Home – New Forums Selling online What’s wrong with Ebay?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Ruslan
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    ::

Hi guys, I was reading Flyingsolo for a while but it’s my first topic here.

I have been a soloist for 2.5 years now, selling my own products on Ebay and through my own website. Ebay used to be my main source of sales but now things are getting worse and worse. 2 years ago I was selling 20-30 products per day, last year – 10-20 and these days I am lucky to get 10 orders in one day. Over this time I increased the number of my items from a few hundreds to around 1,500, invested in equipment (I make my own products), hired freelancers etc but the sales are still decreasing.

Yes, I have a few new competitors trying to sell similar products dirty cheap. However I noticed Ebay also changed the way how it shows the results now. My products used to be on top with international sellers below. Now foreign sellers appear above me, making it extremely hard to see me and confusing for Aussie buyers. I did everything they wanted – 30 days returns, Express shipping etc to make me the top rated seller. Even paying up to 10% for Sponsored listings but nothing helps.
    Seriously, Ebay became a joke. Does anyone experience the same problems with them over the last 1-2 years?

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up
    Ruslan, post: 238927, member: 85707 wrote:
    Hi guys, I was reading Flyingsolo for a while but it’s my first topic here.

I have been a soloist for 2.5 years now, selling my own products on Ebay and through my own website. Ebay used to be my main source of sales but now things are getting worse and worse. 2 years ago I was selling 20-30 products per day, last year – 10-20 and these days I am lucky to get 10 orders in one day. Over this time I increased the number of my items from a few hundreds to around 1,500, invested in equipment (I make my own products), hired freelancers etc but the sales are still decreasing.

Yes, I have a few new competitors trying to sell similar products dirty cheap. However I noticed Ebay also changed the way how it shows the results now. My products used to be on top with international sellers below. Now foreign sellers appear above me, making it extremely hard to see me and confusing for Aussie buyers. I did everything they wanted – 30 days returns, Express shipping etc to make me the top rated seller. Even paying up to 10% for Sponsored listings but nothing helps.
    Seriously, Ebay became a joke. Does anyone experience the same problems with them over the last 1-2 years?
    Hi Ruslan and welcome to the Flying Solo Forums.

I am sure you are not the only one to experience the issues you are having.

I had a friend who was a Top 10 Seller on Ebay and his strategy was to collect an email address for each purchase and email his customers with promotions from time to time. The effect was to promote his website where he was not subject to the same constraints at Ebay.

I am not sure if that would help you, but it is worth considering.

Cheers and once again, welcome.

John Debrincat
    • Total posts: 963
    Up

Hi [USER=85707]@Ruslan[/USER] you should ask to join the Facebook eBay group – https://www.facebook.com/groups/ebaysellersau/. It is a closed group just for eBay sellers and you can get some great advice on issues there.

John

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    Ruslan, post: 238927, member: 85707 wrote:
    Yes, I have a few new competitors trying to sell similar products dirty cheap.

Just wondering if you have answered your own question. Is it Ebay that’s the problem, or that you now have competition, who are selling cheaper.

I suspect even if you appeared number one on the list, people will still migrate to the cheaper product.

Just my opinion, but most people go cheap.

Ruslan
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Paul, you are right – I am trying to bring my Ebay customers to my online store by sending coupons with each parcel,connecting Seller’s Paypal account with Mailchimp etc. but it will take some time. Just wondering how much time I have after sale to contact my customers legally, asking if the want to join my mailing list? I heard – only 3 months, is it right?

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up
    Ruslan, post: 238981, member: 85707 wrote:
    Paul, you are right – I am trying to bring my Ebay customers to my online store by sending coupons with each parcel,connecting Seller’s Paypal account with Mailchimp etc. but it will take some time. Just wondering how much time I have after sale to contact my customers legally, asking if the want to join my mailing list? I heard – only 3 months, is it right?
    Hi Ruslan,

Unfortunately, I have no idea what the Ebay rules are and am not in contact with my friend anymore so I can not check in with him.

You are on the right track in finding out what the rules are though because getting Ebay offside could have catastrophic consequences.

Cheers

James
    • Total posts: 11
    Up

Yes, it seems to many of us finding the same issue, less sales as time passes.

Greenlife
    • Total posts: 21
    Up

It’s interesting to see this as I have only this week closed my own Ebay store, which was running in parallel with my online store.
    Sales from Ebay had previously been small but steady, around $1-$2k per month pretty reliably, however over the last 6-12 months this had died down to a trickle, and I was starting to get overseas customers that were not paying and/or being very difficult to deal with. After a while I thought “Why am I even bothering with this?”

The general consensus among many blogs etc is that Ebay is going down the toilet, and they only have themselves to blame. Many small to medium players that largely made Ebay what it is now feel left out and have not been rewarded for their efforts.

heftzwecke
    • Total posts: 213
    Up

What you are doing is probably against the ebay rules, but everybody is doing that. I sell on ebay too, and I price everything on ebay higher because of the fees. The problem with ebay is that you can’t really build a brand and they can change their policies every day and then you’re done.

YVTruffles
    Participant
    • Total posts: 5
    Up

A couple of times I’ve purchased something from eBay, to promptly receive marketing for a similar product from a “non-related” store, the ebay mail address is unique. Although likely the same proprietors, this smelled like selling my email address and I reported it to eBay each time.
    If I buy something from eBay, I submit a review and that’s the end of the relationship. If they want to include a leaflet in the parcel, fine, I only see it once. To start spamming me via email weekly from a non-related address will see a custom filter added to my email that will bounce emails and get them tagged as a spammer with their email provider.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    YVTruffles, post: 247410, member: 97282 wrote:
    A couple of times I’ve purchased something from eBay, to promptly receive marketing for a similar product from a “non-related” store, the ebay mail address is unique. Although likely the same proprietors, this smelled like selling my email address and I reported it to eBay each time.
    If I buy something from eBay, I submit a review and that’s the end of the relationship. If they want to include a leaflet in the parcel, fine, I only see it once. To start spamming me via email weekly from a non-related address will see a custom filter added to my email that will bounce emails and get them tagged as a spammer with their email provider.

That’s not just Ebay that does that, I ordered a pizza online the other night, and before the pizza arrived we had junk mail from an airline via that pizza store.

Alan Maddick
    • Total posts: 410
    Up

I think the online market place is getting a bit more competitive with gumtree and facebook now pretty active too – also consumers are very smart at shopping on ebay… I have bought small items this week 3 times on ebay – each time it would have taken me 20-30 seconds to select what I wanted & buy, I chose the cheapest item, shipping from Aus that I liked the look of..a couple of years ago I would have taken half an hour browsing.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.