Home – New Forums Tech talk What to put on the front page?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    BrettM33
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,372
    Up
    ::

Ok…. I’m struggling with what to put in the content area of my main page for my site; I’ve already got a little slider the users can go through at the top that has a little tidbit on several of the services I provide & had initially set it up so in the content area it would list all the services that we provide & provide a bit more in-depth description of each service…… however after thinking about it for awhile I have decided that maybe this may not be such a good idea.

Why? Well…. it just seems that the user would be doing reading, reading & MORE reading about the service….. the little tidbit in the top, if they scroll down they will read a little more about the services & THEN if they actually click through to the specific page for that service they’ll do EVEN MORE in-depth reading lol…. so I thought that wasn’t so good.

As per my other post I don’t really have any portfolio pieces I can display on the front page either & now I am scratching my head on what I should put there.

I already have a quick quote form on the right hand side, I’m just stuck with the content area.

So everyone, what do YOU like/expect to see on the front page of a web design companies home page? What inspires you to read on further throughout the site or go onto request a quote after only looking at the home page?

Thanks for any great ideas in advance!! :)

Dave@SCBA
    • Total posts: 12
    Up
    CondorCreative, post: 74604 wrote:
    Ok…. I’m struggling with what to put in the content area of my main page for my site; I’ve already got a little slider the users can go through at the top that has a little tidbit on several of the services I provide & had initially set it up so in the content area it would list all the services that we provide & provide a bit more in-depth description of each service…… however after thinking about it for awhile I have decided that maybe this may not be such a good idea.

Why? Well…. it just seems that the user would be doing reading, reading & MORE reading about the service….. the little tidbit in the top, if they scroll down they will read a little more about the services & THEN if they actually click through to the specific page for that service they’ll do EVEN MORE in-depth reading lol…. so I thought that wasn’t so good.

As per my other post I don’t really have any portfolio pieces I can display on the front page either & now I am scratching my head on what I should put there.

I already have a quick quote form on the right hand side, I’m just stuck with the content area.

So everyone, what do YOU like/expect to see on the front page of a web design companies home page? What inspires you to read on further throughout the site or go onto request a quote after only looking at the home page?

As a webdesigner I would expect Testimonials, there are alot of web designers out there so Testimonials can mean alot. From a customers perspective I would be scared of going with a webdesigner without any testimonials/portfolio pieces as it would make me feel like im the first person ever to use your services, a scary concept!

Is there a possibility of writing a little story about what CondorCreative is and how customers will benefit from using your services? It might fill a space until you get a portfolio up and going.

Possibly somethign to consider.

Regards

Dave

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up

Hi Condor

I think I would look further if I saw each of the services you provide with a simple single sentence, almost a slogan for each. Now remember I’m NOT in marketing, but “Web Design…bringing your site to life” that sort of thing as a heading with a short description after it. I’d be happy to look into each page then, selecting the one I was interested in.

I’d love to see you use your incredible logo in an alternative way. Wouldn’t it be cool if it could swoop down over your list of services? I think your logo has the capacity to really capture and hold people’s interest.

Can’t wait to see the site :)

Wendy

John Debrincat
    • Total posts: 963
    Up
    CondorCreative, post: 74604 wrote:

The home page of the website should define who you are and what you do. It is the 3 second rule. If you can’t capture the visitors attention in the first 3 seconds then you have lost them. If it was an online shop it would have your hottest products and clearly show your unique selling proposition (USP). Basically ever business website in reality is a shop although it may not have a shopping basket.

Swooping condors won’t do it for most people but effective use of your logo as an example of your work would be good.

People who are going to your website you hope to make in to long term customers. So what is on the home page? 1. your USP; 2. your core products or services; 3. testimonials or examples of your work; 4. any other relevant content. If you are location focused then showing where your are based could be a good idea.

New designers don’t always have lots of portfolio examples so I look for any example of their ability or if they have a specific demographic or business area fit.

John

BrettM33
    Participant
    Up
    Dave@SCBA, post: 74609 wrote:
    As a webdesigner I would expect Testimonials, there are alot of web designers out there so Testimonials can mean alot. From a customers perspective I would be scared of going with a webdesigner without any testimonials/portfolio pieces as it would make me feel like im the first person ever to use your services, a scary concept!

Is there a possibility of writing a little story about what CondorCreative is and how customers will benefit from using your services? It might fill a space until you get a portfolio up and going.

