Home – New Forums Starting your journey Wheelie Bin Cleaning Business

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Siege
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are considering starting a wheelie bin cleaning business in our town. We both work in good jobs and would employ someone to do the cleaning run for us. There has never been a business of this type in our our town that we are aware of. We have a population of about 20 000. There would be some considerable start up costs, with purchasing a vehicle and automated cleaning machine.

We would love to hear from anyone that has some experience in this type of business that could give us an idea if this would be a viable business venture and things that we may need to consider.

Thanks.

Lucinda Lions
    • Total posts: 104
    Up

Hi Siege

A warm welcome to the Flying Solo forums!

While I don’t have experience in this area, I think it’s a unique idea that could take off, depending on your target market.

I hope you hear from someone in the industry, but if not (and additionally anyway) it would be a very good idea to do some market research in your area. What if no one wants to invest in bin cleaning because they can do it themselves? Or, you might find out that everyone is absolutely dying for this service so that they can stop wearing pegs on their noses and eight pairs of gloves.

This article might be of use: http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/marketing/business-marketing/business-planning-a-market-research-project

Hope that helps. Have fun!
    Lucinda :)

MissSassy
    • Total posts: 1,255
    Up

Hi and welcome, congratulations on the idea of starting a business.

There are many things for you to consider, here is a few:

If the area is small perhaps they are more likely to support your business if it is an owner operator?
    Have you done a survey about their wheelie bin habits?
    Given the outlay and then paying wages, how long, how many bins, before you break even and start making money?

Hope that helps

Siege
    Up

Thank you Lucinda Lions and MissSassy for your thoughts. I still do need to crunch the numbers but it will all come down to whether people will see the need for the service and whether they will utilise it. What is the best way to get a gauge of this?

Lucinda, I tried to click on your link to market research, but it came up with an error?

arrowwise
    • Total posts: 641
    Up

A good potential target is body corporates and strata managers both commercial and domestic. Tenants never want to do this stuff, and it’s a good vertical sale when you can get multiple ongoing clients out of one contract. In affluent areas of there are companies that simply take the bins out and put them back each week. I couldn’t believe such a service exists. There is a bin service to suit every type of customer!

Stuart B
    • Total posts: 1,070
    Up

They key i would imagine will be the perception of cost. If it’s too high people might just think “I’ll do it myself with a hose and some pine-o-kleen”

Dave Gillen – Former FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,566
    Up

Hi Siege,

Here is your market research (before you spend a cent on equipment) – visit 100 houses and ask them to sign up for your bin cleaning service. If you get customers, you’re in business. If not you can give it away or change the idea, i.e. different price, different customer (corporate vs residential), or whatever.

Every person who says no, you should ask them why (price, don’t care, don’t trust you, love doing themselves, kids do it, etc) – this will give you the feedback you need for the next attempt.

If you can get customers, no other market research matters.
    And if you can’t get customers, no other market research matters.

Good luck and let us know how you go. :)

Dave

Pacoland
    Up

Hi Siege,

I used to be a Commercial Property Manager, and I used to use a company called – “Binbath” which is based in WA.

They are really well known for commercial buildings in WA.

You might want to have a look at their website to get some more ideas.

Hope this helps.

Lucinda Lions
    • Total posts: 104
    Up
    Siege, post: 188434 wrote:
    Thank you Lucinda Lions and MissSassy for your thoughts. I still do need to crunch the numbers but it will all come down to whether people will see the need for the service and whether they will utilise it. What is the best way to get a gauge of this?

Lucinda, I tried to click on your link to market research, but it came up with an error?

Hi Siege, sorry about the link.

Hopefully this one works: http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/marketing/business-marketing/business-planning-a-market-research-project

Lucinda :)

iCatching Media
    • Total posts: 6
    Up

You would really need to run the numbers.

I know of bin cleaning service that does it for $20 as a one-off service. I don’t think this business would be viable in a population of 20,000 (so around 10,000 homes).

If you had regular maintenance packages it would significantly increase the chance of the business model working and being a viable business.

Maybe a fortnightly, monthly, 3 month service package for a set cost?

As mentioned, strata and commercial work is where the main target market would be with volume work.

Maybe you can do a joint venture with a local lawn mowing guy, pressure cleaning guy or even a local handyman service business to generate the leads.

Are you planning to take the bins out each week also or just dedicated bin cleaning service?

With the small population you may need to tie in other associated services to get people to “buy into” the main service that is being offered here.

Good luck if you proceed with the business!

Simon.

Bobbles
    • Total posts: 1
    Up

In my area home owners (mainly retired) do this service themselves , they take a lot of pride in their homes – you would only get their business if they were infirm. The next third are young families who couldn’t afford it and think a quick hose once a while is adequate and then there’s the renters who just don’t care ( generalisation but that’s the type of area) Maybe you could also approach real estate agents, they may only want an end if lease clean or they may want more but it’s another avenue to try especially if you have a high rental market in your area. Good luck, I think it’s a great idea but I couldn’t afford it!

Jimmy1
    • Total posts: 11
    Up

You might want to expand it to skips.

Most restaurants, hotels etc. have skips full of food waste emptied regularly and I don’t think they will be cleaning them themselves.

Chris H
    • Total posts: 111
    Up
    Siege, post: 188392 wrote:
    Hi everyone,

My husband and I are considering starting a wheelie bin cleaning business in our town. We both work in good jobs and would employ someone to do the cleaning run for us. There has never been a business of this type in our our town that we are aware of. We have a population of about 20 000. There would be some considerable start up costs, with purchasing a vehicle and automated cleaning machine.

We would love to hear from anyone that has some experience in this type of business that could give us an idea if this would be a viable business venture and things that we may need to consider.

Thanks.

Sounds like a pretty tough proposition.
    You have 20,000 perspective customers and a bit of setup cost.
    It would seem that you would need a high take-up rate and absolute minimum travelling between jobs to make it work.

Perhaps as others have suggested the key is branch out into commercial skips and perhaps other tasks that could be undertaken with the same equipment. If you were looking at high pressure washers, then perhaps there are some good synergies with graffiti removal or public toilet cleaning.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.