Home – New Forums Tech talk Which Smart phone should I buy?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    ::

Hi Guys and Girls,

I need to buy a phone for my business startup that it is going to work well and reliably for several years and would appreciate some feedback and advice. Being a Blackberry user for the last 8 years who feels it is time for a change I am a little lost with the alternative options.

I will need the phone to do the following: Interface well with outlook contacts and calender, accept outlook meeting requests and transfer them to my PC during sync, run skype, view excel, pdf and word documents, easily save files to the file structure, run dropbox, easily attach documents to emails, create a wifi hotspot for my ipad, good camera, good phone and come with a cable headset.

I have been talking to the retailers today and they have recommended the Samsung Galaxy S3 and Nokia 920. Both options seem quite expensive and if this is the way I go I want to be sure I made the right decision. The Nokia phone and windows platform is still new and I am not convinced it is proven. I wonder how good the Samsung is for business and if there is enough memory in the drive to load a few applications.

As you can appreciate in a Startup scenario where it may be a few months before I send out my first invoice, I want to spend money wisely.

Brent@Ontrax
    • Total posts: 336
    Up

Hector,

Welcome to FS Forums.

You must remember that at the end of the day it is not a replacement for your desktop machine but primarily a PHONE! Call Quality is CRITICAL. Both mentioned phones will be able to do most of what you want, but really how many files are you going to be carrying around with you on your phone. Do you realy want to be sitting at your smart phone and trying to type Word & Excel documents for long periods of time or are you better off getting a phone that works and investing in a small Tablet or Surface machine with internet access.

I have had a Blackberry for 7 years now and it has servered me well. I have been able to Sync it to my Microsoft Server and PC but now I want to sync my contacts and calendar without syncing to the PC, Yes there is Blackberry Enterprise Express Server but it has too many registry tweaks and settings for a single user), so I’m going to be upgrading to the Samsung Windows 8 phone when it is released.

If you are using a simple POP email account then yes you will need to connect your phone to your PC to sync with Outlook, but if you are using Exchange online or have your own Exchange Server then Android will Sync everything via ActiveSync and a Windows 8 Phone will do it via Exchange interface. But document sharing without Dropbox will be the issue and will take up the memory space as well as your download limits.

Good Luck with your New Business venture and you should go introduce yourself and tell us a bit about what your busienss will be doing.

Hope this Helps.
    Brent

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

I use the HTC One xl and have found it to be a brilliant handset.
    Its also blue ticked.

Steve

Uncomplicating
    • Total posts: 731
    Up

I adopted the Microsoft platform recently and I have a Nokia 920.

The phone so far does exactly what one would expect and at 32Gb (minus the os etc.) has plenty of space. Call quality is fine as is battery life. The camera is exceptionally good. Haven’t tried the wifi hotspot.

The MS world is still in its infancy, but seems to be holding up pretty well so far. Word, excel, and so on are all usable, although editing is not brilliant on the small screen. Worthy of note here is that Office for Mac will be available on iPhone/iPad within a few months.

I’ve moved all of my contacts etc., to SkyDrive and do all email from there too via outlook.com, so sorry to say, I can’t tell you about Outlook integration on the desktop. If you use Skydrive, you get 7Gb for free, or 25Gb for another $10 per year, providing a solid alternative to Dropbox.

angela123
    • Total posts: 310
    Up

I have a Galaxy S2 which I love, it is simple to use and has more features than I would ever use. Good camera too, which saves me taking another piece of equipment on holidays :)

AgentMail
    • Total posts: 1,741
    Up

Ummm… I have an LG Optimus which I paid $99 for!!! :)

I don’t use my phone all that much, but it has everything I need – linked to my Gmail for e-mails, which allows me to chat with customers browsing my website.

I also have Dropbox, Evernote etc on there, so I can still keep a check on most things. Most people would probably say they need heaps more, but I prefer to use a laptop for anything more intensive

Blake M
    • Total posts: 29
    Up

Just roll with an iPhone. Granted, they’re not for everyone but as an ex-BlackBerry user it does everything I need very easily and with minimum frustration.

It syncs perfectly with Exchange, including my Outlook meeting requests, tasks and contacts and syncs without any prompting (although I think that my be an Exchange thing – granted, it would likely work the same). It also runs Skype, and there’s a free app called CloudOn which lets you view and edit Office documents. It also syncs with Dropbox, Google Drive, Box and SkyDrive.

You can also create a personal hotspot for your iPad easily, and the camera is half-decent too. Probably coming across as a bit of a fanboy here, but after years of banging my head on a wall trying to get a BlackBerry to do even simple tasks it was like a whole other world.

