Home – New Forums Logistics Where to get stock delivered?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    pollypolkadot
    • Total posts: 55
    Up
    ::

Hi there,

I used the search but I couldn’t find if anyone else had asked this question already- sorry if they have!

I am in the process of starting an e-commerce business, selling (generally) giftware and small homewears/kitchenware. I am currently researching how I can receive my stock, and I am unsure what to do.
    Starting out this will be a business run from home, not an office, so I will be storing and packaging all the orders myself. The issue I have is getting my stock there.

I will never be home during business hours when couriers deliver, as I still work my full time job, so I wanted to know if there is such a thing/service as somewhere where large/multiple boxes can be delivered? Like having a PO box, but able to be delivered to by all the different couriers, not just AusPost. I have heard about AusPost Parcel Collect and the new lockers they have, but I think they would have the same restrictions.

Friends have suggested:
    – telling couriers to leave packages somewhere secure
    – getting it delivered to my parents/friends house
    – getting it delivered to my day job

I don’t think any of those would be the best idea though, for several reasons, maybe for the first couple of weeks I could split it between work and parents, but any longer and it just wouldn’t work. Especially once I started to order larger volumes from numerous suppliers, with increasing frequency.

I am not interested in doing dropshipping, and I might consider 3PL but that wouldn’t be until I am established and able to make it worthwhile.

If anyone could give me any suggestions as to where I can get my mail delivered, that would be wonderful.

Thanks,
    Polly

Petemac
    • Total posts: 171
    Up

Hi Polly, the only companies that can deliver to a PO Box is Australia Post or AAE (owned by Australia Post).

To have left at your house you will have to give the courier company an authority to leave which means once left you take full responsility for the goods so you defintely need to have a spot where it is safe. If you don’t have this in place, then they are not able to leave and you may have to then pay a re delivery fee.

Work address is obvioulsy an easy option as there is someone available to sign at all times.

What suburb are you in as there may be another alternative based on what suburb you are located as there is a new service Toll have been working on?

Cheers

Pete

pollypolkadot
    Up
    Petemac, post: 185377 wrote:
    Hi Polly, the only companies that can deliver to a PO Box is Australia Post or AAE (owned by Australia Post).

To have left at your house you will have to give the courier company an authority to leave which means once left you take full responsility for the goods so you defintely need to have a spot where it is safe. If you don’t have this in place, then they are not able to leave and you may have to then pay a re delivery fee.

Work address is obvioulsy an easy option as there is someone available to sign at all times.

What suburb are you in as there may be another alternative based on what suburb you are located as there is a new service Toll have been working on?

Cheers

Pete

Hi Pete,

Thanks for your reply!

Yes, I know that only AusPost delivers to PO boxes (and to their other “secure” options), that is exactly the issue. As I said, I also do not want couriers to leave things at my home when I am not there- unwise! Getting things delivered to my work might be ok for a little while, but I don’t want to stretch the friendship.

Certainly interested in anything that isn’t one of those options!

What have Toll got up their sleeve? I am from Wollongong, hopefully not too regional for whatever they might be doing.

Polly

Simply Money Honey
    • Total posts: 78
    Up

Hi Polly

Have you looked at storing your goods at a self storage facility? This will increase your costs because you have to pay for storage but it makes deliveries really easy. The storage facility will accept and sign for all couriers on your behalf and leave them somewhere safe. It also works the other way when you are sending orders out you can pick and pack them all, order your couriers and leave them at the storage facility to be collected.

Just a thought.

Gabrielle

pollypolkadot
    Up

No, I hadn’t thought of that! That is a good idea! Less convenient than having it in my garage, but that might be something I can sacrifice. I will certainly be looking into self storage now.

Thank you very much!

Polly

Simply Money Honey
    • Total posts: 78
    Up

You’re welcome Polly. Happy to help.

Cheers

Gabrielle

Petemac
    • Total posts: 171
    Up

Hi Polly, I checked with Toll and the service they provide to alternative delivery locations (local newsagent) is restricted to only small parcels so wouldn’t suit. If I hear of any solutions to your problem will let you know

Cheers

Pete

pollypolkadot, post: 185379 wrote:
    Hi Pete,

Thanks for your reply!

Yes, I know that only AusPost delivers to PO boxes (and to their other “secure” options), that is exactly the issue. As I said, I also do not want couriers to leave things at my home when I am not there- unwise! Getting things delivered to my work might be ok for a little while, but I don’t want to stretch the friendship.

Certainly interested in anything that isn’t one of those options!

What have Toll got up their sleeve? I am from Wollongong, hopefully not too regional for whatever they might be doing.

Polly

pollypolkadot
    Up
    Petemac, post: 185712 wrote:
    Hi Polly, I checked with Toll and the service they provide to alternative delivery locations (local newsagent) is restricted to only small parcels so wouldn’t suit. If I hear of any solutions to your problem will let you know

Cheers

Pete

Thanks for looking into it Pete, very much appreciated.

Polly

pollypolkadot
    Up

Just in case any other people starting out might be interested, I thought I would follow up on this thread I started. I think I have found a solution, or at least I have found what could be a good alternative.

I discovered that my local area has a small business incubator, so I am considering renting a warehouse or office space there (instead of using my garage), so I will then be able to take advantage of all the services that go along with it. They collect AND send mail, sign for shipments, PO Box provided, as well as receptionist/secretarial duties!

Still not sure where I could get shipments delivered otherwise, but I think this will be better option anyway.

Polly

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.