Possibly somethign to consider.

Regards

Dave

I personally never read too much into testimonials because I think they could be fake, however if they are included with a link to the site you did then they do look far more real. So I suppose that is something I could look at.

I was planning on writing a little about Condor on the front page & just basically introducing the business, but I was planning on keeping most of that for the “About Us” page.

Couple It, post: 74619 wrote:
    Hi Condor

I think I would look further if I saw each of the services you provide with a simple single sentence, almost a slogan for each. Now remember I’m NOT in marketing, but “Web Design…bringing your site to life” that sort of thing as a heading with a short description after it. I’d be happy to look into each page then, selecting the one I was interested in.

I’d love to see you use your incredible logo in an alternative way. Wouldn’t it be cool if it could swoop down over your list of services? I think your logo has the capacity to really capture and hold people’s interest.

Can’t wait to see the site :)

Wendy

Hi Wendy…. that’s the thing; because I am already having a little blurb in the slider in the header of the site about many of the services I provide I didn’t really want to double up in the content area; though perhaps seeing as I don’t include EVERY service in the slier I could list all the services without a description in the content area followed by a testimonial or two like Dave suggested?

John Debrincat, post: 74660 wrote:
    The home page of the website should define who you are and what you do. It is the 3 second rule. If you can’t capture the visitors attention in the first 3 seconds then you have lost them. If it was an online shop it would have your hottest products and clearly show your unique selling proposition (USP). Basically ever business website in reality is a shop although it may not have a shopping basket.

Swooping condors won’t do it for most people but effective use of your logo as an example of your work would be good.

People who are going to your website you hope to make in to long term customers. So what is on the home page? 1. your USP; 2. your core products or services; 3. testimonials or examples of your work; 4. any other relevant content. If you are location focused then showing where your are based could be a good idea.

New designers don’t always have lots of portfolio examples so I look for any example of their ability or if they have a specific demographic or business area fit.

John

That’s some good advice John & I definitely will take all that in mind now. :)

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up
    CondorCreative, post: 74714 wrote:
    …because I am already having a little blurb in the slider in the header of the site about many of the services I provide I didn’t really want to double up in the content area…

Would having the services in the header AND content area help with your ranking? I seem to remember (on one rare occasion) I read an SEO thread which said something about the content being important for this 😮

Wendy

BrettM33
    Participant
    Up
    Couple It, post: 74721 wrote:
    Would having the services in the header AND content area help with your ranking? I seem to remember (on one rare occasion) I read an SEO thread which said something about the content being important for this 😮

Wendy

Yes, very true… something to keep in mind as well. Thanks Wendy! :)

Rball
    • Total posts: 136
    Up

What about a short video clip that outlines what you are about and how it will benefit the client. This is becoming an efficient way to retain customers on the site, but it needs to be well made and catchy.
    …along side some text of what you do of course.

Tony Pfitzner
    • Total posts: 213
    Up

Reading is good Condor!

Do some research on the frequency of searches in Australia for keywords describing your main services. Use a H2 header for each service with relevant keywords at the start of each header. Then write a short description – pitch – usp for each service with an internal link (using keywords as anchor text) back to a full sales page.

Include strong calls to action – e.g. Call Now with phone number, contact form on right sidebar etc.

Try and get your primary sales pitch – in text – as high up the page as you can. Don’t overwhelm with the graphics and forget the selling proposition, the SEO, and the call to action.

Feature a prominent link to customers or testimonials. Site examples are very important for a web designer. Include a slideshow or high reolution images of your site designs and some descriptive text. Don’t just send people off to your customers sites at first click. One they have left your site they may not come back.

One day I may even get around to doing these things on my own site :)

p4tricia
    • Total posts: 44
    Up

A bit hard to say without looking at your website structure..

How about a promotion snippet? Something special for the launch of the site? Discount?

Maybe free analysis of what can be improved on your existing website. Most web developers would be able to quickly identify improvements without spending too much time. Don’t forget to include call to action (click/use contact form for obligation free quote/more info). If successful, this will generate leads for you. So not a totally ‘work-for-free’ exercise.

Also, IMHO, portfolio/case studies/examples alongside credible testimonials are very important. So, work on this as soon as you can. Unless personally referred to by a someone I know, I will only engage a new provider if I am sure they can do the job.

BrettM33
    Participant
    Up

Thank you all – very good advice! :) This has all given me a lot to think about & implement on the page.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.