Home – New Forums Marketing mastery What would you love to get for giving a referral?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    ShanDesign
    • Total posts: 67
    Up
    ::

Hi All,

I am in the process of creating a referral program. I have a few methods of implementing it in ready to go but I just can’t settle on what a good incentive for clients would be. Aside from having had a great experience with a company, what would encourage you to refer a business you have used?

My question is, what would appeal to you as an incentive to refer a business? I have seen discount offers, money from the referral’s sale, free gifts etc. Have you used something that has worked well?

We have a graphic/web design studio, ie. a service based b2b. I am not keen on discount cards, I would rather give something extra than discount if possible.

Thanks very much for any ideas!

Shannon
    http://www.shandesign.com.au

Johny
    • Total posts: 840
    Up

Getting a good referral back.

bridiej
    • Total posts: 1,097
    Up

Personally, I only refer to businesses I’ve either used and had great service from or those that I’ve got a relationship with, either through social media or sites such as this, and I know they’ll do a great job. In my mind, referring is giving it my stamp of approval and if I referred to a business who gave poor service it would reflect badly on me and my business.

Sorry, probably not the answer you were looking for, but just wanted to give you another perspective. 😮

I do offer a 10% discount off your next invoice if you refer a new client to me, although I’ve found that people refer anyway without being aware of it and I use it more as a “thank you” rather than a marketing gimmick.

HTH :)

bluepenguin
    • Total posts: 1,026
    Up

When I started out in this industry I tried all kinds of things to get referrals: discounts, free printing, gift vouchers, etc. and none of them really worked.

It wasn’t that people didn’t want to refer me, it just didn’t work because not everybody needs a graphic designer everyday. It’s not quite the same as recommending a new cafe or brand of toothpaste to a friend.

So I decided to take the money, time and energy I would have spent on referrals, and spent it on making my existing customers happy to be my customers.

This was the best thing I could have done. The clients I already had began to spend more money, and they started referring me to others anyway, not because there was something in it for them, but because they were genuinely impressed with the service they got from working with me and wanted their friends to have access to that too.

So yeah, I’m not saying don’t do it. A referral program may work wonders for you, but I’ve had no success.

ShanDesign
    Up

Thanks so much for your responses!

My thoughts are similar to yours Bridiej. I don’t recommend anyone unless I have had a great experience with them. I guess I more want to let people know/remind them that we are happy to take referrals and also put a system in place to say thank you.

I have had a lot of great referrals but don’t really have anything in place to thank people. So Bluepenguin might be on the right track.

New question then! What would you like to be given as a thank you from a business?

Thanks again for responses.

Shaukat Adam Khalid
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,528
    Up

There is a car dealer that sends a basket of goodies attached to lots of colorful balloons (non branded). There is a card with a message.

It is sent to the place of work of the client and it raises questions and generates referrals.

The dealer then sends a door hanger with a compelling message to the 5 houses around the customer’s place of residence that also generates referrals.

The dealer also holds “how to buy a car” workshops for female car buyers. A persuasive sales letter is sent to current customers, prospects and the community. It generates good will and becomes the place to buy for female shoppers.

Rinse and repeat.

The only time referrals or any marketing does not work is when the business owner acts like an owner builder without the necessary training and support.

Why reinvent the wheel when others have paved the way?

bluepenguin
    • Total posts: 1,026
    Up
    ShanDesign, post: 158274 wrote:
    New question then! What would you like to be given as a thank you from a business?

I don’t think it needs to cost you much, but it needs to be personal. If your client isn’t expecting anything in return for their referral, it doesn’t take much to brighten their day and make them feel really appreciated.

A handwritten card and some movie tickets is always nice.
    Or a giftcard from a charity like this one: https://www.oxfamunwrapped.com.au/gift/3/chicken?ref=home
    I often use these as part of my marketing as my money isn’t wasted if the marketing doesn’t bring in any business. It’s win win.

Lindz
    • Total posts: 254
    Up

Hello Shannon,

Apart from anything tangible, I would need your absolute assurance that you would look after anyone I referred to you at least as well as you looked after me.

All best,

Lindsay

ShanDesign
    Up

Khalid Adam, that is fantastic! Very unique and creative plus as you said, a good way to generate referrals.

Thanks for your post

Khalid Adam, post: 158275 wrote:
    There is a car dealer that sends a basket of goodies attached to lots of colorful balloons (non branded). There is a card with a message.

It is sent to the place of work of the client and it raises questions and generates referrals.

The dealer then sends a door hanger with a compelling message to the 5 houses around the customer’s place of residence that also generates referrals.

The dealer also holds “how to buy a car” workshops for female car buyers. A persuasive sales letter is sent to current customers, prospects and the community. It generates good will and becomes the place to buy for female shoppers.

Rinse and repeat.

The only time referrals or any marketing does not work is when the business owner acts like an owner builder without the necessary training and support.

Why reinvent the wheel when others have paved the way?

Mitch Gibson
    • Total posts: 20
    Up

Basically, what I do is offer a months free service for every referral that signs up.

So if they can provide 12 referrals, their whole year is free!

Our services are $159 per month so its a decent incentive, which has seemed to work.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.