Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Where do your website visitors come from – website traffic

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    websitedesigner
    • Total posts: 917
    Up
    ::

Hi guys I’ve turned my attention to traffic this month as part of the SEO program I am working on. What I am doing is putting together a video that will help small business owners understand website traffic and give some ideas on how to implement a simple traffic strategy.

What I would like to know is where do your website visitors come from? If you have Google Analytics or AWStats (part of cPanel) you will have access to a referrers section which tells you where people are coming from.

I’m interested in the breakup of search engine / direct and referring sites and also interested in specific sites that bring you traffic (or if you don’t want to say the specific sites, maybe whether they are forums or partner sites etc).

When I’ve finished the first video I will post a link back here. I’ve outlined some traffic stats from my site http://awebsitedesigner.com.au to kick things off. These are for the current incomplete month.

Breakup

Search engines (pretty much all Google) 62%
    Referring sites 19%
    Direct 17%
    Other 2%

Top referrers

Google 60%
    Direct 16%
    Flying Solo 4%
    Web Circle 3% (Web Circle is my main company site)
    Mailing list 2%
    Twitter 1%
    RSS feed 1%
    webdevelopmentbrisbane.com.au 1% (another blog of mine)
    Bing 1%
    weblogstoolscollection.com 1% (a guest post I did)

Thanks guys

Dan

OneArmedGraphics
    • Total posts: 314
    Up

Dan,
    creativity blog
    (no longer actively publishing content)

18.56% Direct Traffic

25.75% Referring Sites

55.69% Search Engines

Search Engines
    93.00 (55.69%)
    Referring Sites
    43.00 (25.75%)
    Direct Traffic
    31.00 (18.56%)

OneArmedGraphics

18.79% Direct Traffic

13.42% Referring Sites

67.79% Search Engines

Search Engines
    101.00 (67.79%)
    Direct Traffic
    28.00 (18.79%)
    Referring Sites
    20.00 (13.42%)

Top Traffic Sources
    Sources
    Visits
    % visits
    google (organic)
    98 65.77%
    (direct) ((none))
    28 18.79%
    flyingsolo.com.au (referral)
    2 1.34%
    google.ca (referral)
    2 1.34%
    google.com.tr (referral)
    2 1.34%

Note these are both low traffic sites!

trixxta
    • Total posts: 24
    Up

Hi Dan,

Very interested to see your video! I am working on traffic generation strategies for my new news site http://www.sydneyvoice.com and am very keen on finding ways of getting people to have a look at it. I am promoting it fairly heavily in my facebook network which seems to have generated most of the traffic to the site so far. Forum posting such as this on different community forums seems to be getting me a bit of traffic as well but I get the feeling I need to be thinking bigger. Any ideas appreciated.

http://www.sydneyvoice.com

46.81% Direct Traffic

44.13% Referring Sites

6.25% Search Engines

(direct) 46.81%
    facebook.com 15.31%
    flyingsolo.com.au 6.63%
    google 5.74%
    boards.ign.com 2.81%

Bappymills
    • Total posts: 63
    Up

Here are mine for Voucher Deals

56.10% Search Engines

31.45% Direct

12.45% Referring

Top Referrers:

Flying Solo – 4.53%
    Facebook – 2.14%
    Google – 1.89%

SalenaKnight
    • Total posts: 604
    Up

for flower child

Visits

% visits
    google (organic) 56.85%
    (direct) ((none)) 10.26%
    google (cpc) 7.93%
    facebook.com (referral) 4.75%
    us2.campaign-archive2.com (referral) 2.49%

Tony Pfitzner
    • Total posts: 213
    Up
    trixxta, post: 86663 wrote:
    … I am working on traffic generation strategies for my new news site http://www.sydneyvoice.com and am very keen on finding ways of getting people to have a look at it. I am promoting it fairly heavily in my facebook network which seems to have generated most of the traffic to the site so far. Forum posting such as this on different community forums seems to be getting me a bit of traffic as well but I get the feeling I need to be thinking bigger. Any ideas appreciated.

Just my two cents worth – but a couple of points..

I think that you need to have more content related to Sydney – rather than covering the whole world. It is fine to have stories from around the world, but only if they are really interesting or unusual. i.e. Your domain name is at odds with what you are promising in your signature.

If you want an example – probably the best in the world – of news aggregation then take a look at The Huffington Post. (You’ve probably seen this.)

The Huffingtonpost site became famous by aggregating news and providing content from well known contributors.

