Home – New Forums Starting your journey What would you be looking for? Or not.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Lindz
    • Total posts: 254
    Up
    ::

Hello Folks,

Hoping you can help me out with a bit of market research for my website which is coming soon.:)

If you’ve ever done or imagined having an extension or major renovation work done on your home I would really appreciate your answer to this question:

What sort of approaches, attitudes and practices would you hope to find in the ideal builder for your home extension or renovation?:D

Thanks for your help,

Lindsay

Leonie-SC
    • Total posts: 21
    Up

Hi Lindsay

Here’s my list from experience:

• Be on time or let me know if you or the job will be delayed
    • Don’t smoke outside and leave your cigarette butts all over my lawn
    • Same with building debris, washed out paint from brushes etc.
    • Set expectations when you quote for the job
    • Offer me a quality workmanship guarantee
    • Follow up to make sure the job has been completed to expectations
    • Make sure anyone working for you has the same standards and practices you want from your business
    • Be honest with me if my plans or ideas won’t work

Price is less important to me than a quality approach in workmanship, goods and attitude. I’d be looking for testimonials and photos of work examples on your web site. Building or rennovating is a big thing for those of us who are not familiar with all the technicalities, we really really want someone we can trust with our home as if it were your own!
    Hope this helps!

Lindz
    Up

Hello Leonie-SC,

Thanks for responding with some really informed feed back.

You’ve mentioned several interesting points there that confirm some important aspects for me.

All best,

Lindsay

The Rogue Counsellor
    • Total posts: 68
    Up

I didn’t reply earlier Lindz because Leonie-SC did such a good job, but am surprised others haven’t added more.

So as someone who knows nothing about renovating and building but who has commissioned some of each, I want:

– someone I can trust (reviews from others or personal recommendations) – this is my number 1 criteria
    – someone who will explain things to me in language I can understand, and who won’t assume I can fill in the gaps
    – someone who turns up when they say they will -if I’ve taken time off work to make the place available even a phone call saying “something’s come up and I can’t make it” is not good enough when I’ve forfeited a day’s pay to fit in with the tradie’s schedule
    – someone who cleans up after themselves is lovely, but not essential (had an electrician who did this and because he met the other criteria, this was an extra selling point)

Price is a much lesser issue for me provided I get a quality job and my other criteria are met.

My partner (who is not trade-qualified but who has owner-built two of our homes and who has renovated two others) has added approachability and flexibility and someone who has flair for their trade who can enhance your ideas and perhaps come up with a better way. He also wants someone who is neat and tidy in their work.

Not rocket science, but when I think about it, most tradies I’ve had haven’t met these criteria.

Good luck Lindz. I recall when you had your brilliant idea and am looking forward to seeing it go live.

Lee
    The Rogue Counsellor

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up

As someone who’s on the “other” side, and dealt with building clients for a long time, I think all the previously mentioned points are right on the money.

I once set up a successful building maintenance and renovation business … the keys to it’s success were sticking to the things mentioned.

Turn up when you say you will, is number one.

Number two is to actually deliver the quotation. We won a large percentage of work by actually delivering a quote.

I’ve lost count of the number of conversations I’ve had over the years with clients who struggled to get someone/anyone to turn up, and when they did, never delivered a quotation.

I think a little time flexibility is important in the renovation market too. We actually got started by marketing “we will come when it suits you” and more than trebled turnover in about 3 months.

What I found was, that by fitting in with the clients schedule initially, we got off on the right foot … without fail, within a short time we were trusted to come and go without issue at more conventional times.

The other really big one was rubbish management. Most tradesmen are used to being on a building site where this is often someone else’s problem, they then take that attitude onto a private clients job, and at best make it a very secondary issue.

There’s actually a very nice margin to be had, if the owner get’s home to find no trace of your stuff, or a trail of destruction through the house or garden.

