Home – New Forums Money matters Where to find info on grants for a not-for-profit venture

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Tom ISW
    • Total posts: 180
    Up
    ::

Hello all,

I’ve been looking around for information on grants. It seems like I’ve been looking in circles. Some sites point me to other sites that lead nowhere.

I’m quite new to all this, but basically I have an idea for an app that will help the disabled, particularly deaf people. I think there’s some commercial applicability, but the aim is to reduce costs. (I don’t want to give too much away…)

Is there somewhere I’ve overlooked, or perhaps someone who’s knowledgeable in this area I can talk to?

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi again Tom,

This government site is probably the best place to start: http://www.business.gov.au/grantfinder/grantfinder.aspx

Fingers crossed!
    Jayne

Bulletpoint
    • Total posts: 8
    Up

Sounds like the R&D Tax Incentive would be best for you.

Also keep an I on the new Entrepreneurs’ Infrastructure Program which was just announced in the budget.

Funding may also come up in the future through the NDIS.

Tom ISW
    Up

Cool! I never thought of my idea being applicable in these sorts of ways. I’m grateful for your fresh perspectives…I suppose I was running around in the dark of my mind, so to speak. I’ll check these out in due course.

You guys rock! I really appreciate it.

Luth6322
    • Total posts: 82
    Up

Hi Tom

Sounds like a great idea. A thought that you might not have considered is working directly with an already set up charity that may benefit from your app, and be able to assist in obtaining grant funding to have the app developed.

From my experience working in the not for profit sector, a lot of grants obtained are never advertised publicly, but rather submitted as a proposal by the not for profit, knowing that the given organisations have funds like this set aside. Think along the lines of sponsorship, but tied to a specific purpose.

If the app is intended to assist deaf people maybe you could start with pharmaceutical companies (you would be surprised the diversity of there activities), who might be interested in putting branding or being a partner in the development of the app.

Cheers

Carrie

Luth6322
    • Total posts: 82
    Up

Oh and I forgot to mention. Pro Bono Australia is a quite reliable source of information including grants that are available for not for profits.

http://www.probonoaustralia.com.au/news/grants#

Tom ISW
    Up

Hi Carrie,

Wow, I would never think of that in a million years. Those are some great ideas there. Thanks so much, I’ll check those leads out. You’re a font of knowledge :)

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

There’s a great FS article by Lucinda Lions that you might like here regarding Kickstart funding http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/working-smarter/innovation/crowdfunding-how-to-raise-cash

Tom ISW
    Up

Thanks for that, Karen!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.