Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Who clicks on Google Ads?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Dennis Smechich
    • Total posts: 14
    Up
    ::

Hi All

This is more of a small marketing research.

When you do a google search (eg mountain bikes). Do you look at the ads when when the results appear? or do you automatically ignore them? I’m talking about the adds across the top, and the right column.

Eg, for me, most of the time I ignore them and go straight to the organic search results. I guess my brain has automatically learnt spot what the adds are and ignore them. This applies for adds in websites, in phone apps, etc. Heck even my 3yr old daughter ignores those adds that pop-up on the kids app on my ipad.

so just out of curiosity, i’m wondering what most people do?

thanks

SuzsSpace
    Participant
    • Total posts: 692
    Up

I mostly ignore them, but just occasionally I’ll click on them. Very, very occasionally.

AquariaFTS
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

I believe that this is a growing problem with advertising, and has probably been one of the reason businesses have moved away from conventional ads and more towards more integrated forms of communication so that consumers aren’t switching off.

I think with the google ads its better to be at the top as well as organic just so your competitors are not. It probably depends on how competitive your industry is as well though.

I do click them occasionally, if they’ve paid for it they might as well know what they’re doing

adrian
    Participant
    • Total posts: 181
    Up

I click on them occasionally to give Google some cash. I use so much from Google (Gmail, apps, search, youtube…), and it’s only been in the last year that I thought I should give them something back… That said, it only happens when I’m searching for a specific company, and the ad for that company appears.

That said, I did read once (I have no idea how authoritative the source was) that ad blockers made almost no difference to the income a site received – the people who use as blocker aren’t the type of people who click ads anyway. So maybe there is a demographic who clicks the ads. I’d guess it’s a less internet savvy audience.

bluepenguin
    • Total posts: 1,026
    Up

I always go straight to the organic results, and then only look at the paid stuff if I can’t find what I want.

The evil in me often makes me click the paid results to experience the power I have to cost people money…

Evo the marketing guy
    • Total posts: 58
    Up

My target market does in great numbers; that is all I care about…

A very satisfactory amount of these clicks become paying customers.

I find Adwords a terrific way to top up my pipeline. I can also generate demand WHEN I need it.

DarianCulbert
    • Total posts: 49
    Up

I don’t like but I often click on that ;-) Because I think they are having something to offer and I loose nothing when I click on that! I will have more information about what I am looking for and will compare all sources!

Rico
    • Total posts: 137
    Up

I recently saw a friend (not very computer savvy) with a Bigpond email address logging in to check his email. To do that he googled “bigpond” and after clicked on the paid ads. I asked him and he confirmed that this is what he does each timehe check his emails, as it is just easy. There must be thousands of people doing the same, several times each day.

I don’t think my friend knows what google adwords is, and I immagine he wouldn’t care anyway. But why businesses spend money for adwords, if they are already n.1, n.2 and n.3 in the organic search for the same keywords?

Tall Trees Eco Store
    • Total posts: 52
    Up

I’m with Steve. I’ll do a search and even click through to the 2nd or 3rd page to find what I’m looking for. Only as a last resort do I click an ad.

I used it once for one of my businesses and found it did nothing. Possible because my ad didn’t stand out or perhaps no-one actually clicks through.

IncredibleCo
    • Total posts: 406
    Up

Sure I do. Google Ads are relevant to what I’m searching for. It’s not like I Google tennis and then on the right hand side I get a whole load of car ads. I get tennis related ads. Same when I’m reading a games magazine, if I see an ad for a game I might like I’ll pay attention to that ad. These sort of ads are fine, you can choose to use them or not and they’re usually highly relevant to what you’re reading / searching for.

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up

If I’m looking for a commercial product/service, then yes I do.

If I’m looking for information such as the cricket scores, no I don’t.

Khaz0r
    Participant
    • Total posts: 12
    Up

I do if the ad is relevant to me or has a call to action that is too good not to find more information about.

Here’s a fantastic infographic that proves that people click on ads. http://www.wordstream.com/articles/google-ads

On the flip side, if I was looking for an SEO provider, I wouldn’t be clicking on their ads…

Hope this helps.

marnieb
    • Total posts: 159
    Up

I check them out, every time. There could be a really fab website that hasn’t made it to the first page, but has paid for an ad so that I see them. It’d be a shame to ignore that.

Dennis Smechich, post: 126499 wrote:
    Hi All

This is more of a small marketing research.

When you do a google search (eg mountain bikes). Do you look at the ads when when the results appear? or do you automatically ignore them? I’m talking about the adds across the top, and the right column.

Eg, for me, most of the time I ignore them and go straight to the organic search results. I guess my brain has automatically learnt spot what the adds are and ignore them. This applies for adds in websites, in phone apps, etc. Heck even my 3yr old daughter ignores those adds that pop-up on the kids app on my ipad.

so just out of curiosity, i’m wondering what most people do?

thanks

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up

I run Google ads from time to time so know that people do click them. I turn my campaign on when time allows me to handle the enquiries that come through from the sponsored ads.

If I know the site/company I am looking for and search it in Google and they come up in the sponsored ads I won’t click them, I’ll find them in the organic results, because I know who I am looking for and don’t necessarily want to cost them money by me clicking the sponsored ad. But, If I’m looking for something less specific then I’ll happy click on the paid ads if it sounds like their site has what I am after.

Dennis Smechich
    • Total posts: 14
    Up

Interesting to see all the different opinions. thanks!

knowing that some of these adds could cost the advertiser up to $5 – $10 just for your click …..farout!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.