Home – New Forums Starting your journey What title should I use?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Jen and Ben Design
    • Total posts: 9
    Up
    ::

Hi

A friend and I are starting a design company. We are the owners and designers of the company so what should we put as our title on our business cards? CEO sounds to extreme for a small size, but we are more than designers. We want to sounds professional but not wanky.

Director?

Thanks

Hatching_It
    • Total posts: 414
    Up

Director of Design / Design Director

Jen and Ben Design
    Up

Thanks, that’s what I will use!

Jenna Fisher
    Design Director

Bizbo
    • Total posts: 12
    Up

We always like co-founder/founder… makes it personable!

Bizbo
    • Total posts: 12
    Up

Good luck in your venture by the way!!

PerfectNotes-Kathy
    • Total posts: 500
    Up

Hi Jenna,

One of the toughest decisions we had to make when starting our business was position titles! And I’m still not entirely happy with what we use, but they’re on the business cards, so won’t get changed until we have to do another run of cards.

Kathy

LuchiaBloomfield
    • Total posts: 117
    Up

Gotta say, I feel like CEO screams startup and not in a good way. +1 to Founder/Co-Founder.

tonyk
    • Total posts: 1,430
    Up

Director of Design sounds good to me. It shows professionalism, but at the same time it doesn’t sound “wanky” as you said.

Idris
    • Total posts: 1
    Up

If it’s a micro business, why have a title at all?

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up

Hi Jenna

Curious if you ended up running with Design Director?

This question of title comes up so often, I used to see it many times in past lives (*work lol) and always intrigued me. It always fell into 2 camps of business models:
    1. Business that could get away with no titles (my preferred and I use no titles in our flat organisation) as the business they are in is simple , didn’t require expertise to be portrayed on a business card to gain credibility and down to earth.

However the second was more intriguing, which is sort of where you fit:
    2. Businesses whereby potential clients like to know the expertise of those they are talking to or the level of authority to be a decision maker. Also, being design related a title for you may get clients at ease quicker than explaining you are the be all and end all :) and that they are not dealing with the book keeper! Lol

I would be a little more casual and use:
    Design tech
    Design guru
    Owner by design
    Director by design
    Creative boss

Anyways, just playing above but think you get the jist…

It will ultimately come down to your comfort level with titles as well as what you perceive your customers would expect as you know your target audience better than any..

Good luck, let us know

Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    Itch
    • Total posts: 15
    Up

I’d go with Founder / Co-Founder, it gives people a good impression knowing they’re speaking directly to a person with expertise, authority and the ability to get things done. Waddling around and calling yourself a CEO is a slant pretentious at this point.

Flik
    Up

I have a design business too and I’ve always struggled with my title. I used to use “Owner” but people assumed that I was a delegating all the design work to someone else, which didn’t sit well with me because I’m really proud of the fact that I do nearly almost all the design work in my business!

These days I alternate between the title “Owner/Design” and “Graphic Designer” depending on the situation. I like use the title “Graphic Designer” when I want to make my business seem bigger than it really is.

I like Founder and Director of Design too!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.