Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Where do your website visitors come from – website traffic

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    The Copy Chick
    • Total posts: 963
    Up
    ::
    websitedesigner, post: 86661 wrote:
    What I would like to know is where do your website visitors come from?

Thanks guys

Dan

Figures are for this financial year

Breakup

1. (direct) 28.70%
    2. google / organic 26.54%
    3. flyingsolo.com.au 14.51%
    4. twitter.com 8.33%
    5. facebook.com 6.17%

Top referrers

1. flyingsolo.com.au 33.10%
    2. twitter.com 19.01%
    3. facebook.com 14.08%
    4. magicdust.com.au 7.75%
    5. mybrc.myobnet.com 5.63%
    6. plus.google.com 4.93%
    7. internetmarketingadelaide.com 4.23%

Clearly my social media channels are working for me – and Flying Solo – wow! Thanks everyone :D

websitedesigner
    • Total posts: 917
    Up

Hi all, thanks heaps for these posts, these are all great.

With the discussion about people ‘Googling’ your business name, that’s definitely fair, I do that myself – less room for error. I guess the overall % stats will be sways if this is a big portion of your searches but you can easily find this out by looking at the keyword report and look at what people are searching for. For http://awebsitedesigner.com.au there are 17 product / service related keywords that bring more traffic than ‘A Website Designer” so I know it’s not the case for that one.

Bridie, what’ going on with your stats? Are the remaining ones direct visitors? They add up to under 50%? 5.7% through Twitter is fairly high I reckon especially when you are doing paid campaigns which are delivering less (I guess it is a fairly low budget?)

websitedesigner
    Up

Hi guys just letting you know, I have uploaded my website traffic post to my blog.

It turned out to be 3 videos and one PDF download.

I’m interested in feedback so let me know what you think. Here is the link

Website traffic for small business (3 part video series)

I hope people find it useful.

Dave.Goralski
    • Total posts: 56
    Up
    missile, post: 86926 wrote:
    Most of our traffic comes from google where people are searching for specific takeaway menus or for their suburb.

The site is http://www.grubfinder.com.au

Last night we had
    94.75% Search Engines (1660)
    3.14% Direct Traffic (55)
    2.11 % Referring sites (37)

The sites this month where visits came from – in order
    Google
    Bing
    Facebook
    Yahoo
    Restaurant sites that link to us
    Search
    Ask
    AOL
    Twitter
    womow.com.au
    sensis.com.au
    BestSearchGroup.com
    pomsinAdelaide.com
    allcanfind.com
    bestlistsite.net
    comm.com.au
    FlyingSolo.com.au
    freehomefind.com
    greatlistonline.com
    smartscreen.live.com
    optuszoo.com.au
    superlistsite.com
    thelistrated.net
    4loot.com
    allsafelist.com

I have no idea what some of these sites are.

What surprised me was that even if people know our name and url, most seem to google GrubFinder rather than go direct to the url. Some even google http://www.grubfinder.com.au or the restaurant name + grub

Sorry about being off topic but the first thing I wanted when I went to your site was not to have to type into my iPhone my location

That got me thinking how cool it would be if website could access my gps so I googled it and this came up

http://www.thecssninja.com/demo/gps_browser/

Dave

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

Hi Dan,
    You referenced two totally different traffic reporting programs. You cannot compare them.

You can’t even compare the old and new Google Analytics tracking programs as they will generate very different results.

I’ve seen different traffic programs installed on the same site that reported a four-fold difference in visitors or page visits.

You are receiving feed back from people and you don’t even know what traffic reporting program they are using. In this situation, I can’t see any relevant information you could possibly glean from this post.

Regs,
    JohnW

websitedesigner
    Up

Hi John, I’m not sure what you mean by any of that? 2 reporting programs?

The intention of this post is not to compare traffic numbers it’s about breakup and overall sources so the program probably doesn’t matter too much although I’m assuming most people are using google analytics.

missile
    • Total posts: 32
    Up
    Dave.Goralski, post: 87235 wrote:
    Sorry about being off topic but the first thing I wanted when I went to your site was not to have to type into my iPhone my location

That got me thinking how cool it would be if website could access my gps so I googled it and this came up

http://www.thecssninja.com/demo/gps_browser/

Dave

Thanks Dave. Will check it out. I hadn’t realised it was possible. I thought we would have to wait until we did an app. Might need to make it an option though as we have lots of people using phones to look up menus on their way home from work. So their current location won’t match where they want to look up.

