Home – New Forums Marketing mastery What’s your answer to “What do you do?”

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 82 total)
  • Author
    MarketingHQ
    • Total posts: 142
    Up
    ::
    flower-child, post: 55144 wrote:
    gah, I suck at this stuff. My boring old answer is usually “I own a baby shop” then I quip, so when you get sick of yours, bring it in and swap it over.

help!!!!

Hi Flowerchild,

Just need some clarity as I’ve just looked at your website. Are all of your baby products environmentally friendly? Is that your point of differentiation?. You say in your header “where we think a sustainable lifestyle should be promoted from birth”, so is that what this means? I just need to be clear before I give some ideas.

Let me know

Chris

SalenaKnight
    • Total posts: 604
    Up

Oh, ideas, thanks Chris!

Yes, all our items are either earth-friendly, handmade or made with natural/sustainable resources.

Our products encourage people to take a step back to a simpler life.

ooh, is that it???? *smiles*

great line of questioning!

MarketingHQ, post: 55511 wrote:
    Hi Flowerchild,

Just need some clarity as I’ve just looked at your website. Are all of your baby products environmentally friendly? Is that your point of differentiation?. You say in your header “where we think a sustainable lifestyle should be promoted from birth”, so is that what this means? I just need to be clear before I give some ideas.

Let me know

Chris

MarketingHQ
    Up

I think you might have something there flowerchild. Here’s one for you..

“we sell sustainable products for a sustainable life”

Thoughts?

Jen Wells
    • Total posts: 31
    Up
    MarketingHQ, post: 54559 wrote:
    Hi Jen,

Just had an idea re your mystery shopping business. What do you think of:

“We tell your business the customer service problems that customers don’t”

Thoughts?

Thanks for the input. Unfortunately businesses don’t want to know the negatives. Of course they get them in the reports we deliver, however we have beter luck selling our services as a positive; recognising and rewarding their staff members for doing the right thing; offering great service.

Although is saying that, if we used something like yours and followed it up with the statistics on poor service; it could have a great outcome.

I’d love to do a poll on it and see what other businesses think.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    Jen Wells, post: 69256 wrote:
    Thanks for the input. Unfortunately businesses don’t want to know the negatives. Of course they get them in the reports we deliver, however we have beter luck selling our services as a positive; recognising and rewarding their staff members for doing the right thing; offering great service.

Although is saying that, if we used something like yours and followed it up with the statistics on poor service; it could have a great outcome.

I’d love to do a poll on it and see what other businesses think.

Hi Jen,
    That’s a great idea. You could ask the question over in the http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/forums/community-reviews/ section of the site, and include info about your target market etc (as per the guidelines at the top of that section of the forum). I’d be interested to see what response you get too.

Good luck,
    Jayne

websitedesigner
    • Total posts: 917
    Up

This is a cool thread.

I haven’t had one before but I’m upgrading my site and doing a slight re-brand around:

“Web Circle makes it easy for business owners to connect with real customers online.”

Thoughts?

I’ve got the word easy in there because I offer services other than just web design (hosting, domains etc). I think clients find it easy to not have to go to multiple sources for ‘web stuff’. And I talk about ‘connecting with real customers’ because our focus is on engaging people – not necessarily on increasing web stats and I also want to focus on traffic generation and move away from focusing on our technical web development skills.

If you are going to make some suggestions other aspects to my business are are:

• I love small businesses
    • We have always used open source software like Joomla and WordPress (since before it was cool)
    • I love blogging and sharing what we have learnt
    • I left a good corporate job to pursue this because it bored me to death – sometimes I don’t mind mentioning that he he.
    • I’ve been going for almost 5 years which is more than many in my industry (obviously less than a lot as well but still something I want to focus on)
    • We are flexible, use open source, don’t hold source files, don’t lock clients into anything

All feedback is appreciated. I like the idea of having something funny but I’m not funny enough to think of it right now.

Dan

Anonymous
    Up

Hi Dan,

Not sure if this will help you refine this better, but from a non-techy person’s point of view, all that open source, joomla info you’ve mentioned is about the tools you use, not about the result that I as a small business owner would get from working with you. If you start mentioning that to me in your core marketing messages my eyes will glaze over and you will lose me.

But what I have seen of your work and commentary here on the forums, one aspect that you haven’t really mentioned here but that really sets you apart is that you are intrigued by and excel at exploring, tracking and measuring what works on websites (your own, your clients and completely unrelated sites), and rolling those findings out to whatever you’re working on next.

If you can incorporate that aspect of what you do into your marketing messages, my personal opinion is that you’d be on to a winner.

Sorry that it’s not funny, but hope my $0.02 gives you something to think about in any case.

Love your work!
    Jayne

DreamscanbeVisions
    • Total posts: 284
    Up

Not to be rude but I’d like to answer what I tell people (friends, etc).

Friends or Random People: “Hey what do you do”

Me: “I work at KFC” (& I do)

They look at me like….. :| haha but I’d rather that then tell them what I really do ;) Sometimes if they look at me like :||| Then….. I let them know I also go uni. It’s fun letting people think you’re a “nobody” but knowing deep down they have nooo idea.

