Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Where to Start with Marketing?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Breevree73
    • Total posts: 112
    Up
    ::

Recently, I’ve been speaking to lots of startup small businesses, and the one question that keeps being asked over and over again is “How do I get my first customers?” (And I ask it too!! All the time….)

So I did a bit of digging, and found a May 2012 survey that suggested the three most effective marketing methods were (1) in-person interactions, (2) website and (3) email interactions – the other possibilities were social media marketing, events, phone calls for lead generation, public relations, direct mail, traditional advertising, online advertising, online surveys and polls. (The survey is here: img.constantcontact.com/docs/pdf/Small_Business_Pulse_Preliminary_Results.pdf and it is really an interesting read.) I didn’t look into where the survey was done, but I would suspect marketing methods would be similar the world over??

Having said that, I’m not sure I agreed with the survey – I’m wondering if anyone here has some insight into this? Have you had success or failure using these methods? Have you used something else and found it to be really successful?

My business is B2B, training, consulting and coaching small business. I suspect different marketing works differently for different sectors, but for me? Networking is, of course, an in-person interaction, but it misses that massive portion of my market who actually don’t attend – or who attend completely different networking events to those that I do?

I guess what I’m trying to say is I’M CONFUSED!! Help! Flying Soloists!! I need some marketing guidance!!

bridiej
    • Total posts: 1,097
    Up

Hi Bree

I’m B2B as well and I’ve found that Twitter works really well – I use it as a networking tool. I won’t go into it all here, but I do have an ebook which shares the way I use it – PM me your email address if you’d like a copy.

I’d also recommend you sign up for MarketingHQs ebook and marketing tip emails – although not all are relevant to B2B, I found them really useful and they gave me some ideas I simply hadn’t thought of. http://www.marketinghq.com.au/free-tools/

I hope these help get you started :)

Chris – Marketing
    • Total posts: 162
    Up

Hi Bree do u have current email list of people that know you or have worked with u before. If not can u make a list up of 50 people. They can be friends who are currently employed in your target market.
    Set up your very but short impacting flyer (remember less is more) with key points that leaves your prospective clients wanting to know more.
    Email it out. Then in the next few weeks go and visit these premises with more information detailing an overview of your product/service. It is important that you have business cards and the whole branding if u can afford it….

All the best Go for it….

Sign Here Graphix
    • Total posts: 32
    Up

I still get a bunch of work just from putting my head in the door when I see a shop or office being fitted out.

Just about being in the right place at the right time.

Barb
    • Total posts: 144
    Up

Hi Bree,

It certainly is a long, hard road!

I also work in B2B services and I have personally found that networking is a huge part of getting leads and clients. I’ve tried quite a few different networking groups and also in-person and online.

Some that I’ve tried include;
    – Chamber of Commerce
    – A local women’s networking group
    – BNI
    – A local Mum’s in biz group
    – Business coaching groups
    – Any function that is held by our local council relating to businesses

Some of these have been extremely worthwhile, and others not so much, but I think it really depends on who attends these groups.

Other methods that I’ve found work really well for me are;
    – Telemarketing to grow my “qualified” prospect list, who I then ask if I can add them to my email newsletter
    – Social media (LinkedIn, Facebook & Twitter)

I think the main thing is that it takes time and you’ve got to try a few different methods to see what works for you and to find where your ideal target market are.

Good luck :)

Regards,
    Barb

Chris – Marketing
    • Total posts: 162
    Up

” still get a bunch of work just from putting my head in the door when I see a shop or office being fitted out.” from Sign Here Graphix”..
    Amen to that…And the experts tell us that cold calling is a thing of the past. Every time a new client comes to me and states that they have tried everything to get new business. I instruct them to get a Polo top or a shirt in my size with their logo and one for themselves. I collect the best information/marketing material that they have. I Target 5 potential clients – visit them unannounced and walk out with at least 3/5 ongoing clients.
    The internet is saturated with offers offering amazing deals but steel we don’t buy. Some do and we hear how they were conned (not what they were expecting).
    Sales is about trust, emotions (feeling good, happy, glad, less stress, etc..) and everyone must be a winner.

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

Hi Bree,

Ive noticed through my own marketing efforts that demographics play a huge role in the effectiveness of the different marketing techniques. This could explain why a survey doesnt reflect your own personal experience.

A highly marketed demographic is more resistant to marketing. For example, Sydney has been blasted with telemarketers and much of the population has learned to identify and end the call very quickly. So almost certainly any telemarketing efforts will have limited success.

Ive been told (and its unconfirmed) that many companies will test a new product in the Perth marketplace before even releasing it to Sydney. Apparently the Perth population is more accepting of new ideas than Sydney.

My business is also B2B and in some ways we face similar challenges. The most obvious to me being educating the prospect to the benefits of what we provide.
    I have found it more effective to spend less time educating each individual prospect and spend more time making myself findable to those seeking the actual service I provide.

I hope this helps a little,

Steve

raynor
    • Total posts: 26
    Up

Spot on Chris I agree completely with what you said. In my opinion cold canvassing is the best and quickest way to gain new business .

Potentially you can gain a lot of business for little cost and often you gain calls from followups many months down the track.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.