Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Where did you look?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    ShanDesign
    • Total posts: 67
    Up
    ::

Hi Everyone,

I am wondering if I could ask a quick market research question?

When you decided to get (or started to think about getting) a logo for your business, where did you look? What steps (if any) did you take to find out about what you need or where to go?

Thanks,

Shannon

themobilebillboardco
    • Total posts: 75
    Up

Go to a designer.

Just like how you’re starting a business – presumably to deliver a service/product better than others… designers are the same.

What i mean is – if you’re not creatively influenced (I personally don’t have a creative bone in my body) – let a professional help you.

There are some really cheap options to get the juices flowing – then you can refine it as you see fit.

Try searching this site.

http://fiverr.com/

ShanDesign
    Up

Hi themobilebillboardco,

Thanks for your post :)

I have quickly realised I should have been more specific. I am interested in finding out more on the research and thought process of business owners to get more of an insight into where I might find them in this stage.

I hope that makes sense!

Thanks again

CindyK
    • Total posts: 155
    Up

Hi,

Not sure if I am on the right track but…
    when I first went solo I was operating under my name (which I hated) while waiting for the Office of Fair Trading (who lost my name application…lol).

After I had come up with the name, I had an idea what it envisioned at the time, I went hunting online. I found a website that sold graphics, vectors etc for commercial use and browsed by category, shape etc.

I eventually found something I could work with. From there, after buying said image, I played around, modified it in shape, design, colour etc and came up with something I liked and that suited our mission. And yes, I checked the terms and conditions of use carefully.

Our next logo modification last year (yet to brand everything correctly) came from one of my staff who was working on graphic design. I loved her re-vamp of the existing logo.

But essentially my first stop was online graphics stores. I know many people would say everything looks the same etc, but its not that you buy and use an existing logo – its that you find what it is that you want your logo to look like and start playing around. Whether its shape, size, industry etc.

If I had had funds at the beginning, I would have likely sort out a seasoned designer, but since I began with zilch… then it was DIY all the way. If you have funds, then this step could still help to let your designer understand what you are looking for.

ShanDesign
    Up

Hi Cindy,

Thanks for your post.

I found it really helpful to read your process when looking for a logo and also your progression since. Possibly people looking for a logo re-design could be a good place to find people.

Thanks again,
    Shannon

al.giffard
    • Total posts: 97
    Up

Hi Shannon,

I’ve organised logos for a handful of new projects in the past and I’ve ended up in different places for different sorts of projects.

For a couple of websites I established that were simply ‘testing the market’, my main consideration was price. It was important the testing was done at minimal cost, and there was no long term branding involved, so I ended up focusing my attention on the cheapest options – mainly fiverr.

For most other start-up projects I’ve had involvement with, branding was a bit more important and there was a bit more scope in the budgets, but it was still important to keep costs quite low. With those restraints, and the need to keep all parties happy, I’ve opted for crowd-sourcing designs, or where I already had an idea of the sort of design I was after, freelance designers.

With freelance designers, the driving factors were the standard of their previous designs (and those who didn’t clearly provide a portfolio were overlooked) and reviews or testimonials (cross-matching testimonials with designs, where I could).

I haven’t yet gone for the more involved design pros, mainly because it hasn’t suited anything I’ve worked on yet. When I do, price won’t be as significant a driver, but a high quality portfolio of other work and great reviews will have a big influence.

Hope that’s helped!

Al.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.