Home Forums Other discussions What’s this all about improper writing?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 165 total)
  • Author
    AussieDomainer
    • Total posts: 11

My number one pet hate!
    LOOSE instead of LOSE.
    It may rhyme with ‘Choose’ , but only has one ‘O’
    When and why did it gain the additional ‘O’ ?
    Does not make sense when the popular trend is abbreviating words.

Ridd
    • Total posts: 2

I’d like to add “forward planning” … when have you ever planned backwards??

And while not written the old chestnut of not pronouncing the L in Australia!!!

Ridd
    • Total posts: 2

Uncomplicating
    • Total posts: 731
    Ridd, post: 109882 wrote:

Yes, a shining example of a pleonasm, just like the equally annoying “I saw it with my own eyes”.

Makes me shudder

Uncomplicating
    • Total posts: 731
    Ridd, post: 109882 wrote:

Yes, a shining example of a pleonasm, just like the equally annoying “I saw it with my own eyes”.

Makes me shudder

Indo
    • Total posts: 59
    UncomplicatingIT, post: 109887 wrote:

Makes me shudder

Thanks for adding to my vocabulary with pleonasm.

I particularly dislike “return back to”.

The recent advertising trend that adds ridiculous suffixes to words such as KFC’s “Goodification” and whatever bank it is that has the old guy talking about being an “ownerer” (see, I can’t even remember which bank so it doesn’t work) is also irritating. I’m guessing their marketing people think they’re being clever but I’m afraid it comes across as simply stupid to me.

Indo
    • Total posts: 59
    UncomplicatingIT, post: 109887 wrote:

Makes me shudder

Thanks for adding to my vocabulary with pleonasm.

I particularly dislike “return back to”.

The recent advertising trend that adds ridiculous suffixes to words such as KFC’s “Goodification” and whatever bank it is that has the old guy talking about being an “ownerer” (see, I can’t even remember which bank so it doesn’t work) is also irritating. I’m guessing their marketing people think they’re being clever but I’m afraid it comes across as simply stupid to me.

SuzsSpace
    • Total posts: 692

Maybe they think they’re Shakespeare and can make up words.

SuzsSpace
    • Total posts: 692

Allied
    • Total posts: 96

Can anyone remember being taught the grammar rules at school or ever owned a grammar book or tried to find one???

No… then there is the answer to the problem!

We have to failed to place importance on grammar in our education system and expect it to be learnt naturally. We are just handing down our bad habits from one generation to the next.

Now we have spell check, grammar check and have added texting and emails to make it even worse.

Sadly, I think our language will just keep declining until someone decides to place some importance on spelling and grammar as our children learn to read & write…. we might have to train the teachers up first to do this now.

Allied
    • Total posts: 96

Can anyone remember being taught the grammar rules at school or ever owned a grammar book or tried to find one???

No… then there is the answer to the problem!

We have to failed to place importance on grammar in our education system and expect it to be learnt naturally. We are just handing down our bad habits from one generation to the next.

Now we have spell check, grammar check and have added texting and emails to make it even worse.

Sadly, I think our language will just keep declining until someone decides to place some importance on spelling and grammar as our children learn to read & write…. we might have to train the teachers up first to do this now.

NathanB
    • Total posts: 775
    SuzsSpace, post: 109945 wrote:

I often like to make up my own words to convey my thoughts. I have prepared a small list for everyone to sample.

Terribad – Used when something exceeds being both bad and terrible but not quite horrible.

Horribad – Used when something exceeds being terrible, bad and horrible.

Fusstomer – An annoying fussy customer.

Diabesity – A person whom is obese and more than likely has diabetes.

Freesearch– When a colleague or friend asks me to conduct some business related research for them minus my usual hourly fees.

NathanB
    • Total posts: 775
    SuzsSpace, post: 109945 wrote:

I often like to make up my own words to convey my thoughts. I have prepared a small list for everyone to sample.

Terribad – Used when something exceeds being both bad and terrible but not quite horrible.

Horribad – Used when something exceeds being terrible, bad and horrible.

Fusstomer – An annoying fussy customer.

Diabesity – A person whom is obese and more than likely has diabetes.

Freesearch– When a colleague or friend asks me to conduct some business related research for them minus my usual hourly fees.

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Allied, post: 110845 wrote:
    Sadly, I think our language will just keep declining until someone decides to place some importance on spelling and grammar as our children learn to read & write…

I’d like to see the proof that our children are still learning to read and write ;)

Wendy :)

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Allied, post: 110845 wrote:
    Sadly, I think our language will just keep declining until someone decides to place some importance on spelling and grammar as our children learn to read & write…

I’d like to see the proof that our children are still learning to read and write ;)

Wendy :)

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 165 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.