Home – New Forums Starting your journey what would you spend 5k on in your business ?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #982968
    topdog
    Member
    • Total posts: 64
    Up
    0
    ::

    so as title says guys if you received $5000 clams what would you spend it on in your business ? BUT you still have to pay it back !

    biz shirts , biz cards , SEO/SEM ,accountancy software ,new tools , marketing , update website , invest ? are all things that quickly come to my mind ……

    i know its a broad question just trying to see if any of you have any other great ideas i could steal for my business and maybe ive missed some ideas too :)

    im in the building game myself so for me it would go on (quickly off the top of my head )

    new work wear shirts $400
    going pty ltd -$1500
    builders licence form -$1500
    new copy write wording for my site $400
    SEO $1000
    accountancy software $??? the free stuff isnt bad for i need actually
    keg of beer $200 after a hard days work for my new kegerator beer fridge lol

    wow actually reading that none of except the SEO would actually atract more clients to my business

    mmmmmmm scratching head, back to the drawing board ……..

    cheers glenn

    #1139904
    Greg_M
    Member
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up
    0
    ::

    Do I really have to pay it back?

    I don’t borrow money for business these days, once upon a time I would’ve though, probably would’ve been back in the queue asking for “more please sir”.

    As someone exiting the building game I would’ve liked working for you … good shirts, AND beer. My whole site wardrobe, including boots wouldn’t make $400 :)

    For the purpose of the exercise though (and I wouldn’t mind an extra 5k atm)… I’d probably stretch it out as working capital for overhead expenses … maybe some freelance coding and design.

    I definitely wouldn’t spend it on SEO … 1K wont go far, and too many traps for young players. Good copy is worth it though, and if your content is good you’re a long way there with the SEO anyway.

    So maybe I’ll add copywriting to my list.

    #1139905
    Brent Foster
    Member
    • Total posts: 15
    Up
    0
    ::

    I would suggest investing in (i) advertising, (ii) updating your site to make it responsive for access from mobile devices, (iii) perhaps some level of business analysis to streamline your process and save you time. The better your process, the more time you’ll have to network with potential clients… And to enjoy that keg haha.

    #1139906
    topdog
    Member
    • Total posts: 64
    Up
    0
    ::
    estim8, post: 159716 wrote:
    Do I really have to pay it back?

    I don’t borrow money for business these days, once upon a time I would’ve though, probably would’ve been back in the queue asking for “more please sir”.

    As someone exiting the building game I would’ve liked working for you … good shirts, AND beer. My whole site wardrobe, including boots wouldn’t make $400 :)

    For the purpose of the exercise though (and I wouldn’t mind an extra 5k atm)… I’d probably stretch it out as working capital for overhead expenses … maybe some freelance coding and design.

    I definitely wouldn’t spend it on SEO … 1K wont go far, and too many traps for young players. Good copy is worth it though, and if your content is good you’re a long way there with the SEO anyway.

    So maybe I’ll add copywriting to my list.

    hahaha etim8 unfortunately yup u gotta pay it back :'(

    im hopeless with shirts /shorts as soon as i use silicon and forget the rag im covered in the sh!t generally they last 6ish months 5 shirts 5 shorts 2 jackets all embroided /screen printed throw in a pair of boots 400 easy thats with a discount.

    ive been slowly pegging away at SEO over the past 3.5 years doing 3-6 months stints here n there , have been with 3 different companies, 1 i took to court was totally dodgy (oh and i won !- theyve since been shut down) 2nd mob was good but then up’d there rates and it was out of my price range and 3) currently with and on the 4 month mark (the below company ) ive manged to score a good deal at the moment 20 words SEO’d until 5 hit page 1 google within 6 months if they cant get 5 in 6 months they keep working until they do free of charge – cost me $1100.00 and ive managed to get them to add facebook and twitter logos to my site on all pages (9) and set them up with pics etc to, they are hoping i stay on after the 6 months , we’ll see how that goes .

    totally agree copy very important !! needs to be engaging, truthful, encouraging and most of all work ! im in the process of changing mine amongst other things new pics and remove flash player and put in java slider which leads me to the below fellow

    thx for your input estim8 ;)

    Brent Foster, post: 159721 wrote:
    I would suggest investing in (i) advertising, (ii) updating your site to make it responsive for access from mobile devices, (iii) perhaps some level of business analysis to streamline your process and save you time. The better your process, the more time you’ll have to network with potential clients… And to enjoy that keg haha.

    agree brent advertising

    as above im actually getting flash player changed to java slider tomorrow ;) good catch there .

    im trying to streamline processes thats why the pty ltd and the builder form so i can employ another chippie/handyman and i just concentrate on the quotiung buying materials invoicing advertising etc the old saying “working on the business , not in the business” is what im trying to achieve

    thx for your reply

    come on peeps i wanna hear all your ideas !!!!

