchase in various sizes. The shopping cart is integrated with Paypal and an Australia Post shipping calculator.

Cheers, Steve
    http://adoriaphotography.com.au

Zava Design
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,463
    Up

Advice from a professional developer (15 years in the industry):

1. Use a dedicated ecommerce CMS for a dedicated ecommerce site. WordPress or other non-ecommerce plugins are fine for a few items added onto a site, but do not have all the features, and often have far more bugs, than dedicated CMSs.

2. Best open source CMSs: Opencart & Prestashop.

3. Avoid older, once popular but now quite outdated options such as zen cart and os commerce. Bad, bloated code (affects SEO), and overall experience is not as smooth as newer options.

4. Hosted solutions can work for some, though monthly fees can add up. And if you can afford those anyway, then paying a professional for a custom designed site may be a more effective investment of your funds.

5. If you are talking to a developer, ask him plenty of questions to be satisfied they know what they’re talking about. As with anything “web”, there are still some cowboys out there just looking to make a quick buck from unknowing clients.

And best of luck!

Cheers,
    Dave

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up
    Zava Design, post: 124586 wrote:
    5. If you are talking to a developer, ask him plenty of questions to be satisfied they know what they’re talking about. As with anything “web”, there are still some cowboys out there just looking to make a quick buck from unknowing clients.

Please, please, please take note of this especially.
    Recently I seem to be getting work simply because other developers are not delivering.

Anon
    • Total posts: 96
    Up

I appreciate all of the feedback. I’m still leaning towards OpenCart after playing with the backend a lot. Is there anything about OpenCart why you don’t like and could be a problem in terms of allowing your business grow?

I have about 6 different online stores and saw that you can run all the sites under the same admin which will make things a lot easier to manage.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.