JohnW
    Up
    websitedesigner, post: 87267 wrote:
    I’m not sure what you mean by any of that? 2 reporting programs?
    Hi Ben,
    You introduced the “2 reporting programs” when you started this thread:

See 2nd para, 2nd sentence: “If you have Google Analytics or AWStats (part of cPanel)”

You are offering online marketing services and you did not understand my comments about the difficulty in comparing different traffic programs?

Haven’t you had clients ask why their AWStats figures are much higher than their Analytics reports?

Haven’t they asked you why there are Google referrals in their Analytics “other referring site” report?

I just watched your videos. I didn’t see how the numbers reported here were used at all. So it seems you were correct not to be concerned about them.

JohnW

websitedesigner
    Up

As I mentioned I haven’t asked people to report numbers I am talking about percentages. This thread isn’t about benchmarking, and it’s got nothing to do with me offering online marketing services.

It’s a discussion about the major traffic sources and the breakup of those sources so I can’t see how the program is relevant.

In terms of the videos, I never had any intention of using people’s traffic numbers in these videos so I’m not sure why you would have been expecting to see that.

JohnW
    Up
    websitedesigner, post: 87326 wrote:
    It’s a discussion about the major traffic sources and the breakup of those sources so I can’t see how the program is relevant.
    Hi Dan,
    You also asked us to review your video page about your traffic building plan.

If someone starts tracking their plan with AWStats and then switches over to Google Analytics they are likely to see a huge drop in reported traffic and changes in the apparent sources of the traffic.

You don’t think apparent anomalies like these are relevant to the discussion of a traffic building plan?

Recent reports suggest Google Analytics is installed on around 50% of websites and I certainly see many using other reporting programs. So, I don’t think this will be an unusual situation.

JohnW

websitedesigner
    Up

Yeah I guess it’s important that people know that if they don’t already. I think I did say in the videos that we suggest Analytics (pretty much everyone else seems to as well) but I certainly wouldn’t suggest changing the reporting tool half way through a campaign.

I think most people would expect that if they change the measurement tool halfway through then they’d get inconsistent results.

I don’t know, what do other people think? Maybe I should address that issue specifically.

JohnW
    Up
    websitedesigner, post: 87339 wrote:
    Yeah I guess it’s important that people know that if they don’t already…

I think most people would expect that if they change the measurement tool halfway through then they’d get inconsistent results.

I don’t know, what do other people think? Maybe I should address that issue specifically.
    Hi Dan,
    Easy questions.

When you point out to a site owner that they have 2 different traffic reports installed, without exception, I’ve always had to explain why the results are different. The usual site owner response is “which ones do I believe”?

Most business owners/managers and their staff have no idea about traffic reports. Often they don’t even know if they are installed and they rarely look at them.

Few have any idea what reports are important and as many have any idea about their interpretation and value.

People still don’t really know what “hits” measures.

They don’t understand visitors and unique visits.

I’ve had people ask me if the Analytics keyword report is the number of times people used the phrases in search engines.

They don’t know that Google makes the Adword traffic stats report a larger number of referrals than it does for the generic SE referrals.

They don’t know that traffic to certain file types are not reported by Analytics.

And the list goes on and on…

I can’t blame the business owners. Until the advent of Analytics, most web hosting companies configured traffic reports to give the most basic info. The traffic programs were also often limited in their reporting capabilities. Unless it’s changed or I’m mistaken, AWStats won’t report more than the top 1,000 keywords used. Not much use if you have a client whose site runs to over 30,000 unique keywords.

I had some Analytics reports sent to me last week by the in-house webmaster of a national consumer goods company.

The summary reports said the site had 6,000 visitors for the month but the keyword report said there had been 40,000 SE referrals.

Yes, there was a major stuff up in the Analytics configuration but that had been going on since last November and apparently not been detected.

JohnW

Allied
    • Total posts: 96
    Up

Most of our traffic is Google organic search.

Google organic 64%
    Googgle CPC 10%
    Direct 10%
    Referred from our other domain 6%
    Bing 6%
    Other 10%

NickHumphries
    • Total posts: 418
    Up

It seems that in this forum, everyone gets most of their hits from google. Getting referrals from other sites is difficult, does anyone have any ideas how to get other sites to refer you?

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.