Home – New Forums Tell me straight… Why are you a soloist?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #995284
    LauraFisher
    Member
    • Total posts: 115
    Up
    0
    ::

    What is the primary reason you decided to become a soloist?

    #1200930
    MichaelF
    Member
    • Total posts: 34
    Up
    0
    ::

    So I could play mini golf on a Tuesday morning and not have to call in sick :)

    That plus being able to choose projects that are fulfilling to complete and allow me to grow.

    #1200931
    bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    0
    ::

    Laura, I just wrote a blow by blow reason, and deleted the lot, because if my previous employer saw it I would most likely be locked up for the rest of eternity, so just to keep it simple, get out of corporate BS, and be able to spend more quality time with my kids,

    #1200932
    LeisaM
    Member
    • Total posts: 32
    Up
    0
    ::

    So that I could focus on doing work that aligns with my values, is enjoyable, helps me to grow professionally, and provides the best possible value to clients.

    2 years down the track I’ve mostly been able to do that, but not quite to the extent I’d like. So I’m currently doing some strategic planning to really get focused on work that meets those criteria (and a few others), to make sure I’m keeping true to what I love.

    Despite having young kids it wasn’t all about ‘work life balance’ which is probably good, because being a soloist doesn’t always work out that way! An unexpected benefit is that I feel like I get to choose my colleagues by developing great partnerships and relationships with (only) other soloists I really like.

    #1200933
    LauraFisher
    Member
    • Total posts: 115
    Up
    0
    ::
    MichaelF, post: 238134, member: 79983 wrote:
    So I could play mini golf on a Tuesday morning and not have to call in sick :)

    That plus being able to choose projects that are fulfilling to complete and allow me to grow.

    Mini golf. Lol! Love it.
    If a regular job came up that gave you flexibility to play mini golf and worked on projects that you felt would be fulfilling, would you take it? Or is it the whole concept of having the control over your choices the reason you go solo?

    #1200934
    LauraFisher
    Member
    • Total posts: 115
    Up
    0
    ::
    bb1, post: 238140, member: 53375 wrote:
    Laura, I just wrote a blow by blow reason, and deleted the lot, because if my previous employer saw it I would most likely be locked up for the rest of eternity, so just to keep it simple, get out of corporate BS, and be able to spend more quality time with my kids,

    Oh, I love to hear the nitty gritty details. Gives me such insight into why people leave, which is what i’m interested in. Feel free to send me a personal message if you’d like to keep in confidential!

    I’m definitely hearing you with the QT time with kids. I have a 2 yr old and am just realising how quick the early years go – don’t want to miss a minute!

    #1200935
    LauraFisher
    Member
    • Total posts: 115
    Up
    0
    ::
    LeisaM, post: 238161, member: 69466 wrote:
    So that I could focus on doing work that aligns with my values, is enjoyable, helps me to grow professionally, and provides the best possible value to clients.

    2 years down the track I’ve mostly been able to do that, but not quite to the extent I’d like. So I’m currently doing some strategic planning to really get focused on work that meets those criteria (and a few others), to make sure I’m keeping true to what I love.

    Despite having young kids it wasn’t all about ‘work life balance’ which is probably good, because being a soloist doesn’t always work out that way! An unexpected benefit is that I feel like I get to choose my colleagues by developing great partnerships and relationships with (only) other soloists I really like.

    Oh I love what you say about it’s not all work life balance – because that’s so true. I think others think that we soloists are all about have the perfect balance and being able to play mini golf (hehe) when we want. But half the time we end up working worse hours and more of them! But as you said, the other factors such as meaningful work is now in our control. Also, I never thought about the choosing your colleagues concept – very good point!

    #1200936
    gingerbeardhs
    Member
    • Total posts: 90
    Up
    0
    ::

    I became a soloist so that I could have better control around my studies. I can now book work around my contact times etc and it’s great

    #1200937
    LauraFisher
    Member
    • Total posts: 115
    Up
    0
    ::
    gingerbeardhs, post: 238594, member: 84763 wrote:
    I became a soloist so that I could have better control around my studies. I can now book work around my contact times etc and it’s great

    Awesome. And by the way, you have the best business name I have ever come across. :D

    #1200938
    gingerbeardhs
    Member
    • Total posts: 90
    Up
    0
    ::

    Thanks Very much :D I’m committed to the branding now

    #1200939
    LauraFisher
    Member
    • Total posts: 115
    Up
    0
    ::
    gingerbeardhs, post: 238643, member: 84763 wrote:
    Thanks Very much :D I’m committed to the branding now

    So committed that you’ve grown a ginger beard!! Hahaha love it. Is your website or facebook the best page to share? I have lots of friends in Canberra so I’ll share your details with them – they’ll love the branding as well for sure!

    #1200940
    gingerbeardhs
    Member
    • Total posts: 90
    Up
    0
    ::

    Thanks very much!

    The website is probably best, it’s where I put most of my energy. I’m also very active on Facebook, but the page doesn’t send me notifications to the mobile when I get notifications from the page. If someone uses the contact form or sends me an email, I get it almost immediately.

    #1200941
    talart
    Member
    • Total posts: 68
    Up
    0
    ::

    Have been a soloist since 1990. It was and still is a decision that was based upon being able to move freely and work with the changes to come, back then. Here I am today with success and a great quality of life using my knowledge and work ethic through a medium that did not even exist when making the decision.

    #1200942
    LauraFisher
    Member
    • Total posts: 115
    Up
    0
    ::
    talart, post: 238762, member: 85074 wrote:
    Have been a soloist since 1990. It was and still is a decision that was based upon being able to move freely and work with the changes to come, back then. Here I am today with success and a great quality of life using my knowledge and work ethic through a medium that did not even exist when making the decision.

    Must have been hard back in the 90s! How did you manage to succeed back then before everyone was so easily connect through internet?

    #1200944
    talart
    Member
    • Total posts: 68
    Up
    0
    ::
    LauraFisher, post: 239105, member: 40107 wrote:
    Must have been hard back in the 90s! How did you manage to succeed back then before everyone was so easily connect through internet?

    In the 1990’s I had several fails. Access to the market place was limited and I went to the direct path. Literally knocking on doors selling my own products door to door. Rental of shop space was way too steep for a small business. I learnt the trade from other people I worked for and the direct selling was the best area. Sold for others before moving into selling for myself.

    The internet opened the doors to the wider market place. Ebay alone made it possible for me to trade with goods imported from USA and China. Developing my own products, this time using the net again cut costs and improved sales. I love the exhilaration of having to be on the pulse of creation, supply and demand in being successful.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.