Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Where do I even start…..

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    DaveT
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    ::

I have developed a brand name and logo and see it working well on shirts, caps, etc.
    I have tested it against a sample of the public, and it was met with positivity.
    Largely still in the development stage as far as a “business” is concerned, although I need some advice / guidance around IP and trademarks, registration of business name as well as whether I even need to register as a business, considering the relative low-level of earning capacity I anticipate, at least in the short term (I see this more as a hobby and a way to potentially earn a little bit of “beer money” rather than my primary source of income.
    I am not sure of the “order of operations” in respect to how this should be done – I assume register a trademark and logo first?
    I have undertaken a trademark search and there doesn’t look to be any issues of conflict there and was thinking of self-registering the trademark, although I am cautious due to the “great unknown”.
    Any pointers and / or advice?
    Cheers, Dave.

Rowan@quaotic
    Participant
    • Total posts: 712
    Up

I think we need more info. What is your actual business? Is it a t-shirt business? or a clothing line?

DaveT
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Thanks for the quick follow-up.
    I would be selling t-shirts, caps, etc branded with my logo.
    The shirts, etc themselves would not be designed by me (although as mentioned before, the name and logo is mine) and I would need to source them from a manufacturer.
    I hope I’ve given enough info.
    Cheers, Dave.

Rowan@quaotic
    Participant
    • Total posts: 712
    Up

Ok, the problem I see with your model is that there is no reason people would want an item of clothing branded with a business that they have never heard of.
    This works for companies like ‘Nike’ because they have built up their brand and consumers link the brand with high profile sports people who they might admire or want to emulate – and Nike spend millions of dollars in sponsorship to keep their brand in peoples thoughts. Customers see a benefit from wearing their brand. There is no such market for a start-up unless you have the money to sponsor well known people to wear your clothing.

In my mind you need to first market a product that people want, that just happens to carry your logo, and then build on the logo after.

elissa.doxey
    • Total posts: 145
    Up

Hi Dave,
    I’d advise looking it from the ATO’s point of view, to avoid any trouble. They don’t have a category for beer money (unfortunate, I know), but since you’re going to be making at least some sort of profit from sales, you’d at least need to register for an ABN. You can be exempt from gst if under $75k (from memory).
    Once you have an ABN it’s easier to arrange domain names, paypal, etc.

In terms of registering trademarks, etc, there’s some articles on this site which you should check out:
    3-things-you-should-know-about-business-names-company-names-and-trademarks
    5-benefits-of-registering-a-trademark

Cheers,
    Elissa

Lucy Kippist
    • Total posts: 230
    Up

Some great advice in those links you’ve shared Elissa, thanks!

Trendy Ideas
    • Total posts: 7
    Up

Any business has to have a value proposition statement. This is the primary reason, a buyer buys from a business. What is the value proposition of your business?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.