Home – New Forums Starting your journey Where do you look for new opportunities

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    AgentMail
    • Total posts: 1,741
    Up
    ::

Hi All,

I am always keeping an eye on the various business4sale websites etc., just in case anything pops up that spikes my interest.

I just wondered if there are other areas/sites etc. that people look at for new business opportunities etc.?

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

It is surprising just where opportunities do come from. There all around you just waiting for someone to spot them. They seem to wiz past in a second, then lost forever.

We have to learn to recognise opportunities, they don’t often announce themselves and can be quite elusive.

Listen when your having conversations with your clients, friends and business associates because often without realising it they offer opportunities unintentionally not realising what they have done.

However it does depend on what your looking for, something specific, something to complement what you already do, an add on line or service.

These opportunities often come by word of mouth, so listen carefully to what people say, because you could miss an opportunity.

I was lucky enough when I had one of my cleaning business to hear someone say a supplier was thinking of closing down. Some discrete enquiries let me obtain his entire sock for a song, and in so doing picked up a machine for a tenth of it wholesale price. An opportunity that saved me many thousands of dollars
    and also gave me a dealership opportunity, something I didn’t seek but an opportunity not to be missed.

Now Grasshopper opportunities are all around you, all you have to do is Stop and smell the roses and listen to what people are saying.

Then theres a thing called LUCK

AgentMail
    • Total posts: 1,741
    Up

Hi Burgo,

I hear you and definitely keep an ear close to the ground in all the areas you mentioned. I guess I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing a valuable online or offline resource, such as a magazine, website etc. (other than FS of course) that might expand my chances to over hear such opportunities :)

Jenny Spring
    • Total posts: 597
    Up
    AgentMail, post: 164234 wrote:
    Hi Burgo,

I hear you and definitely keep an ear close to the ground in all the areas you mentioned. I guess I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing a valuable online or offline resource, such as a magazine, website etc. (other than FS of course) that might expand my chances to over hear such opportunities :)

A great long lasting is built from the customer problem backwards.

The problem — in your case — is figuring out the problem ;)

Think about your expertise and your interests. Or consider what you would like solved in your world. What solution are you seeking for a problem that you have.

Then see who else has this same problem.

crawfordandy
    • Total posts: 25
    Up

Hi AgentMail. I have experienced the same issue in the past actually. Speaking to a number of friends and colleagues they have also experienced this. They might have great skills or experience or whatever but didn’t necessarily have the eureka moment of inspiration for the new business idea.

Taking the bull by the horns, I recently launched a new website to address exactly this issue.

The intention is that people can post ads / opportunities if they have a new business idea that they’d like to get off the ground but don’t necessarily have all of the skills and experience to make it happen.

Conversely, other users can search the ads that are already on there to find opportunities which they might be suited to.

Sort of like a hook-up site for entrepreneurs!

Does this sound like the sort of thing you mean?

You can check it out at http://www.yekkit.com.

Adam Claydon-Platt
    • Total posts: 63
    Up

I think you can find lots of opportunities within niches that you’re passionate about / interested in.

The more “leisure” time you spend consuming content about your hobbies and interests, the more of an authority you eventually become (often without realising it), and the better placed you are to recognise openings in the market if you actively look for them :)

I’m a firm believer that if you’re operating in markets that you’re passionate about, you will always find more opportunities.

The problem is not finding them, it’s choosing the few to pursue, and the many that are better ignored! ;) There are many ways to succeed, but if you’re not enjoying what you’re doing every day, what’s the point?

In turn, choosing the “right ideas” is, I think, a question of both passion, and viability… (but that’s a separate conversation haha) – hope this helps! and Happy Weekend!

An Awesome Life
    • Total posts: 1
    Up

After having my kids I was looking for opportunities to stay home and work. At the same time I was looking to study online. I ended up finding an online 12 month home study in personal development and it was absolutely the right thing at the right time. I absolutely loved the new path I had started and it excited me so much that I took on the business opportunity side of it. Once you start looking for opportunities it’s pretty easy to find something that resonates with you – you just have to be passionate about it and believe in it and you will have success. Of course you have to throw in that element of risk but for me, it was most definitely worth it. I love what I do and I get to be close to my family – I have the work/life balance I had been wanting for so long!

vanessa@legal123
    • Total posts: 20
    Up

I agree! Looking for opportunities to purchase a business just to ‘make a quick buck’ will never be as financially rewarding as ones that you create yourself because you are interested and passionate about it.

The best new business ideas are always those that come from you wishing someone had created it so you didn’t have to ‘do it, make it, find it’-like the guys who went on a bucks night and wanted to share their videos and created YouTube. Or the Dyson man who was tired of vacuums that lost their suction power.

Rather than try to buy someone else’s idea and business, you may find you are better off trying to think of something you are missing/would want/would buy but can create yourself. And ask your friends and family what they would happily pay money for but cannot find.

You may be surprised at the number of others that feel the same and would happily buy one too……..

Joe @ Clik Clik
    • Total posts: 20
    Up
    AgentMail, post: 163940 wrote:
    Hi All,

I am always keeping an eye on the various business4sale websites etc., just in case anything pops up that spikes my interest.

I just wondered if there are other areas/sites etc. that people look at for new business opportunities etc.?

Similar to what other people have said here, I think you need to listen to yourself and other people. If you hear someone complaining about how frustrating a service is, then there is possibly a business there. I usually think it is better that you build businesses around what you find frustrating to use or when you wish there was something that made X thing better. If you create something that you think is going to improve the world slightly then you will be more passionate about it and I believe that will come through to your customers.

Hope this helps.

DANKS
    • Total posts: 134
    Up

International Trade shows and finding top 10 hottest new products.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.