Home – New Forums Marketing mastery What to ask the Small Business Commissioner?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    SheInspires
    • Total posts: 247
    Up
    ::

I’ve got an opportunity to interview the NSW Small Business Commissioner, Yasmin King, as she is coming along to my small business event.

So I’m working on my list of questions but I’d love your input. What would you like to ask Commissioner King?

I also have the Small Business Minister, Katrina Hodgkinson, attending an upcoming seminar and want to do a story with her.

Your ideas and feedback is really welcomed! Thank you!

VixenBookkeeping
    • Total posts: 31
    Up

I would love to know which small businesses they talked to who said that they had found no value in Small Business September or why they axed the mentoring programs.

I mentioned the latter on Twitter yesterday and got the following response from Katrina Hodgkinson (which wasn’t really a response):
    “successful tenders of new small biz connect will have free access to existing IP and can run courses they want”

After speaking to one of the contractors that run the mentoring programs, it’s not worth it for them to tender under the new structure as only their direct wages will be reimbursed. Overheads such as travel, etc won’t be.

VixenBookkeeping
    • Total posts: 31
    Up

I would love to know which small businesses they talked to who said that they had found no value in Small Business September or why they axed the mentoring programs.

I mentioned the latter on Twitter yesterday and got the following response from Katrina Hodgkinson (which wasn’t really a response):
    “successful tenders of new small biz connect will have free access to existing IP and can run courses they want”

After speaking to one of the contractors that run the mentoring programs, it’s not worth it for them to tender under the new structure as only their direct wages will be reimbursed. Overheads such as travel, etc won’t be.

SheInspires
    Up

Yes, it perplexing about the feedback that they got. I know Mat Beeche and Jen Bishop both explored how that came through and the key issues raised.

Jen Bishop (of Dynamic Business magazine) is on the 24th May discussion panel and Mat Beeche returns for a second discussion panel in September.

From my discussions so far I think it’s more of a government approach that wants to see small business helping itself rather than government lead initiatives but I haven’t had a direct answer on that one, it’s just where it seems to be pointing.

I know from the Commissioner’s office they are working on a strategy and there’s changes with the small business team.

SheInspires
    Up

Yes, it perplexing about the feedback that they got. I know Mat Beeche and Jen Bishop both explored how that came through and the key issues raised.

Jen Bishop (of Dynamic Business magazine) is on the 24th May discussion panel and Mat Beeche returns for a second discussion panel in September.

From my discussions so far I think it’s more of a government approach that wants to see small business helping itself rather than government lead initiatives but I haven’t had a direct answer on that one, it’s just where it seems to be pointing.

I know from the Commissioner’s office they are working on a strategy and there’s changes with the small business team.

Shaukat Adam Khalid
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,528
    Up

My dad taught me in my younger days never to depend on the government. Stand on your own two feet and collaborate with others who have the same or more to loose.

I personally don’t understand why anyone would want to get assistance from the government especially when we know that a change can have a dramatic effect on the business (and our lives). Same goes with a job.

It’s a bit like like giving a baby crutches when learning how to walk and then taking it away once they are dependent on it.

mark my words, if your business depends on any form of government assistance, you have a thinking problem and it’s setting up for future heartache and likely failure.

If you are in innovation, you don’t need the government either. Learn how to raise funds or partner up with someone who can raise funds from the private sector including crowd funding and angel investing.

There are those who will sponsor you their resources (staff, equipment, space, etc).

There is more money than ideas.Depending on the government is the path of least resistance but it’s also the path to most frustration.

There is an ocean of business coaches and mentors. Most of them will barter their service for what you have to offer. I do it too from time to time.

Not everyone can afford $500 an hour so swapping that for another service means that the hard cost of $500 is now reduced to the real cost of product / service delivery (min 30% less and as much as 90%).

Shaukat Adam Khalid
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,528
    Up

My dad taught me in my younger days never to depend on the government. Stand on your own two feet and collaborate with others who have the same or more to loose.

I personally don’t understand why anyone would want to get assistance from the government especially when we know that a change can have a dramatic effect on the business (and our lives). Same goes with a job.

It’s a bit like like giving a baby crutches when learning how to walk and then taking it away once they are dependent on it.

mark my words, if your business depends on any form of government assistance, you have a thinking problem and it’s setting up for future heartache and likely failure.

If you are in innovation, you don’t need the government either. Learn how to raise funds or partner up with someone who can raise funds from the private sector including crowd funding and angel investing.

There are those who will sponsor you their resources (staff, equipment, space, etc).

There is more money than ideas.Depending on the government is the path of least resistance but it’s also the path to most frustration.

There is an ocean of business coaches and mentors. Most of them will barter their service for what you have to offer. I do it too from time to time.

Not everyone can afford $500 an hour so swapping that for another service means that the hard cost of $500 is now reduced to the real cost of product / service delivery (min 30% less and as much as 90%).

yourvirtualboard
    • Total posts: 569
    Up

Might be worth focusing on what’s coming rather than what’s past. Everything has a lifespan and sometimes things we thought were so crucial become fond memories when we get used to what’s taken their place.

I think the storm about axing some of the previous programs (of which I was a supporter) is concentrating on how this has affected solo and micro businesses, rather than small business, which is what they were aimed at (there is a difference). If we look at it objectively, many of the programs were run by people / businesses that were in many cases delivering some good information but let’s not for a second forget that much of it is their own marketing exercise as well.

Regarding the mentoring, I am currently mentoring on the WIB program (and have on this and others for a number of years). This program will still be available under the new scheme from what I’ve been told. Maybe we should wait and see what else the new scheme delivers before we condemn it as no good?

As for questions to ask, how about;
    What are some of the proactive things her department are / will be doing to promote small business now and in the future?
    How are they going to make it less difficult to comply with some of the red tape that’s currently in place?
    How can they assist people considering starting their own businesses objectively assess their suitability and readiness to help prevent so many falling over?

yourvirtualboard
    • Total posts: 569
    Up

Might be worth focusing on what’s coming rather than what’s past. Everything has a lifespan and sometimes things we thought were so crucial become fond memories when we get used to what’s taken their place.

I think the storm about axing some of the previous programs (of which I was a supporter) is concentrating on how this has affected solo and micro businesses, rather than small business, which is what they were aimed at (there is a difference). If we look at it objectively, many of the programs were run by people / businesses that were in many cases delivering some good information but let’s not for a second forget that much of it is their own marketing exercise as well.

Regarding the mentoring, I am currently mentoring on the WIB program (and have on this and others for a number of years). This program will still be available under the new scheme from what I’ve been told. Maybe we should wait and see what else the new scheme delivers before we condemn it as no good?

As for questions to ask, how about;
    What are some of the proactive things her department are / will be doing to promote small business now and in the future?
    How are they going to make it less difficult to comply with some of the red tape that’s currently in place?
    How can they assist people considering starting their own businesses objectively assess their suitability and readiness to help prevent so many falling over?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.