Home – New Forums Tech talk Who owns what in The Cloud

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Uncomplicating
    • Total posts: 731
    Up
    ::

A good question was posed this morning on another thread on the subject of data ownership in cloud applications.

Those who’ve already read some of my musings on the subject of “The Cloud” will know that I’m not entirely in favour of the lemming like rush of all and sundry to adopt Cloud technology. Being long enough in the tooth to have been providing professional IT services during the birth and subsequent demise of the first .com bubble, I’m getting an uneasy sense of deja vu with the current enthusiasm for jumping on the ?aaS bandwagon.

As ever, this will all be great fun until someone’s beer gets spilled. If the lack of availability of Megaupload isn’t enough to encourage perhaps a little reserve, there is another “elephant in the room” that we ought to have a tiny think about before we sacrifice our first born at the altar of the great Internet God once more.

Data and IP ownership is a grey area at the best of times, and the repeated distribution and multiple copies of data on servers all over the planet has done nothing to clarify the situation. Better still, as the written statutes are as ever lagging behind, individual providers can pretty much write their own rules. What happens to you precious data is, it seems, entirely dependent on who you send it to.

We were scared to death of internet banking and on line payments 10 years ago, and we’d struggle to live without it today, so these things will doubtless work themselves out. Life just kinda works that way. But there will be a few casualties along the way, and until the dust settles, it behoves us all to be a little circumspect, and perhaps to take a moment to actually read the terms of use before we sign up.

As ever, caveat emptor is good solid advice and it’s down to you to make sure you know what you’re letting yourself in for.

Here’s a link to an interesting article fom the L.A. Times

Calcul8or
    Participant
    • Total posts: 481
    Up

Er…bingo!….snap! and check mate too, if I can somehow sneak that one in without anyone noticing.

Don’t worry, my babbling confounds even me sometimes.

I could not go past without making some attempt to register my concurrence with your observations. Why on earth would anyone trust their sacred secrets with the administrators of the cloud, some of whom could be no more than pimply-faced adolescents either in body or mind?….was a question I posed in a previous thread that I can’t muster enough energy to create a link to.

But even if they aren’t, it’s still pretty scary to think that people don’t seem to be too concerned about the information they’re surrendering to god knows who, and the possible risks that could arise.

From the perspective of temporary convenience, it makes sense. But to entrust holus bolus and without any reservation is a dubious practice to my mind.

Programmer. Analyst. Nerd. Calcul8ors.com.au Custom Software & Collaboration
    Calcul8or
    Participant
    • Total posts: 481
    Up

Er…bingo!….snap! and check mate too, if I can somehow sneak that one in without anyone noticing.

Don’t worry, my babbling confounds even me sometimes.

I could not go past without making some attempt to register my concurrence with your observations. Why on earth would anyone trust their sacred secrets with the administrators of the cloud, some of whom could be no more than pimply-faced adolescents either in body or mind?….was a question I posed in a previous thread that I can’t muster enough energy to create a link to.

But even if they aren’t, it’s still pretty scary to think that people don’t seem to be too concerned about the information they’re surrendering to god knows who, and the possible risks that could arise.

From the perspective of temporary convenience, it makes sense. But to entrust holus bolus and without any reservation is a dubious practice to my mind.

Programmer. Analyst. Nerd. Calcul8ors.com.au Custom Software & Collaboration
    SamanthaE
    • Total posts: 235
    Up

And here I was thinking that I was the only one who was musing about SaaS and “The Cloud”.

What I find interesting is that a lot of business owners are not educated on the fact that they should always know where in the world (literally) there data is being stored because a lot of countries are not bound by the rigorous privacy laws that exist in Australia!

Would still be interested in an answer from the accountants in the other thread mentioned in the original post!

SamanthaE
    • Total posts: 235
    Up

And here I was thinking that I was the only one who was musing about SaaS and “The Cloud”.

What I find interesting is that a lot of business owners are not educated on the fact that they should always know where in the world (literally) there data is being stored because a lot of countries are not bound by the rigorous privacy laws that exist in Australia!

Would still be interested in an answer from the accountants in the other thread mentioned in the original post!

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up

I agree with everything here, but also ask yourself next time you’re entering your credit card details into an e-commerce site “do I know what happens to my credit card details after this transaction?” and the answer will generally be ‘no’.
    There’s a certain amount of trust implicit in the system.

I think the questions to ask yourself are:
    1) What happens if I lose access to the service?
    2) What happens if someone gains access to my data on the service?