Trade skills are important obviously, but my experience is that good manners and common sense go nearly as far. Really exceptional tradesmen always have those attributes it’s part of being properly trained and taking pride in what you do.

Lindz
    Up
    The Rogue Counsellor, post: 190151 wrote:
    I didn’t reply earlier Lindz because Leonie-SC did such a good job, but am surprised others haven’t added more.

So as someone who knows nothing about renovating and building but who has commissioned some of each, I want:

– someone I can trust (reviews from others or personal recommendations) – this is my number 1 criteria
    – someone who will explain things to me in language I can understand, and who won’t assume I can fill in the gaps
    – someone who turns up when they say they will -if I’ve taken time off work to make the place available even a phone call saying “something’s come up and I can’t make it” is not good enough when I’ve forfeited a day’s pay to fit in with the tradie’s schedule
    – someone who cleans up after themselves is lovely, but not essential (had an electrician who did this and because he met the other criteria, this was an extra selling point)

Price is a much lesser issue for me provided I get a quality job and my other criteria are met.

My partner (who is not trade-qualified but who has owner-built two of our homes and who has renovated two others) has added approachability and flexibility and someone who has flair for their trade who can enhance your ideas and perhaps come up with a better way. He also wants someone who is neat and tidy in their work.

Not rocket science, but when I think about it, most tradies I’ve had haven’t met these criteria.

Good luck Lindz. I recall when you had your brilliant idea and am looking forward to seeing it go live.

Lee
    The Rogue Counsellor

Hello Lee,

Good to hear from you and thanks to you and your partner for your collective responses.

As mentioned elsewhere, I had a business as a Home Improvements Builder in the past and did very well out of it. I figure I must have been doing something right and have recently tried to document that but was keen to hear if there was something I might have missed or that could be looked at in another way. Your comments have been a great help.

And yes, thanks to the the very practical support of ‘estim8’ things are progressing nicely with my other related project. Hoping to be live before the end of the month, albeit in a market testing format at first.

How’s your own venture and site coming along?

All best,

Lindsay

Lindz
    Up
    estim8, post: 190153 wrote:
    As someone who’s on the “other” side, and dealt with building clients for a long time, I think all the previously mentioned points are right on the money.

I once set up a successful building maintenance and renovation business … the keys to it’s success were sticking to the things mentioned.

Turn up when you say you will, is number one.

Number two is to actually deliver the quotation. We won a large percentage of work by actually delivering a quote.

I’ve lost count of the number of conversations I’ve had over the years with clients who struggled to get someone/anyone to turn up, and when they did, never delivered a quotation.

I think a little time flexibility is important in the renovation market too. We actually got started by marketing “we will come when it suits you” and more than trebled turnover in about 3 months.

What I found was, that by fitting in with the clients schedule initially, we got off on the right foot … without fail, within a short time we were trusted to come and go without issue at more conventional times.

The other really big one was rubbish management. Most tradesmen are used to being on a building site where this is often someone else’s problem, they then take that attitude onto a private clients job, and at best make it a very secondary issue.

There’s actually a very nice margin to be had, if the owner get’s home to find no trace of your stuff, or a trail of destruction through the house or garden.

Trade skills are important obviously, but my experience is that good manners and common sense go nearly as far. Really exceptional tradesmen always have those attributes it’s part of being properly trained and taking pride in what you do.

Thanks Greg,

Some great info and further validation.

Talk soon,

Lindsay

The Hobbit
    Participant
    • Total posts: 309
    Up

What I hope for in a builder;

1. Arrive on time
    2. Complete the job without interruption
    3. No lame excuses about wrong materials/delayed supplies
    4. Stick to quote
    5. Polite, clean & tidy tradesmen
    6. Pride in workmanship
    7. Clean builder’s licence record
    Craig_Longmuir
    • Total posts: 556
    Up

on top of all the others above, id want to see past examples of work and the ability to contact some of the clients to check “all of the others above”

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.