Home – New Forums Other discussions Who to use as a business reference?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    ScarlettR
    • Total posts: 396
    Up
    ::

So my husband and I are looking to move. I’m in my third year running my business, and every application for real estate needs a business reference. Since I don’t work underneath anyone I have no idea who to use as a reference- what is the standard procedure for that? I’ve tried googling it but not had any luck. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Edit: Nevermind! I was using incorrect google terms, professional references gave me the answer:

Your best bet is to keep your references as professional as possible. Your neighbor probably isn’t the best way to go, unless you’ve done odd jobs for them, like lawn care or babysitting.

Okay to use:
    Former supervisor
    Former coworkers
    Clients (lawn care, babysitting, dog walking, house keeping, etc…)
    Teachers
    Organizations you’ve volunteered for

Avoid using:
    Family
    Friends
    Fiance
    Your cousin’s friend’s daughter’s boyfriend
    A famous person you don’t know (I’ve heard of this happening before)

Basically, you want to keep it to people who can attest to your work ethic. By using people who can give specific examples as to how reliable you are, you will be setting yourself up to look like an ideal employee.

When you do land that big interview, bring a copy of three references with you. Even if they don’t ask for it, offer it up before you leave and encourage them to call. It can look something like this:

Reference Name, Reference relationship
    Company Name
    Company Address
    Reference phone number
    Reference email

As always, make sure you ask your references if you can use them before you put them down. Also, if you asked them a while ago but are getting back into the job search game, give them a head’s up that you are starting your search again and they may be hearing from someone. This will also remind them to keep an eye out for any openings for you!

http://www.snagajob.com/resources/who-can-i-use-as-a-reference/

Totally Awesome
    • Total posts: 63
    Up
    ScarlettR, post: 198029 wrote:
    So my husband and I are looking to move. I’m in my third year running my business, and every application for real estate needs a business reference. Since I don’t work underneath anyone I have no idea who to use as a reference- what is the standard procedure for that? I’ve tried googling it but not had any luck. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

With every Real Estate Application I have made it clear that I am self-employed and ask them what will satisfy them.

The answer does vary.. and I respond with what they say.

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

What about business suppliers? A supplier that can show that you pay your bills on time. That’s a business reference.

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

Your accountant?

ScarlettR
    • Total posts: 396
    Up

Thanks for the recommendation guys :) The accountant might not be a bad idea!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.