Home – New Forums Get productive What’s the best mistake you ever made in your business?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    ScarlettR
    • Total posts: 396
    Up
    ::

Was reading an article in last months MyBusiness mag and the guy was talking about how all great leaders make mistakes. It’s how we move on from them that makes us the great leaders.

So it got me thinking- what’s your best mistake you ever made in your business? Maybe something you were sure would be the ultimate downfall of everything you’d built? Maybe something so insignificant you didn’t realise how much of a difference it would make to the way you do things?

The one I can remember off the top of my head is that I had a client tell me I’d completely misread the brief. I felt I’d failed horribly. In this instance the mistake was not huge, but my reaction to it was quick and hot. First total shock, then a breakdown. The way she told me how I’d disappointed her after she’d had her hopes up so high destroyed me.

Making clients happy and feeling like I accomplish good work are probably up there in the top 5 most important things for my business and this was two in one. I cracked. Had to almost take the following day off because sometimes I suffer from really chronic anxiety.

So why was it the best? Because she’s now one of my most loyal clients. After returning to work with a clear head and understanding the situation I tried again, totally unsure if I was on the right track. Thankfully I was! But it taught me this:
    1. I’m allowed to react to feedback. I need to in order to move forward.
    2. My response to the situation is vital. I realized I couldn’t come back guns blazing, and I also couldn’t come back like a slobbering idiot. So that cleared up a lot of my customer service responses for future situations.
    3. It clarified for me how I respond to such feedback, and that I can get through
    4. It made me more confident in my own business. This has a positive effect on my clients ten fold, as I can handle situations without cringing away, but being open and honest.

I’ll probably end up wanting to change this but right now it seems the most poignant mistake. What was yours?

Healthy Personal Finances
    • Total posts: 194
    Up

I guess our biggest mistake was jumping into business because we were so passionate about it (as we all are) but not even understanding how we get our name out there.
    We spent months getting disillusioned with ourselves and questioning if we were doing the right thing.
    What this did make us realise that we were combining too much into the one business and we needed to focus on separating our business into two distinct market segements. We have now got one business for individuals and families concentrating on financial planning. The other business we are setting up is a book keeping and accounting service aimed at small business.
    Now our clients are no longer confused as to what we do and how we can help.
    Took a while for us to admit we were not “right” – but we got there in the end and couldn’t be happier with how it is now turning out.
    Stacey

Peter – FS Administrator
    • Total posts: 1,889
    Up

Hi Scarlett,
    Good question :)
    Co-incidentally we asked a similar question on Facebook about the biggest mistakes people made when starting their business and we got some interesting responses https://www.facebook.com/FlyingSoloAU/posts/596643067030924
    Thanks!
    Peter

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

I thought we have had this question before …….
    The best mistake I ever made was agreeing to help a friend clean some offices one night, almost 28 years ago in Brisbane.
    Gave me an insight about what life should be. Within a month of this event I started my own carpet cleaning business, which I still have, and a most rewarding part of my life in the cleaning industry.

The other best mistake was taking “shewhomustbe ” out for a drink 43 years ago hahahahaa

dextereugenio
    • Total posts: 536
    Up

my best mistake in my business was to go at it alone.

when the decision was made to purchase an existing business I was to do it with a business partner.

things happened, parents got in the way, and i ended up buying it on my own.

i almost thew up when the ink dried and the thought of doing it alone frightened the hell out of me and I was for certain it was a mistake going solo.

6 years on, its the best mistake i ever made.

MH08
    • Total posts: 284
    Up

Not doing the mistake/failing fast enough, so I can get through it and move on.

Shaukat Adam Khalid
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,528
    Up

1. Not knowing how to identify ineffective, bad advice usually dressed up as “common sense” and “logical”.

2. Not having a formal referral system

3. Incorrectly assuming that people pay for skills and expertise when all they want is someone that makes them feel good and appreciated ie people don’t care what you know until they know that you care.

4. Doing everything but direct response accountable marketing and wondering why I was suffering from roller coaster income.

5. Getting my name “out there” instead of targeting niches and subcultres.

6. Trying to sell on price.

7. Not have a point of difference

8. Incorrect use of telemarketing – Don’t chase sales or appointments on first contact.

9. Assuming it takes 14 hour days to be successful.

10. Giving priority to business over family.

Joe @ Clik Clik
    • Total posts: 20
    Up

Biggest mistake for us was trying to work with “cheaper” designers and different ones to different things.

We finally went with a highly recommended one that we had to pay quite a bit more for but everything fits together nicely now.

So the “cheaper” designers were not so cheap in the end as we had to pretty well throw out everything they had done.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.