Home – New Forums New here? Share your story WHS – The forgotten obligation

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Rick Fox
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    ::

Hi all,

Firstly I wanted to introduce myself and my Company, Fox Safety Consulting. I’ve been operating for just under 3 year technically, but have only seriously started trading in 20/21 FY. I love what I do and find it incredibly rewarding to work with a client to make their workplace safer. It’s challenging running a company and being a family man at the same time, and I don’t always get the balance right. I am trying to be better tomorrow, than I was today.

What I have noticed in this time, is a lot of businesses will go to great lengths to set up payroll systems, crm systems and various other systems to save time/money and generate leads or track customers. For good reason too, obviously. But how much consideration are you giving to the safety of your workers? The reason I ask, is that there are companies that exist that will go through the following process to procure your business. Please read this before you sign on the dotted line:

1: Cold Call to see if you’re currently managing your WHS obligation. They may even offer to undertake a “spot check” or “mini audit” on your business for you. Guess what? You will probably find that the outcome of this spot check isn’t great. We better send our customer service rep to meet with you.

2: the Customer service rep will meet you at the agreed time and proceed to paint your safety picture in a rather grim light. You’ll need some support here, and they may or may not bring up Industrial Manslaughter at this point, if it exists in your state or territory.

3: the rep will detail how their “tailored” solutions will help keep your workers safe and you as the business owner out of prison. You will be told that you will have 24 hour round the clock support and that you will also be insured against prosecution (should the worst case scenario eventuate), for an additional fee, of course.

4: you will be given a price that will likely be tied up in a multi year deal, with penalties for breaking the contract early. You won’t be told about them here though. The rep will call and call, all to get your commitment to the contract. Seriously, expect your phone to ring off the hook.

5: if you commit, you’ll be asked to write a Google or Trust Pilot review (that conveniently mentions the name of the rep) to say how delighted you are with the service.

6: a WHS consultant who may or may not be familiar with your industry will turn up, ask you some questions and then go away for a few hours. They’ll then come back at the end of the day and deliver you your shiny WHS system as well as a couple of reports. You best follow the advice in the reports and system, otherwise the insurance mentioned in step 3 becomes void.

7: you call the company for advice and receive the most bland, generic advice. You won’t speak to the same person twice, and indeed you may be on hold for a good period of time to boot.

Some may be familiar with the company that I’m loosely referring to above. Some may be familiar with their modus operandi already. It doesn’t really matter.

What I want you, as the business owner to know is that there are many free resources available to you when you’re starting out. Got to your state or territory specific WHS website and begin to understand your obligations. Factor that in to the cost of your operation. If you need next level advice, reach out to a professional WHS consultant and let them talk you through it but by bit. Remember, having a safety management system and not using it, is probably worse than not having one at all.

My Company is there to Support your Safety Journey, and there are many like us in the space around the country. You may think you’re saving time and money by signing on with a giant conglomerate, but as the old saying goes, all that glitters ain’t gold.

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up

Hi And Welcome to Flying Solo Rick. It is great to have you!

Thank you for joining our community and posting.

It sounds like there are a lot of sharks out there??!!

Cheers
    ~Paul

Rick Fox
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Hi And Welcome to Flying Solo Rick. It is great to have you!

Thank you for joining our community and posting.

It sounds like there are a lot of sharks out there??!!

Cheers
    ~Paul

Hi Paul,

Just one VERY large shark really. They work in volume not only in the WHS space, but the HR space, which is their main focus.

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up

Hi Rick,

I was in a business group with a NSW Workcover consultant called Mark Stipic.

Mark is a great guy, works really hard at positioning himself as an industry expert and does a lot of things just really well.

Here is a link to his site.

Hopefully you can get something out of it.

Cheers
    Paul

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.