It’s just fun lol

AgentMail
    • Total posts: 1,741
    Up
    websitedesigner, post: 76390 wrote:
    This is a cool thread.

I haven’t had one before but I’m upgrading my site and doing a slight re-brand around:

“Web Circle makes it easy for business owners to connect with real customers online.”

Thoughts?

I’ve got the word easy in there because I offer services other than just web design (hosting, domains etc). I think clients find it easy to not have to go to multiple sources for ‘web stuff’. And I talk about ‘connecting with real customers’ because our focus is on engaging people – not necessarily on increasing web stats and I also want to focus on traffic generation and move away from focusing on our technical web development skills.

If you are going to make some suggestions other aspects to my business are are:

• I love small businesses
    • We have always used open source software like Joomla and WordPress (since before it was cool)
    • I love blogging and sharing what we have learnt
    • I left a good corporate job to pursue this because it bored me to death – sometimes I don’t mind mentioning that he he.
    • I’ve been going for almost 5 years which is more than many in my industry (obviously less than a lot as well but still something I want to focus on)
    • We are flexible, use open source, don’t hold source files, don’t lock clients into anything

All feedback is appreciated. I like the idea of having something funny but I’m not funny enough to think of it right now.

Dan

What about “grow your inner circle, with Web Circle”

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

Unfortunately now a days if someone asks me what I do, I can honestly say “I do Nothing”

Some of you who have known me a while will probably think ‘thats not right’, but Im sorry to say that doing nothing has become a full time – time waster.
    I’m actually surpried just how time flies, when you do nothing, and how tired you become at the end of the day when you at last sit down to do nothing…again.
    Still doing nothing can be ……how can I say…….boring, which then leads to how one becomes.
    Doing Nothing is all consuming, I dont even get a chance to get onto my favourite forum, to voice my opinion which Im afraid to some would be boring.

So why dont you all come and join me and I think I should start a frachise called ‘NOTHING”

Anonymous
    Up

You could never be boring to us Burgo!

We miss you when you don’t find time to drop in, but of course, we also understand how busy life can get.

Thanks for your post today :)
    Jayne

Canex Graphic Designs
    • Total posts: 222
    Up

Hi all,

I can’t believe how long this thread has been going for!! :)

I may be creative with computers, colours, pictures and pretty things but I have a feeling that my answer to this question is kind of dull….

“What do you do?”

… “I own a graphic and web design business in Melbourne helping other small businesses around Australia get a professional look without having to pay city prices”.

Any suggestions?
    I’ll take them all onboard as I enjoy going to different networking events and am quite talkative in person (not one of those motor mouths though don’t worry!).

I have an accent so that is usually something people like to talk about…

Thanks in advance for any advice! :)

Cheers,
    Nelson

MarketingHQ
    Up
    Canex Graphic Designs, post: 76702 wrote:
    Hi all,

I can’t believe how long this thread has been going for!! :)

I may be creative with computers, colours, pictures and pretty things but I have a feeling that my answer to this question is kind of dull….

“What do you do?”

… “I own a graphic and web design business in Melbourne helping other small businesses around Australia get a professional look without having to pay city prices”.

Hi Nelson,

I share your surprise in how long this thread has lasted….I suppose it’s a reflection of how challenging it can be to find the answer to this simple question.

My recommendation to you would be to find something other than price to make you memorable. At the moment your answer tells me that you “build professional websites for a cheap price”. It’s not really that unique or memorable and won’t differentiate you from your competition. See if you can come up with a unique selling point that will set you apart from everyone else.

Without knowing your business, it’s hard to know what that might be but try and focus on a single benefit that your competitors don’t offer.

Good luck.

Chris

MarketingHQ
    Up
    websitedesigner, post: 76390 wrote:
    This is a cool thread.

Thoughts?

Hi Dan,

I think your on the right track but your response is a bit wordy. If I was you and was asked “What do you do”, I would shorten it “Web Circle helps small businesses connect with online customers” or an alternative is “Web Circle helps bring online customers to your business”.

Just to clarify, this isn’t supposed to be a tagline as that’s a whole different ball game, it’s a response to a question you may get asked at any networking forum. All you want to do is help the conversation to continue rather than it stopping dead by saying you are a “website developer”

Hope this helps.

Chris

AgentMail
    • Total posts: 1,741
    Up
    MarketingHQ, post: 76873 wrote:

Just to clarify, this isn’t supposed to be a tagline as that’s a whole different ball game, it’s a response to a question you may get asked at any networking forum. All you want to do is help the conversation to continue rather than it stopping dead by saying you are a “website developer”

Hope this helps.

Chris

Ahh, I think I was thinking more tagline. But since you are offering :) My answer to what you do can become wordy very quickly, but wonder if this is ok:
    “AgentMail provides an end to end mail service to assist businesses connect directly with their customers, efficiently and cost effectively”

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 82 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.