For instance I use a cloud based source control system for my development work, but I also keep local copies of everything. If one fails, I can quickly restore it using the other. If someone gains access to my work on the service, I suspect they won’t find it all that interesting or useful.

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up

I agree with everything here, but also ask yourself next time you’re entering your credit card details into an e-commerce site “do I know what happens to my credit card details after this transaction?” and the answer will generally be ‘no’.
    There’s a certain amount of trust implicit in the system.

I think the questions to ask yourself are:
    1) What happens if I lose access to the service?
    2) What happens if someone gains access to my data on the service?

For instance I use a cloud based source control system for my development work, but I also keep local copies of everything. If one fails, I can quickly restore it using the other. If someone gains access to my work on the service, I suspect they won’t find it all that interesting or useful.

@HeatherSmithAU
    • Total posts: 525
    Up

Here is a link to a document produced by the Australian Government Department of Defence Intelligence and Security department, entitled Cloud Computing Security Considerations.
    http://www.dsd.gov.au/publications/Cloud_Computing_Security_Considerations.pdf
    Here is a link to an interesting article written by David Braue “Is it legal to send your data overseas?”

http://www.smh.com.au/it-pro/cloud/is-it-legal-to-send-your-data-overseas-20111011-1lic0.html
    He mentions the Electronic Transactions Act 2003, Spam Act 2003, Cybercrime Act 2001, Copyright Amendment (Digital Agenda) Act 2000, Privacy Amendment (Private Sector) Act 2000, Privacy Act 1988, Archives Act 1983, Freedom of Information Act 1982, and Telecommunications (Interception) Act 1979.

@HeatherSmithAU
    Up

Here is a link to a document produced by the Australian Government Department of Defence Intelligence and Security department, entitled Cloud Computing Security Considerations.
    http://www.dsd.gov.au/publications/Cloud_Computing_Security_Considerations.pdf
    Here is a link to an interesting article written by David Braue “Is it legal to send your data overseas?”

http://www.smh.com.au/it-pro/cloud/is-it-legal-to-send-your-data-overseas-20111011-1lic0.html
    He mentions the Electronic Transactions Act 2003, Spam Act 2003, Cybercrime Act 2001, Copyright Amendment (Digital Agenda) Act 2000, Privacy Amendment (Private Sector) Act 2000, Privacy Act 1988, Archives Act 1983, Freedom of Information Act 1982, and Telecommunications (Interception) Act 1979.

Uncomplicating
    Up

And here’s a little more on the subject.

The long and the short of it seems to be that we should all keep calm and carry on. There isn’t a dragon coming, World War III isn’t imminent and the apocalypse has again been postponed until a time yet to be arranged.

Of course, while none of this is overly surprising, it in no way obviates your responsibilty to make sure you understand the terms and conditions applied to the products you’re about to purchase.

Uncomplicating
    Up

And here’s a little more on the subject.

The long and the short of it seems to be that we should all keep calm and carry on. There isn’t a dragon coming, World War III isn’t imminent and the apocalypse has again been postponed until a time yet to be arranged.

Of course, while none of this is overly surprising, it in no way obviates your responsibilty to make sure you understand the terms and conditions applied to the products you’re about to purchase.

@HeatherSmithAU
    Up

Hi,

Here is the follow up link to the webinar

http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/finance_webinar

my attempt to answer all the outstanding questions from the webinar,

Cheers

Heather

@HeatherSmithAU
    Up

Hi,

Here is the follow up link to the webinar

http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/finance_webinar

my attempt to answer all the outstanding questions from the webinar,

Cheers

Heather

alwaysonbooks.com
    • Total posts: 31
    Up

I get customers asking about security , not ownership. I point out online banking is a cloud app, and that accounting software is secure too. I also point out email are about future jobs and accounting is about past work. So I would spend more time and money securing my email than my accounting software.

As time goes on there will be more standards for backing up and moving cloud data, but for now most of the big players have better back up than most small biz. I would also trust them to run the service and notify clients if they are going to close any service.

alwaysonbooks.com
    • Total posts: 31
    Up

I get customers asking about security , not ownership. I point out online banking is a cloud app, and that accounting software is secure too. I also point out email are about future jobs and accounting is about past work. So I would spend more time and money securing my email than my accounting software.

As time goes on there will be more standards for backing up and moving cloud data, but for now most of the big players have better back up than most small biz. I would also trust them to run the service and notify clients if they are going to close any service.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.