Home Forums Other discussions What’s this all about improper writing?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 165 total)
  • Author
    Uncomplicating
    • Total posts: 731
    Allied, post: 110845 wrote:
    Sadly, I think our language will just keep declining until someone decides to place some importance on spelling and grammar as our children learn to read & write…. we might have to train the teachers up first to do this now.

Why “declining”? Language has always changed to suit the needs of those using it. Its purpose is to help us communicate with others in our tribe/social circle and I believe we’re doing that more than we ever have.

Our language is just evolving at an extremely rapid rate currently, and a failure to properly educate has meant that the rules aren’t being taught as those of us who were drilled with grammar would expect.

Still, that’s evolution I suppose.

On the subject of which, in my daughter’s first “scripture” class she was given a picture with the words, “Colour in your favourite of Gods creations.”

Bonus points and a special prize for anyone who can spot BOTH of the errors in that sentence.

Uncomplicating
    Allied, post: 110845 wrote:
    Sadly, I think our language will just keep declining until someone decides to place some importance on spelling and grammar as our children learn to read & write…. we might have to train the teachers up first to do this now.

Why “declining”? Language has always changed to suit the needs of those using it. Its purpose is to help us communicate with others in our tribe/social circle and I believe we’re doing that more than we ever have.

Our language is just evolving at an extremely rapid rate currently, and a failure to properly educate has meant that the rules aren’t being taught as those of us who were drilled with grammar would expect.

Still, that’s evolution I suppose.

On the subject of which, in my daughter’s first “scripture” class she was given a picture with the words, “Colour in your favourite of Gods creations.”

Bonus points and a special prize for anyone who can spot BOTH of the errors in that sentence.

EmbalmSkincare
    • Total posts: 459

NathanB, you’re dismissed!

OMG, I can’t even look at those made up words *lol*

EmbalmSkincare
    • Total posts: 459

NathanB, you’re dismissed!

OMG, I can’t even look at those made up words *lol*

Uncomplicating

I think if I see one more person spell “definitely” with an A, I’m going to have to go on a killing spree.

“Definately”?

Definitely not!

Uncomplicating

I think if I see one more person spell “definitely” with an A, I’m going to have to go on a killing spree.

“Definately”?

Definitely not!

Stuart B
    • Total posts: 1,073

Good grammar is the difference between knowing your sh*t, and knowing you’re sh*t… :p

Stuart B

Good grammar is the difference between knowing your sh*t, and knowing you’re sh*t… :p

Indo
    • Total posts: 59
    Uncomplicating, post: 110868 wrote:

1. “Gods creations” = possessive noun ergo should read “God’s creations”
    2. God doesn’t exist so he can’t have created anything

Indo
    • Total posts: 59
    Uncomplicating, post: 110868 wrote:

1. “Gods creations” = possessive noun ergo should read “God’s creations”
    2. God doesn’t exist so he can’t have created anything

Stuart B

Oh boy this is going to turn into a whole different kind of discussion.

Stuart B

Oh boy this is going to turn into a whole different kind of discussion.

Steve_Minshall
    • Total posts: 518

It is my understanding that the Australian language was formally ostracised from Standard English when the nation created the phrase ‘fair dinkum’ and saved the effort of dealing with multi-syllable nouns by cutting the word back to a single syllable and adding ‘o’.

Once this became acceptable I believe all rules of grammar became invalid.

Steve_Minshall
    • Total posts: 518

It is my understanding that the Australian language was formally ostracised from Standard English when the nation created the phrase ‘fair dinkum’ and saved the effort of dealing with multi-syllable nouns by cutting the word back to a single syllable and adding ‘o’.

Once this became acceptable I believe all rules of grammar became invalid.

NathanB
    • Total posts: 775

Dunno wat da big deal is. its juz words. ppl get way to agro ova da dumist stuff. Its you old ppl dat need to keep up2 date with da way of da world. All we doin is cuttin out a a couple a unnecessary letters we dont need no more which makes us type fasta on the iPhone.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 165 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.