Home – New Forums Starting your journey What Would You Do?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    siringo
    • Total posts: 39
    Up
    ::

Hello.
    I’ve gone out on my own providing IT support to businesses in the towns around where I live in regional Victoria. I don’t have many clients yet and should be looking fo more, but …

Before I went out on my own I worked for an IT company that provided support services to a business. I was the primary support person for that business for almost 8 years and I got to know them quite well, and them me. This business has now expanded and they are considering putting on an IT support person of their own.

I would like to work for that business should the position become available.

Here’s my predicament. I’ve decided to hold off on acquiring new clients in case that position becomes available. This obviously has the down side that if the position does not eventuate I’ve wasted time getting new clients and making money.

Have I chosen the correct course of action?

ray_223
    • Total posts: 594
    Up

I’d stick with trying to keep growing your own business.
    You never know what someone else may or may not do. Don’t put yourself behind while waiting for someone else to make a decision!

Maybe call that business and ask them when they will make a decision.

If they do want someone, you may also decide to keep your current clients to do some after hours jobs for that extra cash – since you have such a good relationship with them already they would probably be ok with that.

All the best

exstatic
    • Total posts: 335
    Up
    ray_223, post: 27480 wrote:
    I’d stick with trying to keep growing your own business.
    You never know what someone else may or may not do. Don’t put yourself behind while waiting for someone else to make a decision!

Maybe call that business and ask them when they will make a decision.

If they do want someone, you may also decide to keep your current clients to do some after hours jobs for that extra cash – since you have such a good relationship with them already they would probably be ok with that.

All the best

Raymond is spot on.. you need to take your life into your own hands, don’t wait for another company to decide what it is you are going to do.

I am sure if you continue building your business and the offer does come along your clients are going to understand if you decide to take the position… just be sure to refer them on to someone who can take them off your hands.

Steve_Minshall
    • Total posts: 518
    Up

Hi Siringo,

I would dive in and get on with building my business because I am in business for the thrill of being in business and therefore any employment opportunities are irrelevant.

However, what should you do? I think you should do some soul searching and question whether having your own business with all its demands is what you really want or do you really want to apply yourself to the technical expertise you have?

The fact that just the possibility of a particular job offer is making you question your plan is ringing alarm bells for me. I think you should ask yourself, if I was offered this job today would I take it? This may help you confirm whether you really want to build a business or have a good corporate career and therefore what you should focus on achieveing.

I apologise if I have misread the situation.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

Ray has really answered your question, and I just saying that I support what he has said.

You have to think of you. You jumped and have a fledgeling business with a bit of effort will grow. Do that put in some effort and develop your business, and while you at it why not send a brochure or sales letter to this company. They may find it to their liking that you being freelance can provide what they want without being employed by them.

Treat them as another customer, and if they have any sense they will jump onto your customer list, because they know who you are and have the respect/ trust that it need to make workable business.

Give it a try, what have you to loose and whathave youto gain.

Get onto it NOW.

siringo
    • Total posts: 39
    Up

Thank you all for your replies they are greatly appreciated.

One of my biggest failings is that I am useless when it comes to promoting / selling myself and this is impacting on me obtaining new clients. I have trouble pushing my services forward towards prospective clients.

I still need to do some thinking about which way to go, but your replies are starting to create a direction in which the advice is pointing, so again I thank you all.

Hugh Thyer
    • Total posts: 159
    Up

You could offer to take your existing clients with you to that business. That would be enticing.

Or you could just learn some direct response marketing skills and get more customers.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.