Home Forums Get productive What “sparks joy” in your home office?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Lucy Kippist
    • Total posts: 230

I couldn’t help but reference Marie Kondo the Japanese declutterer who’s just about EVERYWHERE these days thanks to her Netflix documentary.

What a boon for that industry – makes me wonder what other solo businesses could do with a Netflix documentary, actually!

This is one of the best articles I’ve read on the science behind her philosophy – and that tidying up and decluttering actually changes the chemistry in our brains, and reduces the stress hormone cortisol.

Tidying up my work space sparks much joy for me. And while it definitely eats up some time I always find the energy comes back to me as the rest of the day unfolds.

But I know some very efficient and creative people who exist in chaos. Where do you fit on the spectrum?

Rowan@quaotic
    Participant
    • Total posts: 712

Maybe it is just me but I hate neat work spaces, they make me nervous, like there is something I have missed, and they look sterile.

Peter – FS Administrator
    • Total posts: 1,889

Hi Lucy,

The Magic of Tidying up seems to be making a second massive boom! I watched one episode on Netflix and to be honest it did seem like a lot of people rolling up towels for a lot of the time :)

But, having said that I have been slightly on board the minimalism bandwagon recently, so I do love a good clear out!

Personally I like a totally clear workspace/desktop but don’t really mind a fair bit of clutter around the room. If I’m doing a writing project I sometimes chuck everything off the desk and onto the floor! I also like the freedom of taking a laptop to the library where there are no domestic distractions.

So I’d be on the clutter-free end of the spectrum but my office never quite looks like the ones on Instagram!

Cheers, Peter

Lucy Kippist
    Rowan @ GardenLarder, post: 263783, member: 28171 wrote:
    Maybe it is just me but I hate neat work spaces, they make me nervous, like there is something I have missed, and they look sterile.
    Agreed – there is a fine line between tidy and sterile! I also need some warmth for the space to feel inviting.
    Lucy Kippist
    Peter – FS Administrator, post: 263795, member: 1 wrote:
    Hi Lucy,

The Magic of Tidying up seems to be making a second massive boom! I watched one episode on Netflix and to be honest it did seem like a lot of people rolling up towels for a lot of the time :)

But, having said that I have been slightly on board the minimalism bandwagon recently, so I do love a good clear out!

Personally I like a totally clear workspace/desktop but don’t really mind a fair bit of clutter around the room. If I’m doing a writing project I sometimes chuck everything off the desk and onto the floor! I also like the freedom of taking a laptop to the library where there are no domestic distractions.

So I’d be on the clutter-free end of the spectrum but my office never quite looks like the ones on Instagram!

Cheers, Peter

Ha! Love the escape to the library idea, Peter! I too enjoy going to the library for a break from my house.

Ditto using the floor or a chair to “file” excess stuff from the desk.

Out of sight, out of mind!

Johny
    • Total posts: 840

I also like the freedom of taking a laptop to the library where there are no domestic distractions.

Replace laptop with wallet and library with bar, and I hear you.

Lucy Kippist

No question of the joy in that scenario!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.