Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Who is Your Email From?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    DavidM
    • Total posts: 329
    Up
    ::

Hello,

I’m interested in getting your views on how you name your email account. That is, when you send an email to a client, who is your email from? Is it from your business name, your name or a combination of the two?

I’m guessing that the answer would vary depending on the industry. Businesses that foster ongoing frequent relationships with customers would probably be best served with simply using a human email name. Whereas businesses or websites that have infrequent/sporatic contact may perhaps be better to use the business name.

I’m also making the assumption that the content in the email is signed off by a person with a real name and contact details.

Interested in your thoughts and reasons.

Cheers,

travelmaster
    • Total posts: 200
    Up

Hi there,

I use my name and my company name. I want pple to know staright away that it’s me talking. Otherwise they may think it’s some spam or junk mail.

This is actually an interesting sub-thread – the same question but applied to newsletters. I am struggling with the best concept there ie “where is the newsletter from”. Because this is what makes them being opened or being deleted straight away.

rgds

bridiej
    • Total posts: 1,097
    Up

I have three emails

[email protected] for Australian business
    [email protected] for UK business

Plus my own personal westnet account which I use for general stuff and would use for clients once they’ve signed up, as it were.

All three have my signature on with link to website.

I have been thinking about getting an Australian one linked to my Aus domain, I just need to check if I can route all email sent to the westnet one to the domain one as I’ve used it for advertising and I could do without yet another email account to keep on top of!

DavidM
    Up
    bridiej, post: 50313 wrote:
    I have three emails

[email protected] for Australian business
    [email protected] for UK business

Plus my own personal westnet account which I use for general stuff and would use for clients once they’ve signed up, as it were.

Hi Bridie, just to clarify, it’s not so much the physical email address – but more the name that the email address is connected to. e.g

Is [email protected] connected to the name ‘Bridie’ or ‘Audio Typing’ or ‘Bridie’s Audio Typing’.

Cheers,

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

if you run a business, then you should ALWAYS at least have your own domain name, even if you don’t have a website.

To me it is unprofessional (and hobby business or worse!) if it is the domain of your ISP or even worse hotmail, gmail etc.

No matter if it is your name or sales@ etc, this to me is less relevant. Unless you are a bigger business with staff movements where sales/accounts/service etc may be applicable

Samot
    • Total posts: 157
    Up

I like emails that have a persons name in it, I feel more secure knowing that if I need to approach the business I can name a particular individual.

I also don’t mind if a business uses a public email domain such as gmail or hotmail depending on the niche.

prepaidplans
    • Total posts: 38
    Up

Until recently I used a real gmail account to answer queries from users of my site, but following some thought I decided to change all that and now answer emails with [email protected] so it looks a lot more professional, particularly when I am exchanging information with corporates regarding advertising and other arrangements. I have simply linked that email address into Gmail.

JohnSheppard
    • Total posts: 940
    Up

IMO, best to consider growth.

Full names with dot in the middle used consistently will make it easier for your customers and internally as it is a fairly widely used convention…Less likely to have conflicts that way. Then have departments for publicly contactable address.

e.g.
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    [email protected]

Regarding where to have newsletters come from, IMO best to use a [email protected] because it identifies straight up where it’s from. There’s little point trying to trick people (well…to an extent).

Also, I am of the opinion if you are not using your own domain you will be seen as an amateur in the very least by a small portion of the buying publics eyes. I think it’s a no brainer.

mexham
    • Total posts: 302
    Up

I just have my full name – Mike Rennie – Mexican Hammocks Australia.

With my actual email I use mike at hammocksaustralia. Personally I don’t like email that are sales@ or info@. You don’t know who you are dealing with from a company, I’d rather have an actual specific person I am dealing with, and know I am going to receive emails from them.

DavidM
    Up
    mexham, post: 50488 wrote:
    I just have my full name – Mike Rennie – Mexican Hammocks Australia.With my actual email I use mike at hammocksaustralia.

Thanks Mike. I always wondered if long display names are a bit of a turn off – as they are cropped in your browser/outlook. ‘Mike Rennie – Mexican Hammocks Australia’ has quite a few characters.

Did you have initial reservations about the length?

