Home – New Forums Get productive What’s your #1 barrier to engaging in PD?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    LauraFisher
    • Total posts: 115
    Up
    ::

hi guys/gals,

I’d love to know what your main barrier is to engaging in professional development?

Thanks a mil!

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up

Hi

Personally, although i do engage in professional development through various methods, the most common ‘excuse’ for not pursuing it more regularly would be:
    a. Cost
    b. Identifying bang for buck
    c. Simplicity of accessing it
    d. Awareness of it
    e. TIME…

Hope that helps

Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up

+1 for Jason’s answer but I also have a more insidious reason. Everything else always seems to be my priority except for PD.

And sort of related to the above. I don’t seem to have enough time to implement the things I already know so learning more may just seem like a waste.

Donna Klajman
    • Total posts: 22
    Up

To me, it’s self-discipline and laziness. Strategic Procrastinating haha (Thanks, Kelly Exeter).

shart
    • Total posts: 36
    Up

Hi there,

I think the big threes are Cost, Time and Motivation. Even if one of these components are missing its hard to go through.

Hope this helps.

Hunter Sinclair
    • Total posts: 24
    Up

Mine is knowing what’s of real value and what’s not. There’s been a proliferation of certifications, courses and of course people only too willing to teach. But out of hundreds of choices which one is actually going to make the greatest difference? If any.

talart
    • Total posts: 68
    Up

As with the above for me it is time, cost and desire to do so.

Self employed and admittedly experienced as time has passed I have done ‘professional’ development in the past when I was learning my trades. Today PD is something that my time is far better spent on business operation. I cannot see a definite return for money spent, never tell me PD it is an investment, that is an intangible assertion. I develop my various skills when I have time. In general I see the value of professional development course’s a a “furphy”

Johny
    • Total posts: 840
    Up

I cannot see a definite return for money spent, never tell me PD it is an investment, that is an intangible assertion

That’s an interesting comment, and one I mostly agree with, not entirely, but mostly. I say this more as an “experience” guy rather than a “theory” guy. That’s not to say I don’t take on board what I read and hear simply, because the world is changing and quite often what I thought I knew either wasn’t right or has changed.

I do find however there are great many who sell their services based on intangible benefits, especially as we go further into the internet age.

heftzwecke
    • Total posts: 213
    Up

Money, time and that I didn’t see anything suitable so far.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.