Home – New Forums Money matters Which Accounting Software?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    thesandpaperman
    • Total posts: 8
    Up
    ::

At present we are using MYOB AccountRight Plus, and actually we have been with MYOB for over 25 years. MYOB AccountRight Plus doesn’t have the option to purge information, so our file (which is in the cloud) has gotten very big. It is over 2 GB now. MYOB are suggesting starting a new Company File and then copying across just the last year’s transactions and information so that we have a nice small file which is clean and fresh. We have also found somebody who will purge using their own utility. This would be quite expensive, but I am not sure how to go about the starting a new file solution that MYOB is suggesting.
    I wondered what everyone else is using in terms of Accounting Software. We are considering whether we should stay with MYOB, or look at our other options, which would probably be Xero and Sage. We have an inventory of around 5000 items, and there are another 4000 items which have been created, but are not inventoried. We just wonder what is the best way to move forward.
    The main problem with MYOB is that because our file has grown so much and there is no way to purge some of the information, that our MYOB has become very slow. We have utilised all the tips that MYOB have suggested as to speeding things up, but basically it comes down to the size of our file. So, stay with MYOB? Or go to another accounting solution? Would love some opinions and positives or negatives of other programmes for our accounting side of things.

James Millar
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,739
    Up
    thesandpaperman, post: 267006, member: 72067 wrote:
    At present we are using MYOB AccountRight Plus, and actually we have been with MYOB for over 25 years. MYOB AccountRight Plus doesn’t have the option to purge information, so our file (which is in the cloud) has gotten very big. It is over 2 GB now. MYOB are suggesting starting a new Company File and then copying across just the last year’s transactions and information so that we have a nice small file which is clean and fresh. We have also found somebody who will purge using their own utility. This would be quite expensive, but I am not sure how to go about the starting a new file solution that MYOB is suggesting.
    I wondered what everyone else is using in terms of Accounting Software. We are considering whether we should stay with MYOB, or look at our other options, which would probably be Xero and Sage. We have an inventory of around 5000 items, and there are another 4000 items which have been created, but are not inventoried. We just wonder what is the best way to move forward.
    The main problem with MYOB is that because our file has grown so much and there is no way to purge some of the information, that our MYOB has become very slow. We have utilised all the tips that MYOB have suggested as to speeding things up, but basically it comes down to the size of our file. So, stay with MYOB? Or go to another accounting solution? Would love some opinions and positives or negatives of other programmes for our accounting side of things.

Hi There

It seems your MYOB data has reached the limits of the MYOB file architecture for efficient usage. If you are going to make a change then I would recommend a full cloud solution and suggest Xero should be your first port of call. That being said, given your extensive stock management requirements you may need to use a separate add on platform just for that. Xero integrates well with quite a few.

Maybe jump into a trial and see what you think. There are providers like Jet Convert that will bring some of your historic MYOB data across which simplifies the changeover.

When selecting a platform I think you need to consider its feature set now and its likely feature set in the future. Xero certainly devote a massive amount of attention and resources into VISIBLE product improvement with various updates throughout the year. The other platforms seem to pay lip service to it.

Another added benefit – your accounting fees should either be less OR you should get a lot more bang for your buck with proactive support from your accountant. With current figures there is no excuse for failing to collaborate or failing to find opportunities or solve numerical problems (in particular tax)

Helping build better businesses and better lives with expert financial and taxation advice. [email protected] www.360partners.com.au 03 9005 4900
    gavinchk
    • Total posts: 8
    Up
    thesandpaperman, post: 267006, member: 72067 wrote:

Sounds like you have outgrown the small accounting software in the likes of MYOB, Quickbooks and Xero.

Let me know if you are after moving to a mid-tier solution, I helped companies doing the migration to bigger suites, most recently Odoo which is complete package which is well-priced compared to the bigger players out there (i.e SAP, Netsuite, Sage and so on).

Regards,
    Gav

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.