Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Who said Internet advertising is the bee’s knees of marketing communications?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up
    ::

Hi All,
    In some quarters there seems to be a belief that if marketing communications is not on the Internet, it is money wasted.

Marketers and advertising agencies should find this 2014 survey from Millward Brown useful if they need support for offline communications program recommendations…

Emotional Connections Attract Digital Marketers’ Branding Dollars

According to the study…

• The majority of digital marketers say that digital advertising hasn’t lived up to its promise
    • They are searching for the best way to connect with consumers on an emotional level to bridge the delta between the branding promise of digital and real-world success.
    • Only 50% of marketers say they somewhat/strongly agree with this statement: “Digital held promise for brand marketers, but for all its promise, it has never delivered as a branding vehicle.”

This study included 300 decision makers from Fourtune 500 companies and leading ad agencies in the USA.

Do FS viewers value this sort of educational post?
    Regs,
    JohnW

babykissesxx
    • Total posts: 5
    Up

Hi John,
    I found this interesting information. I am sure it used to deliver however now there sooooo much information on the internet it is hard to be found in the first place.

Thanks
    http://www.babykissesxx.com

JohnW, post: 194377 wrote:
    Hi All,
    In some quarters there seems to be a belief that if marketing communications is not on the Internet, it is money wasted.

Marketers and advertising agencies should find this 2014 survey from Millward Brown useful if they need support for offline communications program recommendations…

Emotional Connections Attract Digital Marketers’ Branding Dollars

According to the study…

• The majority of digital marketers say that digital advertising hasn’t lived up to its promise
    • They are searching for the best way to connect with consumers on an emotional level to bridge the delta between the branding promise of digital and real-world success.
    • Only 50% of marketers say they somewhat/strongly agree with this statement: “Digital held promise for brand marketers, but for all its promise, it has never delivered as a branding vehicle.”

This study included 300 decision makers from Fourtune 500 companies and leading ad agencies in the USA.

Do FS viewers value this sort of educational post?
    Regs,
    JohnW

Abinstock
    • Total posts: 14
    Up

Thanks for the share John,

Interesting that social media advertising was felt to be the most effective form of online advertising.

Wonder if Australian businesses have a similar feeling towards online marketing spend?

Y LearnMarketing
    • Total posts: 37
    Up

Thanks for sharing John.

It’s not fair to say internet marketing in general does not deliver as it should be.

There are so many different ways to send your message out through the internet now. Are you talking about email marketing, content marketing, social media, organic search, paid search, video search, display ads, webinar or others?

There are business running without a website in Australia, but no body would have known them as a brand.

JohnW
    Up
    Y Marketing, post: 194420 wrote:
    It’s not fair to say internet marketing in general does not deliver as it should be.

There are so many different ways to send your message out through the internet now. Are you talking about email marketing, content marketing, social media, organic search, paid search, video search, display ads, webinar or others?
    Hi Y Marketing,
    Thanks for your contribution.

The survey is specifically assessing “digital advertising”, not organic search, content marketing, social media, video search or webinars.

Please read para 11 of the referenced page, it states:

“Question: From the following list, which do you think are the most effective forms of digital advertising that meet your digital branding objectives…

• Ads bought directly from a publisher
    • SMS/MMS text ads
    • In-game ads
    • Ads bought through programmatic methods
    • In-app mobile aps
    • Emotionally targeted in-game branding ads
    • Mobile website ads
    • Paid search marketing (SEM)
    • Email marketing
    • Native advertising
    • Social media ads”

The specific marketing communications issue we are discussing is brand marketing. This is about brand imagery, awareness, expectation, retention, etc.

The findings don’t surprise me. They confirm what I expected.

IMHO, the factors that compromise digital advertising’s effectiveness include:

1. The Internet user is in charge of what they see. (At least with TV ads, you have to find the remote to avoid an ad.)

2. Web page scrolling. Ads disappear from view so quickly because people want the info further down a page.

3. Ad format. An extension of the above, most digital ads are constrained to their location and size. Both attributes probably hurt brand marketing objectives.

4. Viewer’s mindset. With most conventional media, the user is in entertainment mode – they are relaxing. With SE ads they are in info gathering mode.

5. Confliction with two-way communications. With social media and mobile ads, the viewer is often intent on communicating with friends. Ads are an unwanted interference for many.

6. Time poorness. So many factors on the Internet are speed based. Web page load speed, how quickly people can find info, etc. If a web page takes longer than 2 seconds to load, people are hitting their back buttons. People just don’t spend the time exposed to an ad in the digital world that they do in the offline world.

Do folk have any comments?
    Regs,
    JohnW

Aidan
    • Total posts: 1,125
    Up

That slideshow leaves more questions than answers!

Why would 96% of them say they will increase their digital branding budgets next year (some of them massively so) if they are not happy?

I wonder what proportion of them did things properly as 38% of them disagreed the promise was not delivered – perhaps those who actually knew what they were doing out of the bunch who took a stab at it?!

There is some mention of paid search being used for branding? Who advised them on that? Its not normally adviseable?

I note only 19% of the respondents strongly agreed the ‘promise was not delivered’…

Confused…

JohnW
    Up
    Aidan, post: 194482 wrote:
    Why would 96% of them say they will increase their digital branding budgets next year (some of them massively so) if they are not happy?
    Hi Aidan,
    A slide show of market research leaves a lot to be desired. All it has going for it is that it has been “liked” by someone from Millward Brown Digital (the survey originator).

The key issue is that it specifically addresses that small area of marketing communications – brand marketing.

All can offer are some opinions or possible answers…

1. Speed of change
    Fortune 500 companies don’t move fast.

So much of what is happening now is less than 6 years old. (I believe that is the date of the first smartphone.)

Many of the ad placement media questions listed in the survey are post smartphones.

2. What do I spend my budget on?
    This may be the main reason for increasing online advertising expenditure.

Historically, Fortune 500 companies would likely be spending $billions on advertising media. Offline ad costs are 90% in the area of ad distribution. The cost of the TV, radio, print, etc. placement.

There is little “media placement” cost on the Internet. Big changes in online ad expenditure can come from small cuts in offline media budgets for the Fortune 500.

3. Accountability
    I suspect your Fortune 500 corporate marketer is still trying to work out how to measure this group of new media. Accountability and ROI are biggies in Fortune 500 company marketing depts.

I suspect there is a lot of experimentation planned.
    Regs,
    JohnW

SheInspires
    • Total posts: 247
    Up

I must admit, I’ve preferred for over 10 years online marketing to print advertising simply because of the return on investment.

As a small business owner I haven’t looked to the Fortune 500 companies for creative online marketing and community building ideas, I’ve looked to innovative entrepreneurs with a positive and can do attitude.

I’ve found the insights and recommendations of The New Rules of Marketing and PR by David Meerman Scott to be rewarding and wonder how many of the unhappy Fortune 500 advertising men have implemented these sorts of strategies?

When done with some smarts, nurturing and care it is entirely possible to create great relationships with online customers and followers.

If you want to have the online audience being part of your sales funnel then you need to do it well and have an enabling attitude towards technology, marketing channels and a solid understanding of your buyer personas.

For me, if I didn’t have an online presence I would only have half a business.

As for ideas on the magazines I’ve been really enjoying as a business owner Lisa Messenger’s Collective to be full of great interviews and stories.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.