Home – New Forums Selling online Where to go from here?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    4leafclovergifts
    • Total posts: 7
    Up
    ::

Hi. About a month ago I started an online business (through facebook) and have poured over a grand into advertising. There is alot of interest. Many friends have said how wonderful the products are and at such a great price. I have walked 57km’s delivering pamphlets, seen people carrying them at the supermarket. Lots of activity and likes on my facebook page. Even had a 20% off sale for a week. Problem….I have only sold one gift pack to a friend and that is all. I am beginning to wonder if the Four Leaf Clover is lucky at all…So I am wondering, does anyone know where I can go from here? Christmas will not be happening for my family this year if things dont pick up :-(.

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up

Perhaps if you gave us your website or facebook page details? Or at least some details of the products you are selling?

One month is not very long at all, so don’t stress just yet :)

Wendy :)

4leafclovergifts
    Up

My facebook page is http://www.facebook.com/FourLeafCloverQualityGifts.

A month is how long it has been open for. It was 6 months into the planning as well. All these people in my life saying they would buy these products, but now, come crunch time…are nowhere to be found. I am wondering if I should just shut it all down and forget about it and just accept that I am nothing more than a mum and housewife :-(

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up

One month is still not very long :)

Your facebook page looks good and active. Forget your friends who said they’d buy from you, they aren’t your market.

Who is your target market? I see you’ve handed out 5000 flyers – were they to your target market?

Wendy :)

Spider
    • Total posts: 95
    Up

My only advice is:

Get your products up on eBay.
    Get yourself a positive attitude, (this is the most determining factor).

And don’t rely on luck, results are based on actions.

4leafclovergifts
    Up

I live in a suburb that is a known breeding area. Every household seems to have at least 5 kids each. Pregnant women pushing prams around the streets and mothers groups meeting in the park are the picture of where I live. I delivered to my entire suburb, two nearby country towns, direct to kinders/schools and daycare centres, left pamphlets at the maternal health nurse office, the local ballet school, at the supermarket and in all the baby stores in the area. I have a nappy cake on display at the local florist and my business cards at the local chocolate shop. I have even stood out the front door of fountain gate and spent a whole Saterday handing brochures to mums entering and leaving. I have advertised on Ebay and on all the buy/swap/sell sites (as has my bestie in Perth)……nothing :-(. I am out of money and cant afford a website until this business starts paying for itself.

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up

Hi 4 Leaf Clove Gifts,

You can actually add a signature to your Flying Solo account (select control panel from the grey bar above the forum), so, your details & facebook page link can come up automatically in each post.

I agree with Wendy, don’t get disheartened just yet … 1 month is a short time to have been open for… In the mean time, I would suggest you include an email address in your ‘about’ information at your Facebook page. I for one, as a consumer, would be far more likely to email a supplier than phone so having an email address could be useful as a contact method. Perhaps also include a bit more info in the ‘about’ section about your business – what you make and what you sell? This saves people having to look all the way through your posts/page – they can then see at a glance the types of things you offer. I’m not any sort of SEO expert but I would imagine that having some product descriptions there can only be a good thing in terms of people finding you through searches etc.

Have you thought about getting a website – separate to the Facebook page? You can really boost your online presence with your own website and drive more customers to that website.

You mentioned you have spent over $1000 in advertising… what sort of advertising? (Obviously the pamphlets, but what else?) Knowing what you have already tried will help others make further suggestions of things you could try.

If facebook is to be your prime sales place, I would suggest becoming involved with as many pages that promote small business as possible; a number of pages have certain ‘days’ where they allow different businesses to promote themselves, and have a lot of followers… They could be a cheap effective way for you to gain more interest from people?

All the best with it :)

JacquiPryor
    Up

Hi Again,

I think we posted at the same time so you’ve answered some of the things I was suggesting :)

I’m not too far from Fountain Gate so know the area you are describing. When did you hand all these flyers out? It’s very possible that people are holding on to them until they need one of your products, which is not necessarily the very same day you gave them the pamphlet of course. So you might find over time business does come in from this marketing activity.

Your posts seem to suggests that the Nappy Cakes are your main product, and that ‘mums’ your target audience? But, your Facebook page shows a lot of other products that you have available to sell. Does your flyer/brochure/business card etc that you’ve left at other places list all the things you have available or just focus on the nappy cakes? Making sure that people know all of the products on offer (which then of course changes the audience you can target) could help?