David

wordmistress
    • Total posts: 504
    Up

Hi David

When I email someone, the email comes from ‘Gina Lofaro’. My newsletters come from ‘the wordmistress’. Anywhere else, say when commenting on blog posts or news items, I use ‘Gina Lofaro aka the wordmistress’.

Now that I’ve read this thread, I think I’ll change my email sender details to ‘Gina Lofaro aka the wordmistress’. Thanks for prompting me :).

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total posts: 87
    Up

Perhaps a little off topic … but I notice that some people have mentioned using email addresses like contact@, info@, sales@, etc. If you’re going to use a “neutral” name like that (rather than your own), I would STRONGLY recommend not using common versions like contact@, info@, etc.

The reason for this is that spammers automatically target these sorts of email addresses, since they’re so generic and common.

So, for example, if I need to use a general email address, I’ll always make it different to those I’ve mentioned above. It’s amazing how much less spam you’ll receive just by factoring the above into your decision about what email address to use.

ProCapture
    • Total posts: 16
    Up

My email, usually, is [email protected]

email account settings on my Mac have ‘Full Name’ for [email protected] set to ‘ProCapture Tuition’

This means that recipients of an email will see ‘ProCapture Tuition’ in their from field, but when they click on that email to view it they can clearly see my name at the top of the message and OR in my Signature (which is simple and degrades nicely to plain text)

In the screen shot below you can see that my most recent email was sent from ‘ProCapture Tuition’

This is very important when dealing with companies of any size since their accounts department will not remember my name or place any importance on my email until they have clicked on it, whereas some sort of description here carries more weight and it is more likely they will remember past transactions

You can see in the 3rd email down that I have sent a message to myself
    This is from a different personal address where the account settings for ‘full name’ (Apple Mail) match the ‘myname’ part of my address

Imagine receiving that if you don’t know my name. Totally different.

It’s also quite easy to manage several inboxes, here you can see at the top of the image that I have 3 accounts in a merged view at one time – this includes two professional emails and my personal email

BTW Get onto IMAP as a protocol – it means any message once received is pervasive and available everywhere.
    How many get frustrated that email that has been deleted from their phone still appears in their inbox on their computer (doesn’t happen with IMAP)
    What if I create a draft on my Desktop and then wish to edit it further and send from my phone while out and about – IMAP

mail.png

BTW One of the many things I do in my Business is empower people to take control of their own domain so that they can understand and control it themselves

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total posts: 87
    Up
    ProCapture, post: 51519 wrote:
    BTW Get onto IMAP as a protocol – it means any message once received is pervasive and available everywhere.
    How many get frustrated that email that has been deleted from their phone still appears in their inbox on their computer (doesn’t happen with IMAP)
    IMAP is fantastic. Agreed.

However, the only thing I would add to the above is too ensure that you have PLENTY of disk space with your hosting if you’re going to consider using IMAP (and hence keeping all messages on the server).

ProCapture
    • Total posts: 16
    Up
    Adam Wozniak – wecancreate, post: 51551 wrote:
    However, the only thing I would add to the above is too ensure that you have PLENTY of disk space with your hosting if you’re going to consider using IMAP (and hence keeping all messages on the server).

This is imperative, hence my common recommendation to take control of your own hosting so that Adam can concentrate on important things like building your website without having to field requests to ‘make my inbox bigger’

After 16,000 emails over 10 years my personal Inbox has gradually been increased to 1.4GB (950MB in use) and my main business email contains 2000 messages taking up 173MB of a 250MB allowance

The upside to Imap is that all your drafts, sent, received and trashed emails (plus notes) are stored on the server

The downside to IMAP is that all your drafts, sent, received and trashed emails (plus notes) are stored on the server

All messages sync across any number of devices automagically

Here’s a good scenario – House Burns down, Computer and iPhone melt. Not a problem.
    Just buy a new Mac (the perfect opportunity to ditch Windows) and a new iphone
    Type your email address and password in to each and you are back in business. Within ten minutes of turning them on you can search your 10,000 emails for the one that contains details about your insurance policy

(if you also sync with MobileMe you’ll also get back all contacts, bookmarks, preferences and email signatures)

(IMAP is another name for push email btw)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.