Home Forums Starting your journey Where to start from and WHAT to start with?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Sugar
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3

Hi Folks,
    This is my very first post on this medium and apologies if my topic is out of the discussion. But if there is someone who can really know what I am talking about and give some information I would be very thankful.
    I am in my early 30’s and currently working as a full-time electronics engineer with a decent-paying job. However, I have been thinking of doing something for myself for the last 1 year and I am not sure what I can try first. I know that anything can be started as a side hustle without affecting a full-time job. This is exactly what I want to do, do something, start something, earn in small quantity and go from there. Following are the things ( with my expert level) I have been always keeping in my mind to start with.
    a.) Website development / web development (beginner/Intermediate)
    b.) Online business ( drop shipping ) ( Beginner) – but not sure of what products ( I have very much interest on electronics products, probably being in the electronics engineering field for a while)
    c.) Selling handmade charcoal sketches/arts ( very good) – I have seen people selling these in ETSY. I do not see any harm in trying this and this can be started today, which I am planning already to open an account on ETSY and start putting some price. I enjoy creating handmade drawings too.
    d.) Use my electronics skills ( programming and embedded) (very good) to create some DIY electronics products and see if that works.
    I know this is a very vague question. I would like to know what could be the best decision for me to give a chance to.

Sugar
    Participant

Sorry, I forgot to add this point:
    e.) Starting blog/website on electronics engineering subjects/problems/development/solutions ( pretty much what I usually look for on my daily basis) etc

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,183

Hi and welcome to Flying Solo.

This is a good question but one without a “right” answer.

Your Engineering job is your built in “insurance” so you can experiment a bit and not have the consequences you would if you were “all in”.

Business works on solving problems eg, I’m hungry, I need food, I’m cold, I need clothes and shelter.

Whilst most human needs can be solved by what is already in the market, not all can. If in your own life, you come across something that the market can’t easily solve for you, this is a good starting point for looking into whether solving that problem would make a good business.

Take notice of the things people say eg, I can’t find a good… or I’m paying too much for…that kind of thing.

Let’s us know how you go as your thoughts develop further.

Cheers
    Paul

gwensi
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1

Hi Sugar!
    Hope you are well! Like you, I am also new here. Your post is relatable but of course, I have a different niche probably and not with the same interest as yours. If you may take my point, here they are:

1.) You have promising interests to start with. I mean they are highly translatable to income. I know a lot of people who invested their time in web development, they either maintain to earn income or rank and sell it.
    2.) Dropshipping. There are companies who are accepting agreements where you can display their products to your website or online store and let you earn on the sideline.
    3.) If in selling and you say you have already the idea or products, there are also eCommerce store who allows you to sell your products.
    4.) Handmade or DIY creations in videos are one most the most interesting to view online. If you are successful in this, one thing for sure will lead to another.
    I know to be good at any of these requires a lot of hard works, difficult decisions to make, longer hours to devout, and begin with a smaller income than you might imagine.

Stay well.

Dave Gillen – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,560

Hi @sugar,

It sounds like Option c) would be the simplest (and most enjoyable) business to start.
    In setting it up you will learn a bunch of things about payment processors, shipping, customer service, finding a niche for your art, marketing, and so on.

Selling this kind of product can be competitive, so I would personally try to sell custom drawings for homes and offices (custom jobs can fetch a higher price).

Good luck!
    Dave

Dave Gillen - Client Acquisition | Brisbane | (07) 3180 0288
    James Millar
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,703

Hi Folks,
    This is my very first post on this medium and apologies if my topic is out of the discussion. But if there is someone who can really know what I am talking about and give some information I would be very thankful.
    I am in my early 30’s and currently working as a full-time electronics engineer with a decent-paying job. However, I have been thinking of doing something for myself for the last 1 year and I am not sure what I can try first. I know that anything can be started as a side hustle without affecting a full-time job. This is exactly what I want to do, do something, start something, earn in small quantity and go from there. Following are the things ( with my expert level) I have been always keeping in my mind to start with.
    a.) Website development / web development (beginner/Intermediate)
    b.) Online business ( drop shipping ) ( Beginner) – but not sure of what products ( I have very much interest on electronics products, probably being in the electronics engineering field for a while)
    c.) Selling handmade charcoal sketches/arts ( very good) – I have seen people selling these in ETSY. I do not see any harm in trying this and this can be started today, which I am planning already to open an account on ETSY and start putting some price. I enjoy creating handmade drawings too.
    d.) Use my electronics skills ( programming and embedded) (very good) to create some DIY electronics products and see if that works.
    I know this is a very vague question. I would like to know what could be the best decision for me to give a chance to.

(d) Some form of this no brainer. It’s your current unfair advantage compared to the alternatives and that is a must in business (please there are a million web devs and dropshippers). There is so much potential to use those electronics skills and either develop a product for sale or develop kits for sale (which can have add on kits like the littelbit kit co) or develop digital content as suggest above for learning online etc. You can even chase the education dollar with the right STEM products.

I have worked with a few clients some of which have been very successful in converting craft / hobby type skills into large businesses. With Covid these things are booming.

Use and monetise your unfair advantage first.

Helping build better businesses and better lives with expert financial and taxation advice. info@360partners.com.au www.360partners.com.au 03 9005 4900
    Sugar
    Participant

(d) Some form of this no brainer. It’s your current unfair advantage compared to the alternatives and that is a must in business (please there are a million web devs and dropshippers). There is so much potential to use those electronics skills and either develop a product for sale or develop kits for sale (which can have add on kits like the littelbit kit co) or develop digital content as suggest above for learning online etc. You can even chase the education dollar with the right STEM products.

I have worked with a few clients some of which have been very successful in converting craft / hobby type skills into large businesses. With Covid these things are booming.

Use and monetise your unfair advantage first.

[/quote]
    Thanks James. I did not know about littelbit kit co until now. Seems very interesting to me. I will have a look at it. Thank you.

Glass Railings
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1

great

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.