Just my 2c and wishing you all the best

4leafclovergifts
    Up

The brochure shows a ‘luxury’ pack, two nappy cakes (of varying price ranges), the Bath Paint Soaps and one of the bomb packs. All of these are targeted at mums. They were handed out two and three weeks ago (it took that long to deliver them as I couldnt spare money to pay someone else to do it.) On the plus side I have lost 14 kgs delivering them all :-)

Ondetto
    • Total posts: 110
    Up

Don’t give up yet, a month is very short and people might be holding on to the flyers until they need a gift. Normally you need a gift for a particular occasion and not just as soon as you are handed a flyer.

I also think that by just having a Facebook page you are not really making it easy for people to purchase. I personally would be very unlikely to buy from a Facebook page. It is hard to present all your products nicely on Facebook and make ordering an easy process. Maybe I’m a little biased but I really think you need to invest in a simple eCommerce website as soon as you can…

JacquiPryor
    Up

Wow – 14kg really? I might have to do my own brochure/flyer delivery next time around!

I agree with Ondetto, and realise that your advertising funds have dried up for now, but a website could turn this around quite quickly and pay for itself if done right. I too would be more likely to buy through a site than a Facebook page, and think you can really get your name out there more so with a website.

For example – at the moment, a Google search on “Four Leaf Clover Quality Gifts” doesn’t really find your business… it finds businesses selling gifts that incorporate a four leaf clover for the most part. Having your own website and website address that is focused on these words will see you starting to get those search results linking to your business. Plus, you will then be able to focus other key words for people to find your site… In addition to the site design and search engine optimising that can be done, there are then further advertising options – such as pay per click advertising to make sure your website ranks at the very top of search results, which can help get traffic quickly.

It could pay to make some enquiries with people and see how much you can get a website done for, and perhaps some designers will have payment plan options etc. You can even “DIY” your own website through some platforms (but would still need to at least regisetr your website address and arrange some hosting / a shopping cart etc) but this could be a less expensive way to get an online presence quickly… WordPress is free to use/install and attach to your own domain when registered with your hosting etc.

JacquiPryor
    Up

PS – on your ‘order’ form at your Facebook page it says your page is:
    http://www.facebook.com/fourleaflovergifts – this page cannot be found when you put it into your address bar.. your page name appears to actually be: https://www.facebook.com/FourLeafCloverQualityGifts

CindyK
    • Total posts: 155
    Up

Hi,

Not sure about free e-commerce sites – but Tectual who were in the spotlight a little while back have a free website option – so at least you could begin your own website and SEO.

I can see that you are disappointed by the result, but honestly at month one, very few small businesses are doing well or even off the ground – no matter the planning. That you have good planning helps with long-term success, but not short term customer flow.

There is not a quick fix that I know of, thus the term “building your business”. You have taken the right steps, now you need to let the seeds sprout and flourish. I would say that you need to sit down with yourself and have a think about your expectations and why you created them like you did. Also, be very careful not to link this phase of your business (yes it is just a phase – the start-up phase) with your self-esteem and overall success.

It is a huge success to begin with to start a business. Add to that the effort you have put in. And that you did so around a family. Not everyone makes that effort. Try to measure your success not only by sales and the money – but also by the value, learning and sense of satisfaction that you get from the project.

So make a cup of tea, get out a notebook, find a quiet space – and re-write your definition of yourself, your business and what you want out of it. Stopping now will only help if this isn’t something you truly want to do. If it is – then breathe in, tell yourself you are in business and keep looking for any opportunity that you can to get your name out there.

I hate positivity when I am frustrated or annoyed or feeling like a failure, but it really is the mind set that you take things on in that effects your success rate.

Hang in there!

Aura Wellness Clinic
    • Total posts: 81
    Up

Hang in there for sure – 1 month is such a short amount of time and you have received great advice on this site.
    I do agree, a website will give you a much more professional appearance for future sales.

AgentMail
    • Total posts: 1,741
    Up

It is easy to get despondent after putting so much effort in, and feeling so hyped in the early days, then to be left twiddling your thumbs so to speak.

A couple of avenues I would explore:

Hotels – for your packs with the bathrobes (they could sell it as an upsell/romance package)
    Bridal Shops – A place where people will be looking at things like wedding gift options, hens night ideas etc. (I would look to pay a commission on any sales)

Also, I think that you cannot afford not to have a website. As has already been said, I would not look to purchase anything over a Facebook page. Something is better than nothing – find a Uni student looking to build their profile or similar and get yourself a working website. I know there are a number of budget e-commerce options out there now, so get googling.

Finally, go back and remind yourself why you thought your business was a good idea. You can achieve nothing with a negative attitude – go find your spark again – anyone who can deliver 5,000 leaflets by themselves has the drive and determination to make this work.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.