Home – New Forums Other discussions What’s this all about improper writing?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 165 total)
  • Author
    EmbalmSkincare
    Participant
    • Total posts: 459
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone,

Over the past few weeks, I have come across some post where people mis-write something so totally that I can’t help myself but putting this out there.

What is this all about “someone will of seen your car getting around”????

Although, when spoken it may sound like an “OF” it is not OF but HAVE!

“Will’ve seen your car…”.

I just can’t overlook incorrect writing, especially when it’s not just a typo.

When I see something like this above, it’s like this noise chalk makes on a blackboard at school. urrrrggggrrrrrhhhh!

Thanks for your time!

Regards,
    Mel

SalenaKnight
    • Total posts: 604
    Up

I hear you! Sometimes I have no idea what people are even saying!

http://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/

SalenaKnight
    • Total posts: 604
    Up

I hear you! Sometimes I have no idea what people are even saying!

http://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/

SAmedia
    • Total posts: 191
    Up

I totally agree.

It’s also hard with clients as well. They try and explain their situation and its just exasperated by their poor spelling and grammar!

SAmedia
    • Total posts: 191
    Up

I totally agree.

It’s also hard with clients as well. They try and explain their situation and its just exasperated by their poor spelling and grammar!

bridiej
    • Total posts: 1,097
    Up
    Fingerfood, post: 108693 wrote:
    Over the past few weeks, I have come across some post where people mis-write something so totally that I can’t help myself but putting this out there.

Did you mean to type “I have come across some posts“? ;)

TBH I used to let it worry me but then I stopped and thought about it. There are lots of people in the world who are dyslexic. Why make them feel worse about it by picking holes in their posts?

Also, in Australia a large percentage of the population come from countries where English isn’t the first language.

Since I myself only actually speak English I have nothing but admiration for those who have learnt English in addition to their native language.

Sure, it might be a little frustrating to see typos and poor grammar but it doesn’t hurt anyone, does it? :)

bridiej
    • Total posts: 1,097
    Up

Did you mean to type “I have come across some posts“? ;)

TBH I used to let it worry me but then I stopped and thought about it. There are lots of people in the world who are dyslexic. Why make them feel worse about it by picking holes in their posts?

Also, in Australia a large percentage of the population come from countries where English isn’t the first language.

Since I myself only actually speak English I have nothing but admiration for those who have learnt English in addition to their native language.

Sure, it might be a little frustrating to see typos and poor grammar but it doesn’t hurt anyone, does it? :)

Uncomplicating
    • Total posts: 731
    Up
    Hi everyone,

When I see something like this above, it’s like this noise chalk makes on a blackboard at school. urrrrggggrrrrrhhhh!

Thanks for your time!

Regards,
    Mel

Having been educated at the same high school that Shakespeare is alleged to have attended, King Edward VIth Grammar in Stratford Upon Avon for those have an interest in such things, and then having moved to Australia, I can assure you all that there are many things that used to drive me nuts.

Now, after 12 years in this fine land I now call home, and having read Lynne Truss’ fabulous tome, “Eats, shoots and leaves”, I’ve learned that it’s OK to be a silent pedant and that not everyone has my command of the English language….not that they’re any better in the UK of course.

I’ve learned to understand that Australians just seem to like using a rising intonation and not every thing they say is actually a question, and I’m even beginning to cope with the use of text message abbrev. in the written word, which is gr8.

But I cannot and will not ever get to grips with the almost ubiquitous mispronunciation of the 8th letter of the Roman alphabet.

IT’S AITCH, NOT HAITCH.

Uncomplicating
    • Total posts: 731
    Up
    Hi everyone,

Thanks for your time!

Regards,
    Mel

Having been educated at the same high school that Shakespeare is alleged to have attended, King Edward VIth Grammar in Stratford Upon Avon for those have an interest in such things, and then having moved to Australia, I can assure you all that there are many things that used to drive me nuts.

Now, after 12 years in this fine land I now call home, and having read Lynne Truss’ fabulous tome, “Eats, shoots and leaves”, I’ve learned that it’s OK to be a silent pedant and that not everyone has my command of the English language….not that they’re any better in the UK of course.

I’ve learned to understand that Australians just seem to like using a rising intonation and not every thing they say is actually a question, and I’m even beginning to cope with the use of text message abbrev. in the written word, which is gr8.

But I cannot and will not ever get to grips with the almost ubiquitous mispronunciation of the 8th letter of the Roman alphabet.

IT’S AITCH, NOT HAITCH.

SuzsSpace
    Participant
    • Total posts: 692
    Up

If I see a problem on a web page I’m likely to email and tell them about it. If I see a problem on a forum I say nothing unless I’m querying their intent. English is a mongrel language and really hard to learn, it’s hard enough for native speakers so for someone to come along and have to learn it from a totally different background is thoroughly frustrating for them. I’ve heard people from a Polish background trying to make jokes in English and they totally fall flat as they’ve misunderstood the language.

SuzsSpace
    Participant
    • Total posts: 692
    Up

If I see a problem on a web page I’m likely to email and tell them about it. If I see a problem on a forum I say nothing unless I’m querying their intent. English is a mongrel language and really hard to learn, it’s hard enough for native speakers so for someone to come along and have to learn it from a totally different background is thoroughly frustrating for them. I’ve heard people from a Polish background trying to make jokes in English and they totally fall flat as they’ve misunderstood the language.

victorng
    • Total posts: 626
    Up
    When I see something like this above, it’s like this noise chalk makes on a blackboard at school.

Does this happen alot?

victorng
    • Total posts: 626
    Up
    When I see something like this above, it’s like this noise chalk makes on a blackboard at school.

Does this happen alot?

The Copy Chick
    • Total posts: 963
    Up

LOL – that’s awesome Victor :D

The ones that always drive me crazy are when people are looking for “advise” instead of “advice” or use “then” instead of “than” (I’m bigger then him).

But, as Bridie so rightly pointed out, not everyone speaks English as a first language, or they might be dyslexic, or they might have come through a school system where “there are no wrong answers, just better ones” (my cousin’s son who is in grade 1 showed me his school books where “the flowers had ‘growed’ and the wind ‘blowed'” and this hadn’t been marked wrong. What chance does the poor kid have?).

So.. as much as I grit my teeth, I try to remember that not everyone is a professional writer… and even they make mistakes from time to time, because they are human and get tired, or (as is the case on forums/FB/Twitter) don’t have time to edit & review, or are typing with one finger because they’re eating lunch at their desk.

That said, I still have a very hard time with those who use text talk in their typing (c u l8tr).

The Copy Chick
    • Total posts: 963
    Up

LOL – that’s awesome Victor :D

The ones that always drive me crazy are when people are looking for “advise” instead of “advice” or use “then” instead of “than” (I’m bigger then him).

But, as Bridie so rightly pointed out, not everyone speaks English as a first language, or they might be dyslexic, or they might have come through a school system where “there are no wrong answers, just better ones” (my cousin’s son who is in grade 1 showed me his school books where “the flowers had ‘growed’ and the wind ‘blowed'” and this hadn’t been marked wrong. What chance does the poor kid have?).

So.. as much as I grit my teeth, I try to remember that not everyone is a professional writer… and even they make mistakes from time to time, because they are human and get tired, or (as is the case on forums/FB/Twitter) don’t have time to edit & review, or are typing with one finger because they’re eating lunch at their desk.

That said, I still have a very hard time with those who use text talk in their typing (c u l8tr).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 165 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.