Home Forums Marketing mastery Where to allocate money

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Davejochow
    • Total posts: 38

Hi,
    I am an lighting/event decorator. Anyway I have a question about where to allocate my limited amount of money at the moment. I have thought about SEO but because my website is pretty low ranking, I have been told that it could take months to get any results, and 1000’s of dollars.And I am pretty impatient, besides, if it did take months , how would I know if it was the Seo’s doing and not my effort? But I still feel that SEO is really important if good quality. Then I hear people say how important content is so Im thinking about hiring a content writer instead. Thirdly I thought about placing an ad on some online magazines/blogs, but I dont know if that would make a difference as I know when I want something I go straight to google.
    Lastly I have two websites, one is wordpress the other wix. I did wix first, but because wix is bagged out all the time, I decided to build a wordpress site. I installed a plugin SEO for wordpress believing it would be superior to wix, but wix is kicking wordpress’s butt in terms of my search position, and Im getting twice as many inquires. So should I just stick with wix?

Thanks
    Joanne

Jenny Spring
    • Total posts: 597
    Davejochow, post: 175040 wrote:
    Hi,
    I am an lighting/event decorator. Anyway I have a question about where to allocate my limited amount of money at the moment. I have thought about SEO but because my website is pretty low ranking, I have been told that it could take months to get any results, and 1000’s of dollars.And I am pretty impatient, besides, if it did take months , how would I know if it was the Seo’s doing and not my effort? But I still feel that SEO is really important if good quality. Then I hear people say how important content is so Im thinking about hiring a content writer instead. Thirdly I thought about placing an ad on some online magazines/blogs, but I dont know if that would make a difference as I know when I want something I go straight to google.
    Lastly I have two websites, one is wordpress the other wix. I did wix first, but because wix is bagged out all the time, I decided to build a wordpress site. I installed a plugin SEO for wordpress believing it would be superior to wix, but wix is kicking wordpress’s butt in terms of my search position, and Im getting twice as many inquires. So should I just stick with wix?

Thanks
    Joanne
    Hi Joanne

Maybe I can answer your question by using a real-world analogy. Imagine opening a shop and filling it full of nice products. But when someone walked into the store they couldn’t find anything, or the products weren’t suitable for them, or the pricing was wrong, or the service was rubbish, or …

Putting money into SEO before you make sure that your website is operating effectively, connecting with the ideal customer, got the kind of offers that customer would want (free shipping or refund policy or?) is like opening the shop door without making sure that the shop is working well.

Good content on your website, using SEO and persuasive writing skills, aimed at that ideal customer, will increase your rankings. Also it has long term benefits and isn’t short term.

Are you capturing email leads? Are you using these to increase your SEO by effective email campaigns that drive people back to your website?

You’ve raised more questions than I can answer because the answer is not — hire an SEO person. I recommend that the other elements are firmly in place first before you open the door and do SEO or run ads. In fact, you could run adwords or drive people from Facebook and it would be cheaper and more immediate than SEO. But again, if your websites aren’t well set up to convert, then you are throwing a lot of that money away.

I’ve got some free website tweaks 5 minute videos on my youtube site that might give you some easy ways of checking your website.

Also, do you want to share your websites and I’ll take a quick look?

Hope this helps.

Jenny

John Romaine
    • Total posts: 1,104
    Anyway I have a question about where to allocate my limited amount of money at the moment.

How limited is limited?

I have thought about SEO but because my website is pretty low ranking, I have been told that it could take months to get any results, and 1000’s of dollars.

That accuracy of this claim depends upon numerous highly conditional factors.

And I am pretty impatient

Online business cannot be rushed, unless you invest into paid traffic.

besides, if it did take months , how would I know if it was the Seo’s doing and not my effort?

I have no idea what you mean?

But I still feel that SEO is really important if good quality.

SEO is important, but like I always say, SEO is only one way (out of hundreds of ways) to get traffic to your site.

Then I hear people say how important content is

Content is essential. Without it, you’re wasting your time.

Im thinking about hiring a content writer instead.

Why on earth would you hire someone to write content for your business website?

No one knows your business better than you. Create your own content. Outsource the menial stuff.

Thirdly I thought about placing an ad on some online magazines/blogs, but I dont know if that would make a difference as I know when I want something I go straight to google.

Go where your audience is.

The reason Wix might be winning out is most likely that your WP site isn’t optimized (I cant say for sure without looking)

Joanne, I sit with clients like you all the time, and they’re absolutely lost and have no idea what to do. I would highly recommend you GET HELP and PAY FOR IT.

You will be wasting time and money otherwise.

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642

Hi Joanne,
    We don’t have much to go on here.

Back to basic marketing principles may be useful…

1. Who and where are your potential customers?
    2. What services do you want to promote to them?
    3. What do you need to communicate?
    4. How should you communicate?

It is only if you feel a website is part of your cost-effective information delivery program that we arrive at your questions.