    #1139907
    Divert To Mobile
    Member
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up
    0
    ::

    It would depend on the business.
    But at around the 5k mark you could be looking at a small stand at a large trade show.

    Steve

    #1139908
    Sign Here Graphix
    Member
    • Total posts: 32
    Up
    0
    ::

    A holiday,

    Clear my head, blow out the cobwebs and get back into it.

    #1139909
    ScarlettR
    Member
    • Total posts: 396
    Up
    0
    ::

    Study. I’d set aside five-six weeks, in 1 week blocks, to study new practices in business.

    At the moment I’m working at buyer personas, then process automation, and as always marketing. Learning how to do thing better, more efficiently.

    I know I can spend it on advertising but I’ve found the best resource to invest in my business is me.

    #1139910
    WhatsThePlanDan
    Participant
    • Total posts: 297
    Up
    0
    ::

    I’d use it to pay for all the professional advice my new business can’t afford yet (marketing, web/copy/seo, marketing (yes, more of it!!), more design work (things like flyers, fancy images for the website)).

    Like estim8 I’m trying very hard to not have to do any borrowing for this business. I’ve borrowed for both my previous businesses and been left holding the bag with the business not turning over enough to cover the repayments – I have no desire to repeat that! The upside is that it has made me more creative about getting things done and forced me to learn a lot more than I would have/did last time. So, so far bootstrap with no finance is a win for me.

    #1139911
    Greg_M
    Member
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up
    0
    ::
    WhatsThePlanDan, post: 159761 wrote:
    I’d use it to pay for all the professional advice my new business can’t afford yet (marketing, web/copy/seo, marketing (yes, more of it!!), more design work (things like flyers, fancy images for the website)).

    Like estim8 I’m trying very hard to not have to do any borrowing for this business. I’ve borrowed for both my previous businesses and been left holding the bag with the business not turning over enough to cover the repayments – I have no desire to repeat that! The upside is that it has made me more creative about getting things done and forced me to learn a lot more than I would have/did last time. So, so far bootstrap with no finance is a win for me.

    A very painful lesson to learn.

    Getting your assets ripped to bits supporting a business model that’s not really working is something you only want to do once.

    I’ve noticed your bank wont care, certainly not as much as helping you get the facility in the first place.

    If I can’t bootstrap it and/or pay cash, I don’t do it anymore.

    #1139912
    James Millar
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,739
    Up
    0
    ::

    Looking at our building clients and their organisation capabilities – without a doubt I’d invest in software. We have some that use simpro and some that use constructor. Substantially reduced quotation time, more accurate estimates and better customer service.

    Helping build better businesses and better lives with expert financial and taxation advice. [email protected] www.360partners.com.au 03 9005 4900
    #1139913
    markn
    Member
    • Total posts: 103
    Up
    0
    ::

    I’d spend it on a WordPress guru to transfer my static web sites into WordPress. I’ve been meaning to do it for ages and can never find time to spend.

    #1139914
    CarlieHamilton
    Member
    • Total posts: 41
    Up
    0
    ::

    Great post – seeing other’s shopping list is great.

    I have actually started my own wish list of things that I would love to purchase. I’m only very new and I am trying to keep my start up costs low until I get some more income. So this is my wishlist at the moment:

    • Xero – accounting software on the cloud. I’m on the trial right now and very pleased with it. Would love to purchase a years worth.
    • Business Cards, Magnets and/or Tshirts – I have managed to network with some other businesses and we will be starting a seminar series later in the year on helping small businesses – my angle is helping small businesses with their online presence and helping them embrace online technologies – and I really want some gear to give away as prizes and to give to people for networking purposes
    • Autoresponder Email – for email marketing

    My list is slowly growing, but umm… my cat has literally eaten it. Just now I got the piece of paper out of my pile and
    WP_000604.jpg

    #1139915
    bluepenguin
    Member
    • Total posts: 1,026
    Up
    0
    ::

    How many Nerf guns can you buy for $5,000?

    #1139916
    ScarlettR
    Member
    • Total posts: 396
    Up
    0
    ::
    bluepenguin, post: 159822 wrote:
    How many Nerf guns can you buy for $5,000?

    For the NERF VORTEX PYRAGON you can get 62.

    DC2521995056900B1077EF939B582B06.jpg

    For the NERF N-STRIKE RECON CS-6 you can buy 116.

    Recon.jpg

    But you gotta ask yourself… Do you want that many guns? Or one gun, and however many darts you can have made out of marshmallows?

    #1139917
    thewebtrafficexperiment
    Member
    • Total posts: 14
    Up
    0
    ::

    I’d buy the one thing I never have enough of – Time.

    (how much time does $5k buy anyway?)

    Although nerf guns do suddenly seem strangely appealing….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.