Home – New Forums Wellbeing & balance What time do you get up?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Soccerooplugger
    Participant
    • Total posts: 34
    Up
    ::

Just wondering what time everyone gets up?

I am often getting up at 5am. I usually have so much to do in the morning.

Dishes to wash from the night before, cleaning up around the house as my family can be very untidy, making the kids lunches now that they are back at school, making sure the girls uniforms are ironed and ready to go, doing early preparations for dinner when we arrive home, the list goes on and on.

I am sometimes tired when I get to work.

I am even more tired in the morning. As I can’t go to sleep until kids have gone to bed and they are often going later than I tell them, I get so tired.

I am sometimes even falling asleep on a lounge chair upstairs while I wait for them to go to bed. Then I’m woken up by my wife coming upstairs asking why they aren’t in bed.

Kriss1012
    • Total posts: 7
    Up

First,I’d like to say you are a nice guy for your familes,And you are also the steel man:).In my life,i wake up at around 7:00am,Yes,Maybe also dish wash,But not often,Because i have washed the dishes by yesterday night.Then,I will cooked some porridge for the breakfast,Then ask my wife to wake up.(By the way,My mother is lived with me,So she will help me take care of my 5 year daughter).After breakfast,It will take me around 1 hour to arrived my office,Then at 6:30pm back home,And have the dinner with my familes,My mother cooked.

I suggest that why not ask your wife to share with you some homework together?this may make you save much more time.

Peter – FS Administrator
    • Total posts: 1,889
    Up

Hey soccerooplugger!

It does sound tiring to be going to bed late and getting up early! My kids are a bit older now so it’s not so much of an issue. I remember when they were a lot younger my wife and I would sometimes split the duties with one staying up a bit later and the other on morning duty.

I guess it’s about working out how many hours sleep you ideally need and then aiming to get as close as you can to that. I find about 7 hours is reasonably sustainable but others need more/less!

Hope you get a snooze today :)

El Arish Tropical Exotics
    • Total posts: 227
    Up

I get up at 6 a.m. : Early mornings are cooler and better for physical work.

Thankfully, laundry and lunch is now the domain of the kids. In regard to putting them to bed, that’s what I did when they were little. Put them in bed and turn out the lights. Computers, phones, Tvs off an hour before bed to calm their minds. I go to bed early because I love my sleep so as they get older it goes get harder but if you’ve already gotten them used to the idea that the parents are the boss they’ll generally do as you ask even if you are already asleep.

It’s hard when both parents are working to find time to teach the kids how to make their own lunches, wash dishes, do a load of laundry, sweep a floor, etc but in the long run, well worth it. Maggie Dent says you should never do for kids something they can do for themselves. That might be a little extreme but I do think a lot of kids lack chores these days. It’s tough when they are little but even a six year old can help with dishes or their lunch. You may think they are “too young” but you can forget teaching teenagers new tricks, you’ll die of nagging first.

Your expectations of how the house should look and what is important may not align with your wife’s (ironing doesn’t happen here). It might be worth while to have a family meeting and air the fact that you feel unsupported and let your wife tell you how she feels. But you should know parenting is like shoveling snow in a snowstorm. It’s messy hardwork that can feel futile at times, we ‘ve all been in the trenches with you. If I’m feeling overwhelmed I take supplements like fish oil, turmeric, St John’s Wort (and try and limit my drinking and timtam consumption).

I’m the primary cleaner, shopper, cooker in my family and I’ve learned the more I do the less they need to do. I hope you are able to sit down and make a chart of chores but if all else fails go on a limited strike. Don’t clean, buy paper plates, etc. It always worked for me!!!

Good luck and know it will get easier!! Ann

P.S. Slowcookers are awesome!! On nights when I’m doing tutoring/football runs or home late I throw together a curry in the morning and it’s ready by dinner. We get Willing Workers on Organic Farms so often I’m cooking for 6 or eight people.I do huge batches of chili con carnes, spag bog, shepherd’s pie filling, etc and freeze in large tubs. Just pull one out for dinner. Also roast 2 or 3 chickens at a time on the family webber. Roast chicken is great in laksas, stirfries, sandwiches or even just with a simple salad.

Peter – FS Administrator
    Up

Some great thoughts and advice there [USER=6734]@El Arish Tropical Exotics[/USER] – thanks for contributing! :)

starboy
    • Total posts: 15
    Up

Ohh I’m usually a 7am guy. 6am is way too early and 8am too late, so 7? Perfect!

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

when I was working I would start my first job at 4.00am have a couple of hours off during the day and finish my last job by 8.00pm sometimes seven days a week.
    Since ive been retired 6.30 -7.00am is the norm and usually have my chores done by 9.00am then have to think about what I would like to do for the rest of the day.
    I started a Cancer Survivers exercise programme about five weeks ago and my energy has returned, so watch out I could end up posting more on my favourite Forum.

Peter – FS Administrator
    Up
    Burgo, post: 256940, member: 58 wrote:
    when I was working I would start my first job at 4.00am have a couple of hours off during the day and finish my last job by 8.00pm sometimes seven days a week. Since ive been retired 6.30 -7.00am is the norm…
    Hey Bert, I’m up around the same time as you and not at all retired! Interesting for you that a 6.30 wake up must feel luxurious compared to 4am to 8pm! I look forward to hearing about the new exercise routine too.
    karensaid
    • Total posts: 78
    Up

5am 6am I find in the morning I’m at my best mentally, sharp and fresh, I’m assuming many are the same. I definitely always get a work out in or a decent walk 4-5 times a week. I exercise more now than when I was younger haha I feel like crap otherwise and just don’t focus well. Gotta get stuff done, money in. :-) Even if it’s raining, I make sure I get some fresh air in the lungs.

sumeyer
    Participant
    • Total posts: 9
    Up

5.30 am. Everyday. I feel most ready for the day. I love being alone in the morning when the whole world sleeps. I drink my coffee, and do my own thing.

Ben
    Participant
    • Total posts: 39
    Up

I didn’t understand people who get up very early in the morning and then try to find the time and place to sleep in the afternoon. Why do you get up so early if you can’t stay awake all day? For me the norm is to get up at 7-8 in the morning, you get everything done and have enough energy until late at night.

Callie_Simmons
    Participant
    • Total posts: 5
    Up

Since I’m not an early riser, I could sleep up to 9 or even 10 a.m. with ease. Normally, I start my day at 7-8 in the morning, though I need some time to wake up and feel refreshed.

Zemljatposer
    Participant
    • Total posts: 11
    Up

Great topic

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.