Home – New Forums Other discussions What’s the point of renewable energy?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    bridiej
    • Total posts: 1,097
    Up
    ::

So the WA state budget has been handed down, and apparently the promised 10 years of 40c solar feed-in tariff will be reduced to 30c from October, and then cut in half to 20c after that.

Firstly, I don’t understand how governments get away with making promises and then going back on them. Wouldn’t get away with it in business, so why should this be any different? Why can’t they be held accountable?

Secondly, I just don’t get this whole renewable energy thing.

They want us to use renewables so we lower our carbon footprint and meet their targets for carbon reduction. Then, when we do what they want and invest in the technologies to allow us to do so, they say they’re not making enough from electricity so a) raise the electricity price and b) cut the feed-in tariff.

Oh, and we’re all using too much and creating too much carbon, so we’ll have to pay a Carbon Tax which will add $$$s to everything we buy as well.

I was already a sceptic of the whole “man made climate change” arguments, but it appears more and more obvious that governments are using it as an excuse to tax everyone and fill their coffers.

Interested in your thoughts…

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

The ballot box is how you hold a government accountable.

Man man climate change has pretty much been accepted by everyone, so no controversy there. Whether a carbon scheme is the right way is up for debate.

Pretty controversial topic for a small business forum :)

The Copy Chick
    • Total posts: 963
    Up

It’s very easy for them to wax lyrical when it suits them, but the bottom line is their bottom line!

Of course it doesn’t work for them if people are reducing their usage and the amount they spend. That’s lost revenue!! (And god forbid they actually engage in any long-term thought process which looks beyond the next election :( )

Given the recent changes to the feed-in tariff for newcomers to solar in SA, I’ve also wondered how long my ‘guaranteed’ feed-in rate would last. I wonder if those who signed contracts agreeing to a specific rate over a specific time could launch a class-action suit against them.

Unfortunately with our current system of government, voting a party in or out on the grounds of one policy means you’re just as likely to end up with another equally unpalatable situation to deal with. It’s a little like choosing between the devil and the deep blue sea… *sigh*

Bryce.r
    • Total posts: 14
    Up

A small business forum is the BEST place for a major political debate! We should contact channel 9.

I feel politicians should stop making promises, actually contribute to the community and use that as their political campaign. “Look what we have done over the past 3/4 years for Area X. Give us another 3/4 years and see how much more we can do.”

That sounds a lot better than “We will do x, y and hopefully z if there is time.”

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up
    bridiej, post: 169104 wrote:
    So the WA state budget has been handed down, and apparently the promised 10 years of 40c solar feed-in tariff will be reduced to 30c from October, and then cut in half to 20c after that.

Firstly, I don’t understand how governments get away with making promises and then going back on them. Wouldn’t get away with it in business, so why should this be any different? Why can’t they be held accountable?

I totally agree with your second paragraph. I wonder if a complaint to the accc, or a class action is in order. I’ll be annoyed if my 60c tariff is changed before the end of the contract.

Steve

bridiej
    Up
    MatthewKeath, post: 169111 wrote:
    The ballot box is how you hold a government accountable.

I didn’t vote for the Liberals in the state election… But I am still stuck with them.

Quite right Anna, unfortunately there is little choice. I’m thinking about starting the Monster Raving Loony Party here in WA so at least people can have a protest vote! ;)

Agree Bryce, I hate the negative campaigning that goes on. I’d prefer if the parties stopped slagging each other off, stopped making huge promises they’ve no hope of keeping and concentrated on some of the areas that need sorting out.

Hopefully the people of WA will force the government to back paddle on the solar issue, as I believe happened in NSW. Seems all our state government are interested in is a shiny new sports stadium for AFL…. who cares?

Enviro Footprint
    • Total posts: 94
    Up

The pricing of essential services is and always be an issue, having worked in both water an electricity (not WA) it is a constant without an end, IF you stick with the utilities.
    Pricing is used to control demand, but the utility needs revenue to operate. Up the price to curb demand, then up again to revover revenue. The crunch comes when there is enough public outrage and jobs are cut or mergers occur searching for cost efficencies, then the cycle starts again.

The only out is to go off grid or reduce reliance on the grid or network. So solar should be about generating enough energy to cover usage. Works well for business as usage is at the same time as generation, during daylight. Not so good for domestic, this is where the reliance on feed in tarrifs come. Peak demand, morning and night, little or no generation during this time, peak generation at time when use is low, so you need the tarrif to offset costs. Energy efficency is an alternative, leds solar hotwater etc…

Running out of space, typing on tablet, no spell check, excuse typos please,.,

bridiej
    Up

Thankfully the WA government have seen sense and changed their minds :D

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.