Jason@Plumsale
    • Total posts: 155
    Up

I generally don’t take advise from sales people, esp for phones. eg phone retailers actually lose money on iPhone sales, after wages. So you will find none recommending them.

The first question you should ask is not what phone, but what operating system.. Answer that one first then look at the phone options. After you have an OS you like then most likely you will stick to it for a longwhile, ie become part of their eco-system.

If you are unsure, then spend the extra money and pay for it outright off a plan, or 12 month plan. A 24 month plan is a long time being stuck with a phone you do not like..

A good business opportunity there.. phone rentals???

PRO
    • Total posts: 450
    Up

I have galaxy s2 and galaxy tab 10.1

Interestingly, the stock android email integrates with my Outlook.com portal brilliantly, whereas my Office 2010 Outlook in the desktop has issues.

My S2 is in getting repaired after stopping charging, but it has had a rather rugged existence, I am a very high user.

I have a little old LG to get me through and charging and battery life on it is outstanding.

Am contemplating getting the GalaxyNote II or one of the other phablets if my phone is not worth repairing.

NOTES
    I often receive 100 plus emails a day, I send a lot too
    I use practice management and task management software that I access through my phone, a lot
    I receive and make a lot of calls

ScarlettR
    • Total posts: 396
    Up
    PRO, post: 147789 wrote:
    I have galaxy s2 and galaxy tab 10.1

I have these too. The Galaxy S2 is fantastic, does everything I need. And I much prefer the Android OS over the iPhone, with the interaction of my widgets on the main screen.

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up

I’m an Android fan but, given how much you want to integrate with Outlook et al, I’d probably tell you to give it a miss for now. There’s some shenanigans going on between Google and Microsoft and I think you might have issues with your calendar and contacts.
    (I’m not a ‘phone’ person however so take this with a pinch of salt)

An iPhone would probably be the safest bet if you want something long lasting, but that Windows phone probably offers the best integration with your office.

Gizmo
    • Total posts: 731
    Up

If money is really tight…

Choose an Android phone that suits your budget.
    I say Android as then you get best integration with Google apps which is an awesome low cost office software package costing you all of $0.

oscsau
    • Total posts: 18
    Up

I would go for Applie Iphone and purely for the fact they take the least downtime for the phone being faulty. I had my phone dropped in water and not only they replaced it for free instead of charging me $250, but also replace in half hour.

I have setup outlook to synchorinise using Apple Icloud my calendar and contacts and run skype and view excel and pdf document and dropbox.

If you really want to use word and so on and excel for edit then it’s best to get a tablet cause of the bigger screen.

My friend owns a phone company and he says that Samsung turn around repair time is up to 3 weeks for their phones and for Nokia it is more harder and takes longer.

Anyway I hope I have helped.

Hector, post: 147668 wrote:
    Hi Guys and Girls,

I need to buy a phone for my business startup that it is going to work well and reliably for several years and would appreciate some feedback and advice. Being a Blackberry user for the last 8 years who feels it is time for a change I am a little lost with the alternative options.

I will need the phone to do the following: Interface well with outlook contacts and calender, accept outlook meeting requests and transfer them to my PC during sync, run skype, view excel, pdf and word documents, easily save files to the file structure, run dropbox, easily attach documents to emails, create a wifi hotspot for my ipad, good camera, good phone and come with a cable headset.

I have been talking to the retailers today and they have recommended the Samsung Galaxy S3 and Nokia 920. Both options seem quite expensive and if this is the way I go I want to be sure I made the right decision. The Nokia phone and windows platform is still new and I am not convinced it is proven. I wonder how good the Samsung is for business and if there is enough memory in the drive to load a few applications.

As you can appreciate in a Startup scenario where it may be a few months before I send out my first invoice, I want to spend money wisely.

Eng UNG
    • Total posts: 15
    Up

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 and I see no reason to upgrade it anytime soon, although there are newer models on the market. Android phones don’t have the number of apps as the Apple Iphones, but I have not found this to be of any real limitation. If you choose a Galaxy or Iphone you’ll definitely get a lot of bang for your buck as well as a lot of mileage.

Warren Cottis
    Participant
    • Total posts: 807
    Up

I watch & listen to a lot of business videos and audios

With the iPhone 5 screen and some nifty apps I am churning through them more often using the convenience of my iPhone and reducing down time.

Every five or 10 minutes spare is now productive.

Doctor’s or Dentist’s or Tradesman’s appointment behind schedule?… who cares… I’m working conveniently instead of being frustrated

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.