Home – New Forums Find the help you need Who should you take advice from?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    yourvirtualboard
    • Total posts: 569
    Up
    ::

I’ve recently been referred to a potential client that before we’d set an appointment wanted to speak to clients I have done something similar for and this strange request (strange because it was before we met – quite normal after we meet) made me think. If I was looking for someone to do some work for me I’d normally want similar comfort, wouldn’t you?

When looking at someone to help you and your business, shouldn’t they have some of the things they are offering in place in their own businesses? Walking the talk as they say. In my case – Business planning, shouldn’t they have one? Profitable, shouldn’t they be? Marketing, how do they do it and are they successful? Giving advice about business, shouldn’t they have a good track record of running successful businesses over more than a year or two?

There are many great sources of help for your business out there to help in areas that aren’t your core skill but make sure those offering you something are able to demonstrate it clearly in their own areas too.

James Millar
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,739
    Up

This is a very good point Harry. I’ve seen so many new clients with wasted dollars on misguided coaching or consulting (Equally the advisor has a responsibility to determine if they can really add value or not).

Helping build better businesses and better lives with expert financial and taxation advice. [email protected] www.360partners.com.au 03 9005 4900
    Clarkey
    • Total posts: 25
    Up

Great question, and one that came up last week during a valuable discussion with an associate who I guess is taking on a mentor type role for me personally.

We had a general chat about what my future directions would be. We went through lots of options, the pros / cons, the ‘best fit’ roles / industries, the corporate vs business vs consulting avenues etc.

After going through some topics that helped define what I liked doing the most, or was most effective at, he formed the opinion that my nature lends itself well to the world of consulting.

We explored this further and came up with some relevant questions:
    – What do I know that people would pay for?
    – How do you gain the trust / belief of potential clients, in order to gain the contract?

Obviously its a lot tougher than finding a good product that people want / need.

He agreed that the best method to get started would be to use a network that was capable of delivering quality referals.

Advice: Only from someone you can trust

yourvirtualboard
    • Total posts: 569
    Up

James, I agree whole heartedly on the advisor having the responsibility of being able to add value. I have a 2 question standard for myself when looking to engage with any new clients 1) can I work with this person and 2) can I add value – if I cannot answer these 2 questions positively then I never engage. By adding value I quantify it into my deliverables being worth more than my fee.

Clarkey – that’s excellent and nailed in one sentence “Advice: Only from someone you can trust”

BB
    • Total posts: 215
    Up

“Advice: Only from someone that you can trust”

That’s excellent!

But – the “someone you can trust” needs to also be able to give relevant advice. There’s not much point in getting advice from somebody who has no experience (or concept) of the subject / matter that you’re seeking advice about.

So, I’d like to add my 2 cents worth to the debate (I’d actually add more, but I’m a Budget Bitch) –

** Customers who don’t know you, look for signs that you ‘walk your talk’.**

B.B.

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

What about references from your satisfied customers posted on your website, this may prompt more customers seeking your advice, without having to do a credit check.

Just a thought

Leisa D
    • Total posts: 563
    Up

Genuine testimonials from happy clients are a great promotional tool, however for those of us who offer personalised service to each individual client need to do more than prove we have the skills – it’s about matching the client to the supplier, much as we’d stick with a particular hairdresser we feel a rapport with. When looking for a supplier I tend to make my final decision based on who “feels” right.

Jake@EmroyPrint
    • Total posts: 1,117
    Up

Burgo makes a fantastic point – Testimonials are a great way to showcase professionalism.

– Jake

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.