Home – New Forums Tech talk what to do with all those domains you bought…

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #972338
    Craig_Longmuir
    Member
    • Total posts: 556
    Up
    0
    ::

    http://www.seomoz.org/blog/its-a-feeding-frenzy-for-keywordrich-domains

    seems lots of people buy up keyword rich domains and here are some options of what to do with them…

    #1055539
    John C.
    Member
    • Total posts: 439
    Up
    0
    ::

    Matt Cutts stated in a video released this week that google is looking at changing the algorithm so that keyword rich domains are no longer favoured over other domains with equal or better content.

    http://www.youtube.com/user/GoogleWebmasterHelp#p/a/u/0/rAWFv43qubI

    He doesn’t say definitively that it will happen, but you’ve got to assume that for him to even mention it, they’re obviously looking at it seriously.

    Personally, I hope it happens sooner rather than later.

    Cheers,
    John

    #1055540
    Craig_Longmuir
    Member
    • Total posts: 556
    Up
    0
    ::

    ?! Not sure I get the wordbox thing

    #1055541
    John C.
    Member
    • Total posts: 439
    Up
    0
    ::
    craiglongmuir.com, post: 68293 wrote:
    ?! Not sure I get the wordbox thing

    I’m not sure what you mean. Which part of the video are you referring to?

    #1055542
    Craig_Longmuir
    Member
    • Total posts: 556
    Up
    0
    ::
    onsiteTECHS, post: 68298 wrote:
    I’m not sure what you mean. Which part of the video are you referring to?

    ha, someone else posted something that made no sense, but has since deleted it!

    video makes sense! seems a little vague tho, so i dont think the days of keyword rich domains being useful are over just yet

    #1055543
    John C.
    Member
    • Total posts: 439
    Up
    0
    ::
    craiglongmuir.com, post: 68299 wrote:
    ha, someone else posted something that made no sense, but has since deleted it!

    video makes sense! seems a little vague tho, so i dont think the days of keyword rich domains being useful are over just yet

    Ah, I must have missed it.

    Yes Cutts was vague, which isn’t anything new! I think, though, that he generally only mentions things that “Google is thinking about” when they are likely to happen.

    There was another announcement today about a new Google Search feature that allows you to block domains from search results on your PC when logged into a Google account – I bet they’ll start to use that information to adjust their algorithm eventually too (i.e. if many people block the “spammyaffiliatemarketing.com” domain, Google will probably lower that domain’s rank in the assumption that it must be junk. All good ideas I think.

    #1055544
    websitedesigner
    Member
    • Total posts: 917
    Up
    0
    ::

    I think its sensible to wind back the priority given to keyword rich domains – its a bit too easy to rank well for an exact search domain ATM but at the same time it’s one thing that is difficult to fake (I.e there can only be 1 websitedesign.com) whereas a lot of other SEO indicators can be manipulated. I would be surprised if they completely drop something like this that can’t be easily manipulated, wind back maybe but surely the domain name will always have some influence

    #1055545
    JohnW
    Member
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up
    0
    ::

    You may want to plug into this discussion the impact of the laws of different countries.

    Under very recent Australian law it seems like trademark and company laws are guiding the rights of ownership of domain names. I understand that recent federal court cases have strengthened this position.

    The bottom line as I understand it…

    You can register any domain name you want but if a company comes along with a registered business name or trademark for a similar domain name then they can lodge an objection and are very likely to win the claim and grab the domain from you and all you get is a bill for the court case.

    I’m no lawyer but it sounds like if your domain has none of this protection then someone could register your domain name as a business or trademark long after you registered the domain and you have no protection at all.

    Regs,
    JohnW

    #1055546
    seocourse
    Member
    • Total posts: 918
    Up
    0
    ::

    Matt Cutts job is one: To show the world that Google is all fair and perfect.

    When was the last time you saw Matt Cutts saying

    “hey guys we had a b*tch of a week here in Google because we realized the algorithm is pretty patchy and over 10.000 cr*ppy sites can’t be detected by the new Panda Update and in fact blackhat strategies still seem to work… so in reality we are a bit down… “

    Matt Cutts is like the PR Manager of the Pope…
    You only hear what “the church” want’s to tell you.

    #1055547
    Steve_Minshall
    Member
    • Total posts: 518
    Up
    0
    ::

    I have been watching this in action for a while now.

    I bought sydneyroofracks.com.au way back because that pretty much sums up part of our business. But I didn’t bother with roofrackssydney.com.au because I wasn’t thinking very hard and I didn’t like the double ‘s’ in the middle.