Also I would do some research – use Google’s free keyword tool – on which keywords people use when looking for news in sydney or nsw, and develop an SEO strategy around that.

bridiej
    • Total posts: 1,097
    Up

Here are my figures for July:

36.48% google
    5.7% twitter
    4.77% virtualassistantforums
    2.8% google cpc (LinkedIn and Google+ are about the same)

profitclicks
    • Total posts: 160
    Up

AgentLocal.com.au

The majority of my traffic is coming from organic searches:

80% search engines
    10% direct
    8% referred
    2% other

Besides this forum, I am getting a lot of stumbleupon traffic :)

trixxta
    • Total posts: 24
    Up

Thanks Tony – good advice.

Fair points on the lack of local content – you are right in that I probably need a bit more of a unique offering to attract seo goodness and local traffic. I definitely want a very broad site that is international in outlook but also with a local sydney flavour – probably need to work a tad more on the local side.

Cheers for the feedback

Steve_Minshall
    • Total posts: 518
    Up

http://www.shop1auto.com.au

organic google: 57%
    CPC:19%
    direct:11%
    bing:3%
    185 other sources (including many global google derivatives): 10%

I am not sure what this tells though because if you asked 2 years when the site had a lot less content the organic and cpc values would have been reversed.

missile
    • Total posts: 32
    Up

Most of our traffic comes from google where people are searching for specific takeaway menus or for their suburb.

The site is http://www.grubfinder.com.au

Last night we had
    94.75% Search Engines (1660)
    3.14% Direct Traffic (55)
    2.11 % Referring sites (37)

The sites this month where visits came from – in order
    Google
    Bing
    Facebook
    Yahoo
    Restaurant sites that link to us
    Search
    Ask
    AOL
    Twitter
    womow.com.au
    sensis.com.au
    BestSearchGroup.com
    pomsinAdelaide.com
    allcanfind.com
    bestlistsite.net
    comm.com.au
    FlyingSolo.com.au
    freehomefind.com
    greatlistonline.com
    smartscreen.live.com
    optuszoo.com.au
    superlistsite.com
    thelistrated.net
    4loot.com
    allsafelist.com

I have no idea what some of these sites are.

What surprised me was that even if people know our name and url, most seem to google GrubFinder rather than go direct to the url. Some even google http://www.grubfinder.com.au or the restaurant name + grub

Captain Simmo
    • Total posts: 110
    Up
    missile, post: 86926 wrote:
    Most of our traffic comes from google where people are searching for specific takeaway menus or for their suburb.

What surprised me was that even if people know our name and url, most seem to google GrubFinder rather than go direct to the url. Some even google http://www.grubfinder.com.au or the restaurant name + grub

I always Google a business name and never go direct via url. So it doesn’t surprise me much.

Unfortunately, for the majority of “offline” businesses who spend there advertising budget with a combination of online and also offline media think GOOGLE has generated the actual lead.

It’s great to see that you have taken the inititive to get the breakdown of who types what into google and from other online providers etc to get these statistics…

What shocks me is knowing… business owners don’t know this info and assume GOOGLE is KING as they are getting traffic and that traditional advertising doesn’t work.

With your business being a dedicated online business it make complete sense to focus primarily on google etc… I do wonder why people are typing in your exact url on google who have “probably” been on your site prior aren’t saving your site in there favourite’s bar when they visit first time around for future reference?

Just a thought.

Simmo.

JaneB
    • Total posts: 324
    Up
    Captain Simmo, post: 86940 wrote:
    I do wonder why people are typing in your exact url on google who have “probably” been on your site prior aren’t saving your site in there favourite’s bar when they visit first time around for future reference?

Just a thought.

Simmo.

If they are like me they keep bookmarking favourites and are too lazy in the moment to organise it into folders………..and…………so we end up with a thousand favourites.

Faster to google it again. I didn’t realise google gets all the credit. That’s interesting.

missile
    • Total posts: 32
    Up

I keep a spreadsheet of my traffic each day.
    If someone enters part of our name in their search I actually count it as direct traffic rather than search engine generated. I figure they mean to come to us and they haven’t randomly chosen our link.
    I hope that if the direct traffic is increasing – even if it is via google, then people have heard about us via word of mouth, or visited before. All good!

OneArmedGraphics
    • Total posts: 314
    Up

I’ve twice spoken on phone to people trying to guide them to specific sites and realized they genuinely thought Google was the ‘address bar’, having no idea there was any other way to get to a site.

..perhaps of note, they were both Dr’s secretary’s. hmm :)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.