Home – New Forums Get productive What to do when you feel like throwing the towel?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    EmbalmSkincare
    Participant
    • Total posts: 459
    Up
    ::

Hi all,

Just wondering what you guys generally do when you hit a low and feel like throwing the towel?

Anything helpful would be much appreciated.

Warmest regards,
    Mel

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up

Hi Mel

Think you are on the right track, i personally tend to draw on my support network which consists of family, friends, business associated and lovely ol FS :)

Just the other day, i posted about reflection, and i find looking back at what i have achieved and why i originally started the business allows me to draw strength… link here.

Another thing to do is to take some time ‘out’ of the business. So you can refresh yourself, the operator of the key thing in your life at the moment.. your business, your future…

I know its not the be all and end all answer, but hope it helps..

Cheers
    Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    EmbalmSkincare
    Participant
    Up

Hi Jason,

I’ve hit a little low lately and can’t even see my past efforts, it’s clouded.

It just feels like what I’m doing or have been doing over the past 1.5 years has not been enough nor good enough. I don’t feel like I’m getting anywhere.
    I have wasted the little time I have trying to come up with content for my Facebook page and newsletter without a positive outcome.
    Hope things will turn around soon.
    I can see a future for my products but I don’t know if I will get there.
    It’s just all too much.

Mel

LucasArthur
    Participant
    Up

Oh Mel,

1.5 years is certainly a testing time, remember you are still building on brand, credibility, trust etc etc tc so even if you are not ‘seeing’ a direct response I am sure your efforts are building on everything you are trying to achieve.. I bit like a rolling snow ball, the impact is greater the longer the journey! Lol..

Just think that all these road blocks, issues and concerns are making you stronger, your business stronger and building on your knowledge. . I am positive we will be laughing about this in a few months..

Re current issues, have you reached out to your support network for ideas? Opporunities and the likes? Including here on FS?

Cheers
    Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

Two things you sound like you need a break, take off a long week end.

Secondly how do you market your products. You have good products but no one knows of them. Website ? Facebook ? what about some editorial in a womens magazine, local newspaper to start, as you never know who reads these papers.

Then start thinking positively, I know I can, we know you can so I know I can

keep posting here tell us your thoughts

LucasArthur
    Participant
    Up

Mr Burgo

You are a man of wisdom, parting with words of meaning and intent.. always enjoy reading your insightful comments.

Cheers
    Jason

EmbalmSkincare
    Participant
    Up

Hi Jason,

No, I haven’t reached out. It’s all about money or time these days, both of which I don’t have.
    To get more sales, I have to invest either time (e.g. DIY SEO) or money (SEO pro).
    I just want one sale a week, it shouldn’t be that difficult to achieve but unfortunately, one sale in 6 months is all I’m getting. *lol*

I feel that I wasted way too much time trying to find the right content for Facebook/Twitter and newsletters in the past, so I’m really over it as it hasn’t given me any results.

I think I’ll give it one more shot at one particular strategy and if that doesn’t work by they time I have to renew my business insurance, I have to reconsider if it’s all worth it.

You hear all those goddamn #opsdidiswearthen success stories and I start to wonder what am I doing wrong. I might as well stop reading all this b**s**. It’s too depressing.

Mel

Burgo
    Participant
    Up
    EmbalmSkincare, post: 183007 wrote:
    Hi Jason,

No, I haven’t reached out. It’s all about money or time these days, both of which I don’t have.
    To get more sales, I have to invest either time (e.g. DIY SEO) or money (SEO pro).
    I just want one sale a week, it shouldn’t be that difficult to achieve but unfortunately, one sale in 6 months is all I’m getting. *lol*

I feel that I wasted way too much time trying to find the right content for Facebook/Twitter and newsletters in the past, so I’m really over it as it hasn’t given me any results.

I think I’ll give it one more shot at one particular strategy and if that doesn’t work by they time I have to renew my business insurance, I have to reconsider if it’s all worth it.

You hear all those goddamn #opsdidiswearthen success stories and I start to wonder what am I doing wrong. I might as well stop reading all this b**s**. It’s too depressing.

Mel

Look for week end markets and take a stall try your products out test the market then you get an idea who your customer is. Interesting people go to the markets just to see if there is something new

EmbalmSkincare
    Participant
    Up

Hi Burgo,

You want to hear something funny… We just visited my parents overseas for 3 weeks (got back two weeks ago) and I feel like I never had a holiday. I did so many dishes and grocery shopping and cooking over there plus the long flight back and an out of control puppy waiting for us at home upon arrival back in OZ, I could really do with a break.
    I didn’t even think about the business much whilst away, didn’t even care about it.
    Yes, the magazines are definitely on my list. Fingers crossed.

Cheers,
    Mel

Burgo
    Participant
    Up

Theres your problem your still on holidays well recuperating from them.

When I came back from the UK a few years ago it took me several weeks for the mojo to return. I had not worked for almost six weeks and I had become bored, didn’t want to do anything just sit.

Fortunately for me a very old customer phoned and snapped me out of my boredom. Now let think of how we can get your mojo back.

Letterbox drops don’t cost the earth, and you can do local whilst taking pooch for a walk…..sell direct…..cut overheads.
    Do the promotion design on your computer and print it out black and white forget colour at this stage. Your first sale from this if your products are good will get the locals talking, then you build from there

MissSassy
    • Total posts: 1,255
    Up

Hi Mel

Know that this happens to lots of people and you just need to sit back and reassess. Coming on here and receiving the wonderful responses that you have will no doubt help to provide you with clarity.
    Ultimately you may need to sit with a trusted friend/relative/mentor/adviser and discuss everything and come up with a plan to move forward.

Keep us posted

LuchiaBloomfield
    • Total posts: 117
    Up

Two things define you: Your patience when you have nothing, and your attitude when you have everything.

Just keeping working at it, you’ll get there.

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

Hi Mel,

Have you ever set up a stall at the markets?
    I still find face to face an extreemly viable marketing avenue for daily products.

Steve

Totally Awesome
    • Total posts: 63
    Up

I’ve had a look at your store Mel.

And I’ll be blunt.

First off, convince me why I should pay your prices.
    I’m not saying you’re too dear.. just need to feel I’m getting value for money and I don’t feel that in your wording.

Secondly, why no incentive to buy more than one? Like free freight if you spend $100 or more?

Finally, a photo of a bottle doesn’t do much for me so how about upping the excitement in presentation?

My suggestions:

1 – A friend of mine sells Emu oil and has great success doing craft markets and dancing competitions etc (where they have stall holders). Worth considering?

2 – Adding some cheaper complementary products to the list. Like soaps, oils etc etc.

3 – Putting together a Party Plan offering.

4 – Do a “AT WHOLESALE PRICES” sale.

(Being blunt isn’t meant to hurt you.. rather to present to you a view from someone looking in. We do need to see it from our customer’s angle to see what we need to keep or change.
    And sometimes bluntness is a good motivator. lol)

Dave Gillen – Former FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,566
    Up

Hi Mel,

If you know your traffic numbers and conversion rates, you can get an idea of why you’re not making sales.

Is it because you’re not getting enough traffic?
    Or are you getting plenty of traffic and very low conversions?

This at least gives you a place to start. If you have some direction and can use this make some small progress, your spirits will lift greatly I think.

e.g. At your current traffic levels, how much would you have to increase your conversion rate by to get 1 sale per week? Or at your current conv rate, how much extra traffic would you need to get 1 sale per week. Compare these two and see which one seems more achievable, then focus on this goal.

Dave

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.