    Anyway I spotted about a year ago this was now being used for a 3 page website for a roof rack business with a “20 year” history that doesn’t actually exist. A little digging shows it is owned by a web business that has bought up hundreds of product related URLs.

    I first noticed it a year ago at around number 3 or 4 for “roofracks sydney” despite being a crap website. I have just done the search again and it is still number 7 (albeit after the 7 google-places listings which it is not included in). This web site has no redeeming features other than some key words splattered over just 2 pages. What it says is generally inaccurate and smacks of someone spending no more than a couple of hours with a product brochure and typing the headings into a template.

    I think that shows google still puts a huge score on the url. Also of interest is that the over use of keywords is not being penalised. On one page that fits within a single screen ‘roof rack sydney’ x13, ‘roof racks’ x 14, sydney x7. So the words ‘roof racks’ appears 27 times on a single screen shot!

    #1055548
    websitedesigner
    Member
    • Total posts: 917
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi Steve they definitely still do but it’s changing. Have a look at this webinar http://www.michellemacphearson.com/always-be-shipping-webinar-is-up/ Ed talks about some of the recent announcements and gives a feel for where Google is going.

    I would focus on building a quality site with quality content (that people share on social networks etc) and in the long term you will be better off I think. This is what I did with my blog 8 months ago when my small static site was going backwards and it is working very well.

    The ideal is to have a good old keyword rich domain as well as a great site because the domain will always count for something.

    #1055549
    Steve_Minshall
    Member
    • Total posts: 518
    Up
    0
    ::
    websitedesigner, post: 77871 wrote:
    Hi Steve they definitely still do but it’s changing. Have a look at this webinar http://www.michellemacphearson.com/always-be-shipping-webinar-is-up/ Ed talks about some of the recent announcements and gives a feel for where Google is going.

    I would focus on building a quality site with quality content (that people share on social networks etc) and in the long term you will be better off I think. This is what I did with my blog 8 months ago when my small static site was going backwards and it is working very well.

    The ideal is to have a good old keyword rich domain as well as a great site because the domain will always count for something.

    Thanks I’ll book mark that for later as its a bit of a long one.

    Yeah, I am happy that I have done and continue to do what I need to dominate the local search. It is just a bit annoying that these guys have rubbish websites for fictitious businesses, doing everything that the gurus tell you not to do, yet still rank well.

    They must own 100s of these sites, bbqsydney.com.au, petshopsydney.com.au, just categories off the top of my head gets them.
    All fictitious, all off the same template.

    I tell myself that a place they have in my category keeps one of my genuine competitors one place further down but it still irritates me. It just demonstrates how far you can still go with just a keyword centric URL and stuffing a single page full of keywords. I look forward to google addressing this.

    #1055550
    marketingweb
    Member
    • Total posts: 625
    Up
    0
    ::
    Steve_Minshall, post: 77881 wrote:
    They must own 100s of these sites, bbqsydney.com.au, petshopsydney.com.au, just categories off the top of my head gets them.
    All fictitious, all off the same template.

    These are all by Websyte corporation – a company I do not like.

    You say hundreds – try THOUSANDS of domain names – possibly 10’s of thousands.

    What their strategy is is to register all the good domain names, rank them, then call up local businesses in that category to try to sell them a website that is already pre-ranked.

    An example of this in my local area, http://www.plumberalbury.com.au
    The business listed here is a small but definitely genuine local plumber – not sure what he is paying for the service, but the website is pretty basic, and doesn’t really look that impressive – all the websites they build that I’ve seen are pretty much of the same standard template and never have more than about 3-4 pages. As you can see, the page itself is full of keywords stuffing.

    They even had the nerve to exhibit at the local “home expo” a year or so ago, and try to sign up all the local tradespeople.

    As I said, I have nothing against Godde Plumbing at all, just an example of the strategy behind the site.

    Matt

    #1055551
    websitedesigner
    Member
    • Total posts: 917
    Up
    0
    ::

    That’s interesting Matt, the line between what it right and what is not in SEO is very blurry – despite what some people say.

    I’ve got a few domains myself. One of them http://webdevelopmentbrisbane.com.au I use for posting longer tweets and thoughts etc that aren’t big enough for my main blog. But I also get a bit of natural traffic to it. I’m moving my office to the Gold Coast away from Brisbane but do I ditch the domain because I’m no longer in Bris?

    I know it’s not the same thing but it’s always a bit of a blurry line.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.