Home – New Forums Other discussions What’s this all about improper writing?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 165 total)
  • Author
    Uncomplicating
    • Total posts: 731
    Up
    ::
    The Copy Chick, post: 109234 wrote:
    my cousin’s son who is in grade 1 showed me his school books where “the flowers had ‘growed’ and the wind ‘blowed'” and this hadn’t been marked wrong. What chance does the poor kid have?

My 5 year old daughter was in kindegarten last year. She was given a list of words for spelling practice and it included the word “Brang”.

Uncomplicating
    Up
    my cousin’s son who is in grade 1 showed me his school books where “the flowers had ‘growed’ and the wind ‘blowed'” and this hadn’t been marked wrong. What chance does the poor kid have?

My 5 year old daughter was in kindegarten last year. She was given a list of words for spelling practice and it included the word “Brang”.

The Copy Chick
    • Total posts: 963
    Up
    UncomplicatingIT, post: 109237 wrote:

Oh dear lord! :(

The Copy Chick
    • Total posts: 963
    Up
    UncomplicatingIT, post: 109237 wrote:

Oh dear lord! :(

Shaukat Adam Khalid
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,528
    Up

Well youre just going to have ecuse my engrish

Shaukat Adam Khalid
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,528
    Up

Well youre just going to have ecuse my engrish

tonyk
    • Total posts: 1,430
    Up

I have seen In and If spelt as I’n and I’f. Not sure how this is possible in this day and age.

tonyk
    • Total posts: 1,430
    Up

I have seen In and If spelt as I’n and I’f. Not sure how this is possible in this day and age.

Uncomplicating
    Up
    LOL – that’s awesome Victor :D

That said, I still have a very hard time with those who use text talk in their typing (c u l8tr).

My wife is senior at one of the big city accounts firms and receives a regular supply of applications and C.V.s from graduates using text talk.

And don’t get me started on the apparently random use of the apostrophe. It drives me nuts.

Its as if thayve never had no propper grammer and riting lesson’s.

Uncomplicating
    Up
    LOL – that’s awesome Victor :D

That said, I still have a very hard time with those who use text talk in their typing (c u l8tr).

My wife is senior at one of the big city accounts firms and receives a regular supply of applications and C.V.s from graduates using text talk.

And don’t get me started on the apparently random use of the apostrophe. It drives me nuts.

Its as if thayve never had no propper grammer and riting lesson’s.

DavidM
    • Total posts: 329
    Up

I’m all for speaking like the customer, but yes I too do cringe sometimes. The one I really have a bee in my bonnet about is:

‘You should see the amount of times that I…’

Actually, it’s number of times. If you can count it; it’s number of times. If you can’t count it, it’s amount. E.g:

• The number of times I always have to wait in line is unacceptable
    • The amount of flour in this cake is unacceptable

But yes – just like the book How to win friends and influence people advises, I don’t correct people. Probably because I’m also bound to trigger Muphry’s law.

DavidM
    • Total posts: 329
    Up

I’m all for speaking like the customer, but yes I too do cringe sometimes. The one I really have a bee in my bonnet about is:

Actually, it’s number of times. If you can count it; it’s number of times. If you can’t count it, it’s amount. E.g:

But yes – just like the book How to win friends and influence people advises, I don’t correct people. Probably because I’m also bound to trigger Muphry’s law.

Uncomplicating
    Up
    DavidM, post: 109246 wrote:

I’m the same with “Less” and “Fewer”.

Uncomplicating
    Up
    DavidM, post: 109246 wrote:

I’m the same with “Less” and “Fewer”.

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up

Oh-My-Gosh

There may be a need for me to refrain from posting in this forum until I can re-enroll in some form of higher education (predominately English) as I feel my grammar may cause some internal grievances. 😮

Any suggestions on which school would provide the best outcome in Melbourne?

Cheers

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 165 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.