Home – New Forums Selling online What would you use the slideshow for in a webshop?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    heftzwecke
    • Total posts: 213
    Up
    ::

I want to fiddle a bit around with my slide show. I don’t like it very much. The photos are not good enough and too diverse: https://mountainherbs.net/
    I want it to look more like this (same colours in every photo, looks pretty cool to me): https://themes.shopify.com/themes/canopy/styles/kiln/preview

But the most important thing is what message do you best give in the slide show? Is it an intro in what you are doing (the example does it but not so directly)?
    Does the amount of slides increase the loading speed? And how many slides is good?

I have ideas for the rest of the homepage, but step by step…

winchweb
    • Total posts: 34
    Up

You may be disappointed to hear that the research shows that slideshows on websites usually don’t work. In other words, if you had the same website twice, one with slideshow and one without, the website with no slideshow would generate more business.
    They take up a LOT of that very valuable screen space that people first see. What should be seen is your key message – is the visitor in the right place? You have that 2-second ‘first impression’ timeframe to hook people in. Do you sell these herbs? Are they fresh or dried? Am I buying a plant? None of this is instantly clear… (I know, I know, if I read more I’ll find out. But some people won’t).
    So maybe have a think about the best ‘hero image’ that represents what you do, and the best short sentence to communicate that in words. A crude example might be “Grow Your Own Organic Herbs – Buy Online, Delivery Australia-wide”.
    Slideshows are distracting bling – if you’re building a commercial site, my advice would be to avoid the slideshow if possible. But if you really like it, then make sure each picture has a message to add something useful about what you do, who for, & why.

heftzwecke
    Up

Thanks for that. I think I will replace it either by a big image with a phrase or I put the gallery in that place whith more than one message, the former one is maybe more straightforward. I think I was carried away by the aestetics of the sample shop and wanted just something similar no matter wether it makes sense or not.

Mischelle
    • Total posts: 805
    Up

You could go with a hero image and a message like Tony suggested, I think it would look fresh with a white background rather than grey (Example Attached) and a nice sized message of “Our Garden to yours – buy your herbs online and start growing” LOL

heftzwecke
    Up

I think I’ll go with a so called hero image which sends ONE message. Pull the instagram feed downwards and make a different gallery clickable.

El Arish Tropical Exotics
    • Total posts: 227
    Up

I use my hero image to push sale items or new stuff. In Neto it’s pretty easy to pause campaigns and restart or edit. It makes it easy to change it up a bit for repeat customers that like something fresh.
    Ann

heftzwecke
    Up

I’ll have a look at your site (won’t buy anything tropical though). How do you go with your flatrate postage? Do you send out in prepaid envelopes?

Up

Love flat rate. My average order is too large for prepaid, eparcel is what we use.
    Ann

heftzwecke
    Up

Thanks(I answer it is raining) I will have a look in eparcel, I use prepaid, but my plants are smaller. I think postage is THE most difficult thing in ecommerce, not setting up the website something :)

Up
    heftzwecke, post: 253010, member: 88078 wrote:
    Thanks(I answer it is raining) I will have a look in eparcel, I use prepaid, but my plants are smaller. I think postage is THE most difficult thing in ecommerce, not setting up the website something :)

If you are having a problem sorting out shipping maybe you should look at how some of your competitors do it. It’s worth placing a few orders with different specialty herb sellers and seeing what size plant they ship out, how the manage price structure, packaging on shipping/plants, etc.

As your business grows your challenges will change, the only consistent is challenges but that’s what makes life interesting. Stay open to new ideas and have fun :p

Ann

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.