Who are your target customers? It sounds like they are event organisers. Is your service based in one city?

Are you targeting a small number of people who you could identify relatively easily?

If so, you may not want to use SEs to deliver your information. Tele-marketing to obtain contact details supported by email marketing that sends potential customers to your webite may be more effective.

I don’t know whether these assumptions are correct or not, I’m using them as an example to show that SEs are not always integral to a business marketing communication program.

As to your specific question about the two websites, there are too many variables that are undisclosed to us here for anyone to provide any sort of informed answer.

Why don’t you post a link to each of them and ask for a review of their SEO values?

At the same time give us an idea of how old each website is.
    Regs,
    JohnW

PerfectNotes-Kathy
    • Total posts: 500

Hi Joanne,

Most of the important information is already listed above.

However, remember that it may be that your Wix site was indexed by Google earlier, so is more complete, so appears higher in search results. (Not sure of this, but you do say you did the Wix first). If both sites have the same content, this might be the reason for the difference.

But I must agree with the comment that content is king – if there is no content on your site, or the wrong content, then spending money on SEO or Adwords or anything to drive traffic to your site is wasted – because visitors will not find anything relevant and will leave your website.

HTH
    Kathy

Carl Taylor
    • Total posts: 7

There’s been some great answers here already.

As mentioned by JohnW it’s back to basic marketing fundamentals.

Know your ideal customer
    Market to your ideal customer where they hang out
    And make your marketing budget unlimited by knowing your numbers.

Understand your Allowable Acquisition Cost, ie. Can you afford to spend $5 per customer, $10 per customer or $100 per customer.

Marketing is the act of buying customers, if you spend $1000 and you get 10 customers you paid $100 per customer.

Your job is to know what your Allowable acquisition cost is, know how many people you have to get in front of, to get a certain number to raise their hand to say they might be a buyer, then how many of those convert into buyers.

If you know those numbers and know how much you can spend, then you can choose the right tactic. Most likely a direct marketing approach, not SEO

Hope that helps

Sydney Business
    • Total posts: 141

Hi Joanne

Marketing fundamentals yes and work out how you can do targeted but cost effective marketing too.

Get in front of your target market in the most cost effective way and measure the results.

Justin Laju
    • Total posts: 89
    Hi,

Thanks
    Joanne

Hi Joanne

Your website is a great way to generate leads, but I feel your question is broader than just SEO and the website – but about business generation in general.

Re SEO – if you are time poor – outsourcing is a good option.

If you are $ poor and time rich – then educate yourself and do your own SEO.

It isn’t rocket science!

Ascertain what differences there are in your content and on-page SEO details (between the 2 sites).

Make a regular reading discipline to increase you SEO understanding – and know that the trend for Google is toward content.

Get onto the google adwords planner tool – if you have not already identified your high traffic keywords – and know which phases are getting the best most relevant [exact] match search volumes. Base your target keywords around that, make regular blog posts that engage your market.

Get out there and provide useful relevant content to display what you can offer.

I’m presuming you’ve got a handle on the rudimentary levels of the above already – but develop it and be patient and consistent.

Beyond that – I’d assess your target market, who are they really?

Then get out and talk to them – if it is other businesses, contact them for a chat.

Divide your marketing into Incoming/passive (website, ads, sponsorship, forum presence, blog etc) & outbound/active (cold calling, door knocking).

I’d make it a combination of waiting for it to come via the incoming channels and going out there to create it via active channels.

Our current society can make small businesses isolated unless you have a big bank account – don’t accept that.

Get out there and put yourself infront of them, and put material out there where they are likely to look.

Innovate!

Adam Stanecki
    • Total posts: 131

(Great answers everyone. This place is awesome!)

Joanne,

You asked about where to spend your money.

My question to you is: what do you want to achieve?

This might not be as obvious as you initially think.

For example:

• Are you aiming to drive traffic to your website? If so, why?
    • Are you aiming to build your brand? If so, why?
    • Are you aiming to generate solid leads? If so, why?
    • Are you aiming to increase sales numbers? If so, why?
    • Are you aiming to increase the value of each sale? If so, why?

When you define what you are trying to achieve and why you are better placed to decide upon a suitable marketing strategy.

Best of luck, Adam.

Davejochow
    • Total posts: 38

Hello,
    Thanks all for making the time and effort to respond. I think I just got $200 worth of advice. I have decided to hire a content writer, just because I’m not articulate and no good at marketing. I’m fixing my website up now, so I will show you when it the better version so you can get a better idea of my business. My market is for engaged women in the Sydney area.

John Romaine
    • Total posts: 1,104
    Davejochow, post: 175683 wrote:
    I have decided to hire a content writer, just because I’m not articulate and no good at marketing.

What do you mean by writer?

Someone to write content, or a copywriter?

If you’re struggling to write your own content, sit down and write out the top 25 questions customers give you, then answer those by speaking into a note taker.

Transcribe.

Publish on site.

Format with images etc.

Done.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.