Home – New Forums Marketing mastery What’s in a name??

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Barb
    • Total posts: 144
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone,

I am in turmoil over my domain name….”youradminangels.com.au”.

The domain I would like is already taken and I have recently found out that there is another business that has a very similar web address to mine (also in the same industry). I would ideally like to have just “adminangels” which is my business name, however the only way I can have this is if I adopt .net.au instead of .com.au.

Is it worth changing this? I also think that my web address is too long, so to shorten it and have my correct business name would be a huge marketing advantage. Any thoughts??

Thanks,
    Barb

marketingweb
    • Total posts: 625
    Up

Hi Barb,

My advice would be NOT to change it. For a three main reasons.

1) .net.au domain names are much harder to get good ranks for. There are some notable exceptions that rank well, but I would’t go from a .com.au to a .net.au unless the .net.au was a 10 times better domain which what you are comparing to isn’t. See here discussion on this topic.

2) People when you tell them a domain name usually think everything will be .com.au if you are talking to aussies. If you own the .net.au you will have a lot of people miss-type your domain name in and end up on the competitors site. Better to have something a little longer but at least unique.

3) You already rank reasonably well with this existing domain (although much more could be done). If i type in “admin angels”, number #1 is your competitor, #2 is you. With a bit of basic seo/linkbuilding you could quite easily get above them in google for that phrase and even perhaps get some people looking for them but clicking on you first! Let me know if you want help with this as you can likely get a LOT of improvement in rankings with only a reasonable amount work/cost.

Hope this helps.
    Matt
    Marketing & Website Solutions Australia

PS: On a slightly different note, you have a fairly nice looking site that looks a little odd because it’s not centered on the page – the overall fixed width site, NOT the text within it I mean. I suggest it is worth fixing this.

YoungNomad
    • Total posts: 116
    Up

With the right marketing you will be fine – http://www.livein.com.au was taken, so we opted for http://www.livein.net.au.

Hasn’t been an issue for us at all.

Michael_R
    • Total posts: 130
    Up

Go and see if you can get http://www.admin-angels.com.au – some people say ” – ” is not the right thing to do – however I find it easier to read with some domain names and I have not found anything to say that it does not work well with SEO and stuff!!

M

marketingweb
    Up

Hi Barb,

For what it’s worth I completely disagree both of the above replies for your specific situation.

.net.au domain names aren’t too bad to remember, but are known to be much harder to rank well in search engine results than a .com.au

names with a dash can rank ok, but are just annoying to say and remember. Saying it out loud is “admin dash angels dot com dot au” which is just not nice, plus many people will forget the dash and end up at the opposition.

I think your current domain name of youradminangels.com.au is a perfectly fine domain name, is quite brandable and doesn’t have any of the problems of the above suggestions.

If you want to change because people type in their name by mistake when looking for you, this is NOT going to help by changing to .net.au or a dash, as both versions are easier to mistake for theirs than your current domain is!

If on the other hand you are looking to change because they rank above you in Google for phrases like Admin Angels, then this is a very bad way of going about it. If you are thinking down this line let me know, as I can almost definitely get your website ranked above theirs for the term “admin angels”

Matt
    Marketing Web

Michael_R
    • Total posts: 130
    Up

Matt I think that you ideas are very good.

I guess it all depends on how people are going to find your site and the ‘dash’ augment is going to be something that we are going to see come up a lot and it all depends on personal thinking.

I have been having this fight with some others in the last month and no one is winning yet!!

I personally think that we are going to see the use of the ‘dash’ to make domains easier to read and easier to understand.

thanks M

P.S – don’t want to start and another fight on this Matt :)

marketingweb
    Up

Hi Michael,

I’m definitely not trying to start a fight, I’m just trying to help Barb out! I promise I’m not having a go at you or young nomad, sorry if it came across that way at all.

I agree with you that with dashes is easier to read, however they aren’t easier to say such as on radio or in actual word of mouth, so six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Much more importantly without a dash is the standard that has been adopted by people worldwide as the preferred way of doing domain names. Being non-standard is attractive sometimes, but I don’t think in this case it is. The exception I would make for dashed names is a name like fitness-shop which is hard to read as fitnessshop because there are just too many s’s!

Most importantly, if she already has a domain name including the keywords with only 4 letters before it (that make sense), I don’t see the point of going to the effort of changing it to a .com.au or dashed name.

Just my thoughts
    Matt
    Marketing Web

Barb
    • Total posts: 144
    Up

Thanks everyone for your time in replying.

I hadn’t really thought about changing my domain name until it was suggested to me that it might be better to market my business with a shorter name.

I’m udating my website and logo now, so I thought it was the perfect time to look at everything and if I was going to change my domain name, would do it at the same time.

Although ranking well in searches is important to me, it’s not something that I’m going to concentrate on at the moment.

Thanks again for your feedback, much appreciated.

Regards,
    Barb

marketingweb
    Up

Hi Barb,

Sorry if I got the wrong end of the stick re it being a search engine ranking thing – I guess I just presumed as it’s often a major reason why people consider this type of thing.

For offline (traditional) marketing I still think you are better with what you have. Offline marketing is a lot about having people easily remember your name. They will remember the admin angels bit fine, but are likely to either forget it’s .net.au and will put .com.au, or forget the dash if you change to either of the other suggested options – meaning they end up at your competitors site.

My last word on the subject, I fear I’ve said too much already! :-)

Matt
    Marketing Web

Steven Hudson
    • Total posts: 122
    Up

What’s in a name…….everthing!!!

If you are going to change, think about having a main keyword or two in the URL…but remember if you are going to use add words there is a limitation on the number of characters you are allowed in your destination name which is based on the URL. I think it is 34 characters???

Cheers

Steven

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.